Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2018, 09:12 AM

OT: The Diesel might not be dead after all...

Looks like Bosch just found the silver bullet to save the Diesel engine (for now):

From a Financial Times article:
"The company said that it can achieve average NOx readings of just 13 milligrams per kilometre in real world conditions, versus the 120mg that are permitted in 2020."

Personally I think electric vehicles are the only way in the long-term, but until then it would be nice to have a Diesel alternative.

EDIT: Other source that does not require a subscription: http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...diesel-engines

Last edited by Gsinill; 04-25-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:22 AM
Administrator

i can't get to the article without jumping through some hoops, but what does bosch have to do with it? they make sensors, etc correct?

with how efficient, lightweight and powerful the modern crop of gas engines are, i see very little demand for diesel passenger cars at the moment.

we're still a long way off all-electric vehicles replacing ICE engines, especially for anything larger than small commuter cars.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:25 AM
Classics Fan

I read an article on bloomberg the other day that said China is adding electric buses at a staggering rate, such that it is actually curtailing oil demand. They said it is the equivalent of London's entire fleet of buses, about every month.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...e-oil-industry

I'd much rather see these big vehicles go electric, they are at extremely high utilization rates compared to normal passenger cars, and really take advantage of the torque electric motors provide.

Until the battery technology gets better for passenger cars, and charging becomes faster, I don't see it as a viable alternative.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i can't get to the article without jumping through some hoops, but what does bosch have to do with it? they make sensors, etc correct?.
I didn't read the article, but Bosch is the biggest supplier of diesel fuel injection systems in the world. Which means they probably have a pretty big hand in overall engine design as well.

It's my understanding that alot of the mechanical engineering in autos are done by subs. To put things in perspective, I even know one guy who's company only designs and sells hinges and latches.

Last edited by BobbyJones; 04-25-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
i can't get to the article without jumping through some hoops, but what does bosch have to do with it? they make sensors, etc correct?

with how efficient, lightweight and powerful the modern crop of gas engines are, i see very little demand for diesel passenger cars at the moment.

we're still a long way off all-electric vehicles replacing ICE engines, especially for anything larger than small commuter cars.
Bosch has ALOT to do with diesels! The make the whole injection system for modern diesels and a bunch of other stuff, and were also part of the whole diesel scandal.

Modern diesels can still achieve probably 50% better fuel economy than modern gassers, I see that as worthwhile. Modern gas engines are also emitting more and more particulates as they get more efficient.

Agreed about electric vehicles. I certainly see them as the future, but we are not there yet.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Not just sensors, supplier of whole engine management systems, ABS, injection systems etc...

As a matter of fact, both, hardware and software used by VW for cheating were actually from Bosch.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/01/b...ettlement.html

Quote:
Assuming same impact on the environment, I would pick a Diesel anytime over a gas engine.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:49 AM

I wonder if it could be adapted to existing cars?
Old 04-25-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Looks like Bosch just found the silver bullet to save the Diesel engine (for now):
Unfortunately, Bosch was also pretty instrumental in killing the diesel engine.

They were complicit in the VAG (VW/Porsche/Audi) emissions scandal. It's unlikely that we will ever see another diesel engine in the US from VAG, and many other regions are also moving away from diesel, towards hybrids.

VW will be buying back my TDi Touareg as a result...and I'm not happy about it...it's a wonderful SUV with great handling and fuel economy. Same basic platform as the Porsche Cayenne. But VW (with Bosch's help) turned it into an orphan and offered me silly money to give it back to them...

Last edited by C40_guy; 04-25-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
I wonder if it could be adapted to existing cars?
Answer is NO according to a more comprehensive article in the German magazine "Der Spiegel".
Old 04-25-2018, 10:11 AM

diesels aren't going anywhere anytime soon in the us with our deficient train infrastructure and highway trucked goods dependency.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
It's unlikely that we will ever see another diesel engine in the US from VAG....
VW is now all-in on electric, and among the those atop the leaderboard. It's more than unlikely... in fact it WON'T happen. They're too committed to electric, plus could never withstand the negative PR that would come from going down the diesel path again. Bosch is not going to change VWs strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Assuming same impact on the environment, I would pick a Diesel anytime over a gas engine.
Same here, but I look forward to an electric future.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Unfortunately, Bosch was also pretty instrumental in killing the diesel engine.
It's unlikely that we will ever see another diesel engine in the US from VAG.
I thinks it's too early to call...
I am actually really surprised how VAG and Bosch got away with a black eye so far.
Remember the Deepwater Horizon? Don't think people are boycotting BP over it anymore.

Time heals all wounds...
Just wait till the gas price creeps up to five bucks again.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:43 AM

if you can produce a diesel engine that clean i'd like to see the real numbers on emissions from electric cars. anyone have any info on average emissions from production of an electric vehicle itself to the displaced pollution electricity creates? not to mention that to own one an electric vehicle one must basically be a homeowner to charge it. that is less and less likely for younger generations who live in urban areas, where most pollution is concentrated.

i own a hybrid and would love to believe such a diesel vehicle is possible, but i've been reading a lot about the increased risk of certain cancers simply from driving a passenger vehicle running on diesel

Last edited by cinema; 04-25-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:06 AM

What is displaced pollution????

Electric cars dont produce air contaminants and they dont use regular motor oil, just in those two you have a big difference with any vehicle in maintenance and contamination (eg: i have an oil leak in my car, im dropping oil all over town) . THe problem are the batteries, nobody talks about that.

The other detail is that I always had the impression that the automakers know how to make cleaner cars since centuries ago, but looks like they dont want to. Stuff talked in articles are things that had been around for the longest time.

Need a car now, looking at electric right now.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:14 AM
bykhed

Mazda CX-5 diesel appears good to go (soon) with California approval granted on April 19th:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...or-cx-5-diesel