Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2018, 08:29 AM

Bike Insurance: need one for a bike trip only

Can anybody recommend a good insurance for a bike packing trip>
I would like to cover potential damage while transporting by air and any potential crash/damage/theft while riding in Europe.

Thanks a lot!

PS: heard good things from Velosurance but they only do 1yr contracts.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:37 AM
Administrator

before you buy anything, look at your credit card agreements and see what they cover. many major credit cards have pretty halfway decent insurance policies built in if that's how you pay for your travel...
Old 04-25-2018, 08:46 AM

Insurance

I am not sure you can buy "travel" bike insurance. I checked into a policy a while back and its really not cheap, in fact I would argue too expensive. I have never followed up, but I have been told that you can get a rider on your home insurance or that automobile insurance might cover the bike. Honestly not sure about either of those, but I can say that the bike insurance that I have checked in the US is not very "affordable". It might be useful to find someone that has it and has made a claim, the policy I investigated was for damage (crash/accident) and theft. Not sure how it would work on transportation damage.

One last thought, maybe use bike flights to ship, or get excess value insurance from the airline?

Ray
Old 04-25-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I am not sure you can buy "travel" bike insurance. I checked into a policy a while back and its really not cheap, in fact I would argue too expensive. I have never followed up, but I have been told that you can get a rider on your home insurance or that automobile insurance might cover the bike. Honestly not sure about either of those, but I can say that the bike insurance that I have checked in the US is not very "affordable". It might be useful to find someone that has it and has made a claim, the policy I investigated was for damage (crash/accident) and theft. Not sure how it would work on transportation damage.

One last thought, maybe use bike flights to ship, or get excess value insurance from the airline?

Ray
Many thanks to both of you...yeah it aint cheap...might do Velosurance then...it seems really good at covering most of the claims. thanks again