Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2018, 12:29 PM
Classics Fan

Closing the Book on the 2018 Classics Season

Wolfpack domination seems to sum it up pretty well.

As boring as that is, there were a few shining spots. Was great to see Benoot get a breakthrough win at Strade Bianche. The second place finishers in Flanders and Roubaix were perhaps more impressive rides than the actual winners. Mads Pederson's ride in Flanders, and Dillier's ride at Roubaix.

And some American results also with top 10 finishes from Phinney in Roubaix, and Craddock in Amstel, and Woods in LBL if you want to count Canada as American... the continent, not the country.

Much has been made of the negative racing. I wonder how much of that was QS dominance, and how much was the shift to 7 riders per team. With one less guy for teams to burn, it seems possible that this is the result. Not sure if they will eventually figure out a better approach.

Still, it gives me a team to root against. No one likes see such dominance. And this is coming from a Patriots fan
Old 04-23-2018, 12:33 PM

nice summary. I thought some good racing took place, but also a couple odd finishes. perhaps the dominance of one team left the others scratching their heads? and theres obviously a few marked men in the peloton these days. but when isn't there?
Old 04-23-2018, 01:24 PM

I actually found this spring's classic racing engaging. In many of the races from Strade Bianche through LBL, the winner turned himself inside out to stay away. While QS was the dominant team, both of their monument wins came from outstanding solo efforts. Terpstra had to drop Nibali to get away at Flanders and then solo up to (and through) another group. Jungels timed his move at LBL perfectly and then TT'd with great strength. Was 2018 a "classic" spring classic season? Probably not, but it was a year that saw some great racing and strong performances from several riders.

Greg
Old 04-23-2018, 01:28 PM

I hate the Patriots and don’t especially like Quickstep as a team, but I like a lot of the riders as individuals because of how they race with...heart? (Mainly Alaphilippe)
Old 04-23-2018, 01:38 PM

Here's one of the things that I hate about doping: while it's possible that QuickStep is as clean as the next team, the last time I can remember seeing dominance like this was with Mapei in the classics or LA's "blue train" in the tour. Seeing this many different guys winning from the same team makes me inherently suspicious, when I kind of wish I had the innocence for that ugly spectre not to raise its head. And I apologize for bringing it up, because there's no good way to argue for or against it.

Setting that aside, it's remarkable that QuickStep has amassed so many different talented riders. If all of the winners were on different teams, I think we'd be celebrating the year as one for the ages. I can't think of a year when there were so many solo (or effectively/nearly solo, like Sagan and Pederson) winners holding off a chase group from a long-range attack. And, as kramnnim says, QS has some great riders that have tremendous heart/

But there is a distinct tactical advantage to having a teammate who is a solid finisher in the chasing pack -- the other chasers simply aren't going to be willing to drag that teammate up to the line. If you could script a winning move, you'd want a teammate in the early break up ahead, bridge to that break, and then have a good sprinter as another teammate to hinder the chase behind. QS came awfully close to that a lot of times, and won a lot of times.

Last edited by mhespenheide; 04-23-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:59 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
If all of the winners were on different teams, I think we'd be celebrating the year as one for the ages. I can't think of a year when there were so many solo (or effectively/nearly solo, like Sagan and Pederson) winners holding off a chase group from a long-range attack.
Agreed there. No one wants to see a 20 man group come to the finish in Roubaix or Oudenarde (well, maybe some people do... but I don't). Even in Sanremo, where you usually get a group, we had a solo winner. Can't complain about the excitement of the racing.

I'm pretty sure that there is no salary cap in cycling, but I think it could use one. Granted, there are other more significant structural issues with the business. But if you could solve that other stuff, I think they should attempt to create more parity between teams. When you have this sort of dominance, it makes it that much harder to convince sponsors to shell out money for any other team, which puts a pinch on team budgets which trickles down to riders and support staff, and makes it that much harder to win. Not the kind of feedback loop you want for a sustainable sport.

To Mark, this is why I ultimately like the Patriots. In a league so focused on creating parity, to have consistent out performance is really impressive. But that is a conversation for that patriots thread

On the topic of doping (and I think you are implying team organized doping), would not surprise me. The pressure is there. Less than a year ago, QS was on the verge of losing their sponsorship after Boonen retired. (http://www.velonews.com/2017/06/tour...4-years_441585) Maybe that was a bunch of hot air, meant to motivate fan interest and sponsor dollars, but it wasn't clear to an outsider whether the team was done for. I am sure the expectations and pressure to win is very high on that team, so much so that Viviani was crying after he came in second.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Wolfpack domination seems to sum it up pretty well.

