Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob ross View Post
you know how i know you've never worked on a car with an automatic transmission?
fify

As for performance and experience, if there were a performance gain no pro would risk using mechanical as no pro risks riding alloy wheels. If there were a qualitative or experiential difference, you wouldn't be shifting from the hoods or bars with your fingers, you'd be actuating a shift through a voice command or by wiggling a toe. The chain is the chain; the cassette is the cassette.

Last edited by m4rk540; 04-23-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:12 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Having indexed shifters integrated into where your hands already are makes using one's gears less of an "event" and more of an intuitive part of riding. And having >9 speeds makes every shift less of a *clunky* "event" and more of a smooth, incremental, gradual transition to one's desired gear ratio.

In other words, DT friction shifters and 7sp cassettes aren't as much fun for me as more modern groupsets, because the older stuff necessitates an interruption of one's focus.
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm pretty much the opposite of you in that regard....since I've been spending more time on vintage bikes with DT shifters I've found that I tend to prefer them to Ergos.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:19 AM
aka RAEKWON

all this talk about etap and how backwards it is and how hard it is to adapt to...

I just rode my shimano bike on sunday (I have maybe been on it 3 days since I built it, used to be campy). Throughout the week I rode my campy bike... Then this week back to the campy bike and man, that was a mind ****, I kept trying to push the brake lever in to shift...

Etap I adapted easily going from campy but now going to shimano back to campy it is a lot "harder"... I mean 20 minutes into the ride I was back at not making mistakes but it came through my mind, its much harder going from campy>shimano>campy than campy>sram>campy
Old 04-25-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
all this talk about etap and how backwards it is and how hard it is to adapt to...

I just rode my shimano bike on sunday (I have maybe been on it 3 days since I built it, used to be campy). Throughout the week I rode my campy bike... Then this week back to the campy bike and man, that was a mind ****, I kept trying to push the brake lever in to shift...

Etap I adapted easily going from campy but now going to shimano back to campy it is a lot "harder"... I mean 20 minutes into the ride I was back at not making mistakes but it came through my mind, its much harder going from campy>shimano>campy than campy>sram>campy
First world bike problem. Good for you to have them all.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:32 AM
aka RAEKWON

Hahah indeed. Now i want to try mech sram, di2 and eps.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:06 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:

I feel yer pain [/billclintonvoice]

I have four bikes, one each with eTap, Campy Record, Shimano Ultegra, and Suntour DT friction shifters. Every time I get on a bike I have to recalibrate my personal muscle memory.

I like to tell myself that I'm helping forge new neural pathways to stave off age-related dementia ...but meanwhile I'm biffing a shift like a newb at least once on every ride!
Old 04-25-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Hahah indeed. Now i want to try mech sram, di2 and eps.
Skip the Sram mechanical...
Old 04-25-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikecycke View Post
Skip the Sram mechanical...
Or not. The 11 speed stuff is great.