Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Are you at NU?
Nope, left in 2004. Two jobs in finance after that, but now retired.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:35 AM
Ride to eat.

my 2 cents

If the kneecap only hurt for one of the rides, and is fine now, I'd try a some minor adjustments.

1. Adjust position (I'd always heard pain behind the knee=saddle to high pain in front of knee=saddle to low)--
- a. So, if you back is good I'd move the saddle higher.
- b. It looks to be forward as well so sliding back may work as opposes to higher up.
2. I believe when I had my nine speed sram made 12-28 cassette.
3. Swap the chainrings out for 39/53
4. New groupset

I've always set my bikes up by the KOPS idea for a starting point.
(legs 85% extended and kneecap lines up vertically with the ball of foot and spindle)

Good Looking bike, I'd keep it

Ride safe and good Luck,
Bam Bam

Last edited by bambam; 04-30-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:21 AM

That offer of the Gossamer crankset is a great place to start! That will get you some much lower gearing, which is what we all seem to need these days. In the last 20 years that you've been out of the loop, that's been one of the bigger trends in bikes - lower gear ranges!

One minor thing I'd suggest you try (and it's free): see if you can slide your brake/shift levers up on the handlebars a bit. They are really in an uncomfortable spot on the bars IMO. Sliding them up a bit will help with comfort, not having to reach so far forward.

Frankly, those bars look really big, too. That's another trend - short and shallow handlebars. The Soma Highway One bar would fit right in on your bike with the quill stem you have.

Cheers.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:33 AM
bourbon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Used 9 speed Ultegra or 105 groups are quite reasonable ($250 +/-) and they work very well.

I was just about to post this same thing. I'm running 9sp Ultegra and 9sp DuraAce on two different steel bikes. They both work like a charm. Zero issues.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:25 PM

Those are later 6401 hubs and will easily take 8-9-10 speed cassettes. Also one of the most robust hub sets made by Shimano, vastly over engineered. If you like the wheelset, you can move up to 9 or 10 speed with the corresponding right shifter.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWL2222 View Post
I really appreciate the chance to get the insights of pros and other highly experience peeps on my path back into the saddle.

After three days off, the kneecap pain went away, and I have had four rides since then of an hour of easy spinning. I will check out getting a new quill. I am pursuing a related fit thread in that PL forum.

For now, I will go with trying the 50/34 crankset that @Toddtwenty2 kindly offered up. I will set a target of 1,000 miles by end of August (gonna need a bike computer), then keep my eyes peeled for a further setup here on PL (once I get the green light to respond to classifieds posts.) and a new rear hub, as I am told that the current ultegra hub for the FC 6400 won't take a 10 speed cassette.
Nice. Welcome back. Enjoy the riding!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 04-30-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
Nope, left in 2004. Two jobs in finance after that, but now retired.
I'm Class of 1965 BS from "Business School" because Kellogg hadn't been invented. Did you have any Finance classes from Al Rappaport?
Old 04-30-2020, 02:08 PM
Rockstruck

Tv_vt points out that the handlebars maybe look a bit big. They are--they were sized for me by the fitter at the time. He is still active and I could go back later. The original Cinellis that I replaced were smaller of course, less drop. Oh well.

So glad to hear the encouragement from others with a similar setup, and particularly about the Shimano 660 tricolor hubs.

Thanks for the pointers @Bambam and others. @Fivethumbs points out that I can change out the 42 gear in front. That's what I was thinking, but I understood from stopping by the shop that it would require a whole net crankset to go down a size.

I am sure I will try moving things around, grips and seat, etc. once I get some miles under me so that I have some context for making very gradual changes. Speaking of which, I think it's time...
Old 04-30-2020, 05:07 PM

Yeah, low gears here are your friend. I set out yesterday to do an easy ride and at 25 mi I had 2700 ft. Oh boy...
I'm local to you and have tools if you want to diy it, be glad to help.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:25 PM
Rockstruck

Thanks that's kind of you, especially since https://www.pelotonstation.com is closed for the moment. I will keep in mind when I get going on swapping out the crankset.

Last edited by RWL2222; 04-30-2020 at 05:26 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-30-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks that's kind of you, especially since https://www.pelotonstation.com is closed for the moment. I will keep in mind when I get going on swapping out the crankset.
I love Peloton. Good food, and a great concept. Terribly afraid of what's going to be left of our food culture here when this is over.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
T... @Fivethumbs points out that I can change out the 42 gear in front. That's what I was thinking, but I understood from stopping by the shop that it would require a whole net crankset to go down a size.
Actually, you don't need a whole new crank to do that. Sorry for tooting my own horn here, but you could do it for $10 plus shipping. Swap out both chainrings for the 50-38 FSA set I have for sale for $10. (here: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=250861 -- shown on 175 crank, but are available separately for $10/pair) They're used but would definitely give you some lower gears for cheap. Would need to lower front derailleur a bit and maybe take out 2-4 links on chain, and you're good.

Last edited by tv_vt; 04-30-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:12 PM

I Want to Hang Here

Big mistake, wrong post!

Last edited by m_sasso; 05-01-2020 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:21 PM
Rockstruck

Thanks rrcardr and others for pointing out the hubs. I looked and the rear is indeed FH-6402, so I can eventually upgrade to a 10-speed group without a new wheel.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks rrcardr and others for pointing out the hubs. I looked and the rear is indeed FH-6402, so I can eventually upgrade to a 10-speed group without a new wheel.
If you're willing to go with a long-cage rear derailleur and an 11-34 cassette, you can get an HG800 cassette that fits on to your existing freewheel/wheel. With some scouring, you might find some a 5800 mini-kit with GS rear derailleur for ~$150, cassette for ~$80. You'll want a new chain and new cables on top of that, then the labor to install it.

Or, if you're willing to stick with 9-speed (nothing wrong with it at all), there are 11-32 or even 11-34 cassettes in 9-speed that you could pair with a Wolf Tooth RoadLink adapter and a GS rear derailleur (or mountain rear derailleur or even an "8-speed" mountain rear derailleur -- Shimano 9-speed is delightfully cross-compatible).

Tags
components, lemond, reynolds, vintage bike