Still, it gives me a team to root against. No one likes see such dominance. And this is coming from a Patriots fan
Do you think the same statement can be made about the Boels-Dolmans women's team? I don't have an axe to grind with them, I am a fan of several of their riders, but it seems that the other teams are many times lining up to race for 2nd. They, like QS, have recruited wisely and it's paying off. I haven't seen the wins spread around their team like at QS, due to AvdB's dominant riding/form, but seems to me they're the strongest women's team out there. Do y'all think it's getting a little bit one-sided already?
I'm good with their record but know some that think they are too strong for the women's side of the sport & too much domination will be a negative. Curious what the folks here think.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:53 PM

My $0.02: Quick-Step's season is effectively done. They are a team built for the spring classics. Their sponsors expect performance in the February-April time frame. They have hired and groomed a spring classics team par excellence. Before we crown them "king of the year 2018," let's see how the remainder of the spring, summer, and fall racing pans out.

Greg
Old 04-23-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
My $0.02: Quick-Step's season is effectively done. They are a team built for the spring classics. Their sponsors expect performance in the February-April time frame. They have hired and groomed a spring classics team par excellence. Before we crown them "king of the year 2018," let's see how the remainder of the spring, summer, and fall racing pans out.

Greg
This is my take as well. If they put 4 people in the top 15 of any of the 3 major grand tours, then we can start to talk about team-organized enhancement. Until then, this is some big strong guys from Benelux doing what they were paid to do.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that there is no salary cap in cycling, but I think it could use one. Granted, there are other more significant structural issues with the business. But if you could solve that other stuff, I think they should attempt to create more parity between teams. When you have this sort of dominance, it makes it that much harder to convince sponsors to shell out money for any other team, which puts a pinch on team budgets which trickles down to riders and support staff, and makes it that much harder to win. Not the kind of feedback loop you want for a sustainable sport.

To Mark, this is why I ultimately like the Patriots. In a league so focused on creating parity, to have consistent out performance is really impressive. But that is a conversation for that patriots thread
(I don't necessarily like the Patriots, nor do I respect every play that they run nor every player that the employ, but I have a great deal of respect for their organization in building a team that consistently plays at the top level)

There's no salary cap in cycling, which is part of what has driven Sky's dominance in the grand tours and Chris Froome's success in 4 TdF's. (And LA did the same thing with Postal.) The best way to defeat Mikel Landa and prevent him from truly competing against Froome? Co-opt him so that he's a super-domestique.

I don't even know if that's a 100% valid critique against QuickStep, though, because a month ago Bob Jungels was not the breakout star that he suddenly is today. And you probably could have bought out Lampaert's contract if you wanted to.

I wish we had a group of teams more like soccer, with ongoing geographic organization but sponsored by a succession of different businesses. That way fans can keep their loyalty even when sponsors change. I do think there should be a luxury tax as well, so that rider salary expenses above a certain level cost twice as much with the surplus spread around to all the other teams. It would help set up a couple Italian Continental squads, at least...
Old 04-23-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post

Greg
If they win stages in the grand tours, and either Lombardy or Classica San Sebastian or (one of their riders wins) the World's, I'd have to give them accolades for team of the year, no matter what another team wins. The number of wins across both the cobbled classics and the Ardennes classics is astonishing.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
If they win stages in the grand tours, and either Lombardy or Classica San Sebastian or (one of their riders wins) the World's, I'd have to give them accolades for team of the year, no matter what another team wins. The number of wins across both the cobbled classics and the Ardennes classics is astonishing.
Yup, I agree with that assessment. Looking forward to the many months yet to come in this year's season!

Greg
Old 04-23-2018, 07:25 PM

specialized?

It was a good classics season for Specialized. Their bikes were ridden to victory in Flanders, Roubaix, and LBL. Add in Gent Wevelgem and some of the others, it's pretty impressive.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:

I think you would need some kind of franchise model in cycling to effect any kind of a cap. All of the teams would need to have ownership of the sport in some fashion and be subject to some form of collective control by an overall league or consortium of the other teams as happens in the big ball sports in the US. Cycling is still the Wild West when it comes to the business side. Every entity is independent and is only concerned with their own survival.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:52 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
I don't even know if that's a 100% valid critique against QuickStep, though, because a month ago Bob Jungels was not the breakout star that he suddenly is today. And you probably could have bought out Lampaert's contract if you wanted to.
I would say he was a breakout star when he wore the pink jersey for 3 days in 2016, at age 23.

He's won a giro stage before, as well (not the same year as he wore pink). I'd say LBL is his biggest win thus far, but I'd say it confirms the talent he has displayed more so than a breakthrough out of no where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
I think you would need some kind of franchise model in cycling to effect any kind of a cap. All of the teams would need to have ownership of the sport in some fashion and be subject to some form of collective control by an overall league or consortium of the other teams as happens in the big ball sports in the US. Cycling is still the Wild West when it comes to the business side. Every entity is independent and is only concerned with their own survival.
For sure. It is a mess, and is perpetuated by a few teams dominating.