Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2018, 02:03 PM

Ride Brooklyn

A Big shout out to Murry at Ride Brooklyn (in the park slope location), he really knows what he is doing and will take the time to really figure out what is going on with your bike.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:59 PM
Cat 6

where are you Tijon?

I use The Rover in Gowanas. They will come by and pick your bike up and drop it back off. Roger over there is very meticulous and knows his stuff. He is well versed in Campagnolo EPS, Shimano Di2, and even SRAM
Old 04-26-2018, 10:37 PM

Roger at Rover Cycle is the most meticulously detailed mechanic in the city right now. Daniel at newly-opened Sanba Bike Shop, by Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn, apprenticed under him and is also doing impressive things.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
If you think those mansion-like apts depicted in Friends are at all representative of 3 marginally employed people living in the west village in the late 90s, you are more than a little out of touch. I know full well the realities of NYC bike shop life. My numbers above aren't just made up. A good service department makes or breaks a bike shop (as evidenced by the 3 bike shops in NYC that have closed in the last couple years) but done right, operating a bike shop in NYC can be surprisingly lucrative. I remember selling 18 bikes in one day for example.
Wow thats very interesting. I kinda agree with your statement. Seems to me fitting, high end bike service is the way to survive and prosper.
Having said that, dont you think components are easier to tune by the average rider and make trips to bike shops less frequent? I am thinking Di2 or eTap where tuning is fairly easy also by the average rider...
Compared to say 10yrs ago i see fitting being a very lucrative margin business.
I would say structured training probably the next big thing. Call me crazy but i think it would be a nice service for shop to offer individual training (fitness, performance, weight loss) plans to their customer.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:07 PM

Not in NYC, but my favorite LBS period is the Bicycle Depot in New Paltz, NY. Very competent mechanics, super friendly and reasonable staff. Drop bike off, rent bike and ride the mohonk/ minnewaska carriage roads. Come back another weekend to pick up, and do a sweet road ride.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:23 PM

Tom at Maglia Rosa is a brilliant mechanic. He knows the mechanical and electronic extremely well. His engineering background helps when you need creativity to get a project done right.

I have also seen great work from Rover and I know Daniel used to work with him.