Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2018, 01:01 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
I am a Californian, born and raised, UC Santa Barbara grad, who choose to move north. The playful exaggerations are yours to take as you like. I have a sense of humor about my home, perhpas others don't. bit of a case of the mondays in here it seems.

yes, California is a massive state with a lot of different things to offer. if my statements are offensive to anyone, sorry about that. and sorry to derail a nice ride report, i was not aware talking about a geographical region would be taken personally.
Isn't starting your post off with "first, california is nothing like New Zealand" a bit needlessly aggressive? This isn't about having a sense or humor or not. And it's not about Mondays.

My original comment was pertinent to Nick's thread and in keeping with the spirit of riding through some great countryside. Your comment was pertinent only to being argumentative. Starting off with "first, california is nothing like New Zealand" is about your choice of words, not my mood or my sense of humor.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
... and you didn't drop by to say hi? Bad form.

my bad!

i assume you can tell by my post above with the picture where i had a few beers and a delicious burger. fun spot.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:06 PM

Such a great state. I came out here to do my Post Doc and told myself I would return when I moved away to Portland, OR. Through work and riding I have seen almost all of it. The geographic diversity is incredible. I chuckled the the dashboard temperature picture as I took one somewhere between Yuma and El Centro once.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
my bad!

i assume you can tell by my post above with the picture where i had a few beers and a delicious burger. fun spot.
Yep, I would have sent you to my favorite local restaurant/brewery only 3 minutes away (on foot) across the river.

Next time.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:10 PM
aka RAEKWON

I been following on insta... looks awesome. Glad you had some good times... I am jel for sure
Old 04-23-2018, 01:52 PM

OT from an otherwise excellent travelogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post

if my statements are offensive to anyone, sorry about that. and sorry to derail a nice ride report, i was not aware talking about a geographical region would be taken personally.
As a native Californian, you can be mostly forgiven/understood such a POV. (No disrespect intended; I've been in the state 25 years but, no, am not from California, a place where so many are just arriving or about to leave). Though perhaps less true in the USA than elsewhere, I'd still venture to say that for many, likely most throughout the world, geography is defining, if not essential, and therefore intensely personal.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:53 PM

Great pics, very cool
Old 04-23-2018, 02:19 PM
ZhugeLiang

Good job, Angry pal, thanks for sharing.

It's true - having at least one bike in your hands during a trip, and it can be any bike, triumphs over 20 bikes that are sitting at home doing nuthin'.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:29 PM

from Santa Barbara up to San Simeon. Simply no place in the world I would rather ride a bicycle.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:40 PM
what's a little rust?

Great post, Angry!

I'm liking all of the park shots. National parks always make me think of riding.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:44 PM

Last edited by cadence90; 04-23-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:13 PM

SF to Santa Barbara

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
from Santa Barbara up to San Simeon. Simply no place in the world I would rather ride a bicycle.
Every year via Monterey, Big Sur, Morro Bay, SLO-- in January 2005-2013--200K each day, twice on fixed gear with Peter B
Magic
Too bad Big Sur Coast is closed due to bridge washouts and mudslides

Maybe only Humboldt/Lost Coast can compare

Don't get me started on the rest of the State--Trinity Alps, Borrego, Tahoe etc etc etc etc
Old 04-23-2018, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
Great post, Angry!

I'm liking all of the park shots. National parks always make me think of riding.
thanks.

our national parks are fantastic.

Yosemite in particular, i can understand why the "dirtbags" of the 60s and 70s would opt to live out of a van and spend months in the park. there is just so much there.

i cant wait to get back to CA.

additionally, it has inspired me even more to explore the public lands here in the northeast. the spring and fall especially are pretty magical out this way too. i know there is a ton within driving distance of me that is waiting to be checked out.

i'm pretty high on life at the moment.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
thanks.

our national parks are fantastic.

Yosemite in particular, i can understand why the "dirtbags" of the 60s and 70s would opt to live out of a van and spend months in the park. there is just so much there.

i cant wait to get back to CA.

additionally, it has inspired me even more to explore the public lands here in the northeast. the spring and fall especially are pretty magical out this way too. i know there is a ton within driving distance of me that is waiting to be checked out.

i'm pretty high on life at the moment.
no doubt. i have an intense desire to explore the nor cal areas near me. its literally an hour away. there are so many old logging roads up here that lead to nothing and nowhere. Im especially keen to check out the trinity alps area. because its the only place in CA i had never heard of until recently. there has to be something awesome there.

thanks for sharing your experience
Old 04-23-2018, 07:43 PM

So glad you made it up to the southern Yosemite area. The Oakhurst area is my favorite. I did not realize that YBC offered lodging.
We did the Bass Lake ride I messaged you about yesterday.
The picture at Chilkoot campground leads me to ask, how far up Beasore Rd were you able to make it? The road is not plowed, so is often late to open.
That climb/descent is a staple of our riding in the spring and fall.
This coming Sunday we will be fire roading in the Nelder Grove area. (looks like you made it up there too) There was a devastating forest fire there up last year.
Cheers,
Henry

Quote:
Next up...

Yosemite area. Found a FANTASTIC off the beaten path ranch/resort/hotel for cheap money that was a perfect base camp for a long weekend of riding out in the hills of the sierras.

There are, what seems like an endless network of quiet back roads to explore. Bringing water, low gears and a sense of humor is recommended. Of course, my Serotta is a road bike, and the 25c tires i brought are all i had...so choosing good lines, walking some really rough stuff and having a good time was on the menu.