Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2018, 07:15 PM

This exact thing happened to Lionel B. He tried everything for like a year. It ended up being a somewhat loose derailleur clamp bolt! Seems that the frame would flex just enough under moderate to heavy power to click on each stroke. Tightened the clamp bolt and his problem was solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2018, 08:18 PM

Yup, could be a lot of things for sure. I had a buddy who could not figure out an annoying click for the longest time. Turned out to be the tiny screw holding the seatstay to the rear dropout. Removed it, got a new screw, permanently loctited it in and all was good. But certainly not an obvious place anyone would look.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

[QUOTE=Calnago;2355106]

Quote:
There is no designated SR cups anymore, just RE.
Quote:
As long as there's no huge openings that allow for chunky bits of road debris to get in there, I prefer to remove the seals and just use a couple drops of light synthetic oil in the ceramic bearings. If you have cups that don't have any seals, I suspect those are quite old stock.
2018 still lists 'SuperRecord' and 'Record' cups..Black, no seals, greenish, seals.

Pretty sure. And the Cult bearings, altho 'hardened' steel races, still steel. Gunk in there, very hard ceramic balls, and it will kill the races, even tho hardened steel. I think grease is still a good idea for no other reason to help with 'sealing' the inside from the outside. NO reason to remove seals with Cult bearings, IMHO.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:09 AM

I just chased down a b.b. click on my MTB, while not Campy, it was the spd plate torque screws. 1/8-1/4 TURN LOOSE. Solved it. Another on my sons bike -rear T/A skewer loose - the DT Swiss type.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:57 AM

As a data point..I don't think that the UT design is bad, as it is strong, light and stiff; but its strong suit is not being weatherproof. After any significant use, the bearings always are contaminated by dirt and moisture when opened up for servicing/inspection.

Last edited by El Chaba; 04-27-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
As a data point..I don't think that the UT design is bad, as it is strong, light and stiff; but its strong suit is not being weatherproof. After any significant use, the bearings always are contaminated by dirt and moisture when opened up for servicing/inspection.
This is often the case for all the external bearing BB types.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
This is often the case for all the external bearing BB types.
For sure, the increased seal drag due to larger diameter parts means that any sealing mechanism will have to be carefully designed and tested to work as well as older bottom brackets.

And as bearings wear, shaft deflection at the seal will further challenge the ability of the seals to keep on chugging.

Shimano's seem to work and last better than most I've found, and are cheap and easy to replace.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:58 PM
#RYFB

Success!

Always good to have a positive resolution to annoying sounds.

In this case a full teardown, cleaning, lubrication, and proper torqueing seems to have done the trick. Just a 35 mile loop today but some full gas climbing and nary a sound.

Thanks to everyone and I'll once again raise a glass to Paceline, I'm so appreciative. May all your rides once again be undisturbed by annoying sounds from your bikes.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Always good to have a positive resolution to annoying sounds.

In this case a full teardown, cleaning, lubrication, and proper torqueing seems to have done the trick. Just a 35 mile loop today but some full gas climbing and nary a sound.

Thanks to everyone and I'll once again raise a glass to Paceline, I'm so appreciative. May all your rides once again be undisturbed by annoying sounds from your bikes.
Huzzah!! Great when a noise fix is found...
Old 04-29-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
For sure, the increased seal drag due to larger diameter parts means that any sealing mechanism will have to be carefully designed and tested to work as well as older bottom brackets.

And as bearings wear, shaft deflection at the seal will further challenge the ability of the seals to keep on chugging.

Shimano's seem to work and last better than most I've found, and are cheap and easy to replace.
For the money, at least. UT B.B. could be made bulletproof- but for the money, they are what they are. I’d say the testing has already been done, think of the amount of high load bearings in use right now in the world, but bicycle riders are pushing engineering and manufacturing tolerances? Hardly.