Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2018, 07:27 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsuzuki View Post
Specifically, etap is between 13-50% slower than shimano depending on what kind of shift it is (rear upshifts are 52% slower, but front downshifts are 13% for example). https://youtu.be/BqTsxsly3pA
In real numbers, front shifting is about a tenth of a second slower. Both are less than a second. Rear shifting for both are less than half a second. The reason the % difference is higher for rear shifting is because both are very fast to begin with. Basically, shifts are still a tenth slower except when going to smaller cogs in the rear they can be 3 tenths slower.

The video also points out that a tenth of that is latency in clicking the lever to the shifter actually moving. That latency between lever and shifter accounts for the tenth difference. The actuation of the shift is actually almost the same for both.

Interesting stuff because I experience that latency, but didn't realize it. I find that the time when I want the shifting to be faster most is when I'm cresting and want to grab 3-4 gears in a row. I never felt want for faster shifting when climbing and adjusting gears to keep cadence steady.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:04 AM

I'm involved in a similar internal debate. I'm currently on full 9100 and am tempted by eTap or Di2--but the question of "need" and difference on day to day riding has been holding me back.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:53 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiii View Post
I'm involved in a similar internal debate. I'm currently on full 9100 and am tempted by eTap or Di2--but the question of "need" and difference on day to day riding has been holding me back.
For a nontravel bike I don't think its a question of need. I've got 9000 on one bike, 9100 on another and etap on 2. I had Campy for decades. Getting etap hasn't been a life changing experience

Considering only shifting speed, I prefer 9100. I also like the 9100 brakes better than SRAM red. (that said these are all minor quibbles).

where etap has characteristics that I find appealing are (1) no cables to stretch and adjust, less housing to deal with; (2) aesthetically I like the clean look; (3) I like the idea that the shifting is sorta set and forget (although I'm still futzing with the front derailleur settings at times); (4) the idea of the blip shifters - don't have them currently but will probably add them as being able to push a button from the tops when climbing rather than having to shift hands over to the levers sounds like a nice option.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:18 AM

I had Campy eps v1 and disliked how it complicated things... etap simplifies. Very little adjustment, easy setup and maintenance.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:21 AM

Posts like these are the Paceline version of "what color is the dress?" meme.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
Posts like these are the Paceline version of "what color is the dress?" meme.

Celeste green.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
I've got Sram Etap on my brain.

My Moots has full Dura Ace 9000.

Talk me out of it.
I'd only talk you out of it to tell you to get Di2 instead.

I've used both.....honestly, the one single thing that is nicer about etap is the easier install.....but that is a one time deal. Who cares about spending a little bit of time setting the bike up the first time.

Outside of setup, di2:
- one internal battery that doesn't get lost, doesn't need to be disconnected to avoid losing charge from movement, holds a charge forever.
- shifts faster
- doesn't throw the chain off the big ring - Ive read plenty of these complaints about etap.
- more reliable IMHO......have read plenty of posts about etap RD's dying.
- MUCH bigger selection of parts, all available separate at various price points. Etap is one group and $$$ to replace a derailleur.
- no plastic battery tabs on the derailleurs to break off, like on etap

Old 04-21-2018, 05:34 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
I don't imagine that anyone here "needs" more than DT shifters and 7sp freewheel in the back.
fwiw...if bikes had never evolved beyond DT shifters and 7sp freewheels, I would not be a "cyclist" today.

I might still have a hybrid with Grip-Shifts or whatever-the-fuq they were called and I might still commute on it once or twice a week, but I would absolutely not be the obsessive recreational roadie that I've become in the past dozen years were it not for brifters and >9sp cassettes.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
I'd only talk you out of it to tell you to get Di2 instead.

I've used both.....honestly, the one single thing that is nicer about etap is the easier install.....but that is a one time deal. Who cares about spending a little bit of time setting the bike up the first time.

Outside of setup, di2:
- one internal battery that doesn't get lost, doesn't need to be disconnected to avoid losing charge from movement, holds a charge forever.
- shifts faster
- doesn't throw the chain off the big ring - Ive read plenty of these complaints about etap.
- more reliable IMHO......have read plenty of posts about etap RD's dying.
- MUCH bigger selection of parts, all available separate at various price points. Etap is one group and $$$ to replace a derailleur.
- no plastic battery tabs on the derailleurs to break off, like on etap

Sagan won Paris-Roubaix using a mechanical groupset last week....citing better reliability and lower likelyhood of phantom shifts while negotiating the pave.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickl View Post
Sagan won Paris-Roubaix using a mechanical groupset last week....citing better reliability and lower likelyhood of phantom shifts while negotiating the pave.
I'll keep that in mind when I decide to race over a couple hundred km's of cobblestones....

For what its worth (not much...), over 30 years of biking, the only parts I've ever had fail on me have been mechanical. Been on di2 for about 6 years now, not a single issue.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
I'll keep that in mind when I decide to race over a couple hundred km's of cobblestones....

For what its worth (not much...), over 30 years of biking, the only parts I've ever had fail on me have been mechanical. Been on di2 for about 6 years now, not a single issue.
I understand the preference for electronic shifting but the simplicity and lower cost of mechanical will always be the draw for most. No battery failure in 6 yrs is exceptional.

BTW, Sagan is not the only pro to use mech when reliability and durability are paramount. I can’t count the number of times in recent years I’ve seen bike swaps during major races due e-shifting failures.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:03 AM

I admit I haven't followed pro cycling for a while, since switching to triathlon, so not familiar with the failure rate.
But with regards to cost, I'd say Ultegra di2 is quite affordable these days, especially if you don't mind buying the previous year's versions (but still 11 speed), etc.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:03 AM

Maybe I’m doing it wrong, but I don’t really care what the pros ride. I don’t get paid to ride my bike, I don’t weigh my food, I like disc brakes, I fix my own bike, and when I ride famous bits of road I’ve seen during races, I do it slowly. That being said, my eTap shifted just fine in the Arenberg. Ride what you want, when you want, where you want.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkalugi View Post
maybe i’m doing it wrong, but i don’t really care what the pros ride. I don’t get paid to ride my bike, i don’t weigh my food, i like disc brakes, i fix my own bike, and when i ride famous bits of road i’ve seen during races, i do it slowly. That being said, my etap shifted just fine in the arenberg. Ride what you want, when you want, where you want.

+100000000
Old 04-22-2018, 09:17 AM

Agree. Ride what you want.

I ride mech for simplicity, because I don’t want to carry spare batteries and unlike the pros I don’t have a spare bike following me on a support vehicle.