Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2018, 04:04 PM

early post season thoughts:
-dame better step up (he's got 35 points on 40 shots this series...) or else his team is gonna get swept despite having hc advantage. if he's the hot shot he says he is, he needs to prove it in the post season too.
-playoff rondo, plus jrue holiday, makes a pretty solid backcourt. i actually like the pelican's flow of the game better without cousins (mirotic as a stretch, who can also space the floor with his 3's)
-the bucks/celtics are gonna be fun to watch. that OT game (and what led it to OT) was crazy.
-the warriors, even without curry, are simply too talented for a kawhi-less spurs roster to defeat. pop has surprised me in the past but it'll take a lot for them to overcome. the kawhi situation is strange to say the least.
-the wolves dropped game 1, which was totally winnable. towns scoring single digits is not acceptable and won't cut it. he needs to exploit mismatches, and be more forceful in the paint to get his rhythm going. just because he can shoot 3's doesn't mean he should stay out along the perimeter.

haven't been watching much of the other matchups as much, so no comments on those for now. really curious as to who will make it out of the east this year, though.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velotrack View Post
early post season thoughts:
-dame better step up (he's got 35 points on 40 shots this series...) or else his team is gonna get swept despite having hc advantage. if he's the hot shot he says he is, he needs to prove it in the post season too.
-playoff rondo, plus jrue holiday, makes a pretty solid backcourt. i actually like the pelican's flow of the game better without cousins (mirotic as a stretch, who can also space the floor with his 3's)
-the bucks/celtics are gonna be fun to watch. that OT game (and what led it to OT) was crazy.
-the warriors, even without curry, are simply too talented for a kawhi-less spurs roster to defeat. pop has surprised me in the past but it'll take a lot for them to overcome. the kawhi situation is strange to say the least.
-the wolves dropped game 1, which was totally winnable. towns scoring single digits is not acceptable and won't cut it. he needs to exploit mismatches, and be more forceful in the paint to get his rhythm going. just because he can shoot 3's doesn't mean he should stay out along the perimeter.

haven't been watching much of the other matchups as much, so no comments on those for now. really curious as to who will make it out of the east this year, though.
Jazz okc is the series to watch.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:27 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-21-2018 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
Kenny Smith's post-game (HOU-MIN) tribute to Erin (and Gregg/family) Popovich: really eloquent and moving. Wonderful.

All the tributes I heard have been beautiful, but I found Smith's really special.
any link by chance?
Old 04-19-2018, 05:01 AM

Keep it up, Dagger Don!

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-playoff-games
Old 04-19-2018, 01:42 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-21-2018 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post

EDIT: here, found it.
Smith starts at 10:38, and finishes at 11:32. Very sincere and eloquent, imo.
Thanks for linking that!
Old 04-22-2018, 09:00 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-21-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:31 PM

****. Sixers look damn good. Is there anyone that can stop them in the East? Do the ****ing 76ers make it to the finals?
Old 04-25-2018, 04:01 PM

I would still take the field (Raps/Cavs/Pacers) winner over the 6ers, but that's just an odds game.

The Jazz look really good - Gobert is the perfect antidote to Westbrook/Adams PNR and Utah's ball-movement offense is carving up OKC's overly-aggressive defensive schemes. Not sure why OKC thinks the best defense against a Rubio/Gobert PNR is to go over the screen and have Adams play way up, but they do. Couple that with Melo getting roasted and some strange decisions to leave Joe Ingles (the only guy you can't leave - he's almost a 50% 3 pt shooter!) in help, and I don't see how OKC even gets this to 6.

Pels-Ws could be interesting, in that the W's sans Steph are only a +3 net rating team, and they are particularly weak guarding superlative bigs like Davis, but I think we are headed for an inevitable Rox/W's WCF. Unless Utah is amazing, which would be really interesting since the Jazz handed GSW a couple of their worst beatdowns of the year.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:17 PM

Holy ****. What the hell did I just watch.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Holy ****. What the hell did I just watch.
A massive choke job by the Jazz.

For what it's worth, I still don't think Russ is an amazing player. Having 45 points means nothing to me if it took you 39 shots to get there.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velotrack View Post
A massive choke job by the Jazz.

For what it's worth, I still don't think Russ is an amazing player. Having 45 points means nothing to me if it took you 39 shots to get there.
What's your standard for amazing then? He took that game over for the last 20 minutes. There's like 4 or 5 guys that can just own a game by force of will the way Westbrook can.

Agree that the Jazz contributed to their own demise.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
What's your standard for amazing then? He took that game over for the last 20 minutes. There's like 4 or 5 guys that can just own a game by force of will the way Westbrook can.
Probably because he's the one that landed them in the situation to begin with. He's still shooting 39% on the series even with tonight being a good night... inefficient high volume shooters aren't the key to winning championships in today's league. The stat-padding triple doubles and lack of winning basketball/postseason success (sans Durant) just makes him not on the same level as other superstars.

Just IMO, of course.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:18 AM

I get it if Westbrook isn't one's cup of tea - he is currently our most polarizing superstar

A lot of fans point to the below-average outside shooting, aimless off-ball defense, "x player" got way better after he left Westbrook, discount the triple doubles because they're "stat padding". The other side points out the Thunder win 82% of their games when RW triple doubles, have a huge net rating advantage when he's on the court, there are maybe 3-4 guys in the league that have his peak ceiling, and he's tremendously entertaining - maybe the best athlete in the league, maybe the most stubbornly competitive player in the league.

Last night he outscored a playoff team - the team with the 2nd best defense by rating during the season 33-28 over the last 20 minutes. That's amazing by any definition. The list of players who can do that is extremely short; healthy Curry, Durant, AD, LeBron and that's it.