Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2018, 12:23 PM

Reach the Beach-Oregon 2018

Hey all,

I am considering doing this year’s ride in May. There are 4 routes which have different mileage. It’s a great cause for donations and ends in pacific city, OR at Pelican Brewing Company who I work for.

Is there anyone who’d have interest in doing the 55 or 80 mile ride with me? I’m leaning towards the 55 minds ride but am open.

Please let me know and reach out!

https://www.granfondo.com/events/rea...9/3197/cycling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2018, 07:36 PM

That's a cool looking ride.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:47 PM

Yeah it is! I know I’ll be doing it with a few other brewery reps but would love to have a group...plus it’s an awesome cause!

Old 02-15-2018, 11:00 PM

I might actually be interested. I’ll have to check the date against my work schedule next week when I’m back in the office... and I’ll let you know.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:34 AM
v a n i l l a

Is it really that flat? looks like a 20+ drag race for those with motors...
Old 02-16-2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post

With your daughter at the UofO come up and visit...come for the ride and I’ll cover beers at our pub! One of the best locations in the country for a brewery.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:51 AM

This ride has always had a special place in my heart since it was my first big ride after I got into cycling as an adult. I've done it pretty much every year for the last 9, but I'm not sure if I'll be going this year.

It gets a great mix of folks, specifically because it has so many length options. I personally think it's great seeing people who clearly don't do much riding out there giving it their all and having fun. It's a relaxed fun ride without many competitive need for speed types. There are a few mamils who run pacelines and blast by people way too fast, but they usually start early and are ahead of most riders. I really don't get the appeal of riding like that on a packed route with a bunch of inexperienced riders. It's got kind of a "Portland weird" vibe that's fun. I've seen people do the full century on tall bikes and one on a unicycle.

I meet cool folks along the way every year. It's a pretty route with only a couple of sections along busy roads. The only challenging climb is right at the start between Beaverton and Newburg. The stops have friendly volunteers and decent snacks. And there's not much better than finishing a century on the beach with decent food and good beer.

I used to ride it with a friend and both of our families would stay at the beach for a long weekend afterwards. Now my friend has stopped riding and the last couple of times I went my family wasn't able to make it so I wound up having to ride the bus back right after the ride, which really sucks.

I haven't had the time to give it much thought this year. If I decide to go it will probably be a last minute thing. I'll check in on this thread again and see if there's going to be a Paceline contingent.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:22 AM

I have a group here on Mercer Island the I may be able to rally to come down to PDX. We are already doing the Gran Fondo Whistler and Obliteride.

--Sheldon Brown
Old 02-16-2018, 11:22 AM
formerly Landshark_98

I may come down for this - would be fun!
Old 02-16-2018, 11:28 AM

"Finish line at the award-winning Pelican Pub" The last time I was there the Pelican Pub had a whiskey infused beer, awesome!
Old 02-16-2018, 12:18 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW View Post
With your daughter at the UofO come up and visit...come for the ride and I’ll cover beers at our pub! One of the best locations in the country for a brewery. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
seriously, that looks like a fun ride and I'll have to plan for it at some point. rides don't need to be races or death marches. why not just go ride have fun and feel great the whole way?

down here every longer ride involves lots of climbing...a basic up/down loop I do is 30/2500 so to see 80/2200 made me go whoa....flat!
Old 02-16-2018, 01:07 PM
This space left blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
I did it about 10 years ago with 2 racer buddies. We were just cruising and averaged over 20mph for the 100 mile course. There was a very broad range of rider abilities and you really had to be careful passing folks. A 3 or 4 other rides jumped on the back of us as we went by. About 3 miles later you hear that nasty sound of a crash behind us. Dumb.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
I may come down for this - would be fun!
If you do, we should try and meet up and/or ride together. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think we are both doing Conservation Biology work?
Old 02-16-2018, 05:19 PM
cnighbor2

I did that ride in the late 80's

I got to the start of the ride A lot of rain had just passed thru
all day it was the rain has returned but on the rain gear than the rain has left take off the rain gear I must have done that 5 to 7 times
Very nice ride I got in and got on the next bus back but my bike was on a later bus Got back to Portland and waited till 10 pm for bike to arrive
Still a nice ride
One year no rain but had been raining a lot for weeks up to ride I could have kayak nearly all the route has all the drainage ditches along side the road were full
Old 02-16-2018, 05:35 PM

If you go, please dont poop in anyone's yard.