Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2018, 09:34 AM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
I read the title and thought Peter Sellers was alive on ebay.
He is:
Old 04-25-2018, 09:42 AM

Coincidentally last Sunday, I just watched Being There again. Many movies don't hold up well over time. Modern production values skew our perceptions, but I thought Being There was still quite good.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:25 PM

I bought a CX frame on eBay last fall, the seller had good feedback. It did come packed in a frame box, but the padding...2 tires randomly thrown in.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
If the item arrived as described, and undamaged, then I'm not really sure what the problem is?
Yeah I kinda thought the same thing but what do I know. Unless I'm missing something, details...we're talking about tires...right?
Old 04-25-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post
Coincidentally last Sunday, I just watched Being There again. Many movies don't hold up well over time. Modern production values skew our perceptions, but I thought Being There was still quite good.
I understand...
Old 04-25-2018, 10:25 PM

Wow! What a piece of ish that guy is!
Old 04-26-2018, 12:29 AM

Maybe he is trying to lower his overhead and pass the savings on to the customer.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:53 AM

I didn't think USPS would accept tires like that, great idea, after all they are going to be ridden on the street and in dirt. Though I wouldn't expect Compass to send them out like that.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:45 AM
Randomhead

A tire inside of a tyvek envelope should be fine. I don't think tires need too much protection, but being shipped like that is asking for trouble.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:51 AM

I've had plenty of tires shipped in priority mail envelopes without issues. I'd be annoyed if an item that I purchased was hanging out of the packaging.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:05 AM

I’m just getting tired of used bikes in general. Had a frame arrive from eBay this week with corrosion bubbles under the paint around the bottle braze-ons and what looks like a hairline crack in the DT.

It was cheap and was going to be a low-budget bike for travel and training, but that stuff wasn’t disclosed and is more than just a little annoying, so now I yet again have to wait through the eBay dispute process.

Nice seller so far - we’ll see.

You get what you pay for I guess.

Should probably just wait for a Road Logic Breakaway to pop up on here...

UPDATE :: seller has been very responsive and we worked out a solution - I'm paying him $100 for the CK headset and Campy BB cups, he's refunding me the entire purchase/shipping, and I'm donating the frame to our local non-profit bike co-op - and sending him the donation receipt for his tax purposes...

There are good people on eBay and everywhere else in the world. Let's not let the few b@$t@rd$ grind us down...

Last edited by Clean39T; 04-26-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:05 AM
Randomhead

I don't buy a lot on ebay, but bike parts are one thing that I almost never buy there unless it's from a shop.

Ebay bike part condition translator:
New == used
New other == well used
Used == my friends refused to ride with me until I got this replaced.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:13 AM

Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship View Post
Yeah I kinda thought the same thing but what do I know. Unless I'm missing something, details...we're talking about tires...right?
I am not getting it. When you buy something, even on EBay, and you pay for shipping (either directly or indirectly) there is an expectation that the item is packed to prevent in shipment damage. My feelings, and I believe of the OP, is that it should be carefully packed (as a minimum, completely enclosed) so that the likely hood of damage from handling is reduced.

As I noted, I got a high end bicycle frame sandwiched between 2 pieces of cardboard, I spent about 14 days resolving the issue with EBay to return a frame that was damaged (not really visible, but the rear triangle was out of alignment). Dealing with returns are a hassle and I believe you have a "right" to expect that items are appropriately packed.

Just for reference, you have seen videos of package handlers throwing items around, a nick in the bead or sidewall likely might not be obvious and may impact the useability of the tire over the long run.

Obviously if you think this is ok, that is your opinion, but seems wrong to call out the OP.

Best

Ray
Old 04-26-2018, 10:47 AM

and here i was mad that some jerks are trying to get 425 for a used paul smith kask, when you an buy them brand new direct from paul smith for 325.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:19 AM
Evil Genius

I pride myself on my packing, so I don't understand some people's reluctance to spend a little time and money making certain their merchandise arrives and that the buyer is happy.

I see much of the same problem in my other hobby, music. In particular, heavy, expensive items such as synthesizers and keyboards sometimes arrive hastily tossed into a box with half-a-load of packing peanuts. I spend HOURS picking the bits out of the keys, assuming the instrument has arrived in usable condition at all.

Even flight cases BUILT for the instruments aren't good for shipping. I recently received a 70-pound keyboard that was tossed in an old flight case with well-crushed padding. Needless to say, now I have an old broken keyboard with keys broken off in the middle...and they're almost unsourceable to replace them.

Some people.