Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
Am I missing something? Does "gal" have a connotation that I'm not aware of? I apologize if it does, not my intention. 10+ years living in the upper mid west and "guys and gals" were considered one of a few different polite ways to address each other. Asking a genuine question.

Wasn't my intention to offend or patronize. I have great respect for what Coryn is doing with her career and feel lucky to have seen her race in her development years and see the incredible growth she's achieved in the sport.
Cool. I misread initially and reacted too strongly.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:41 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
That looks scary going downhill. And fun...
leg speed + road knowledge

On roads like that, I wonder which corner will have gravel in it.

fun video
Old 07-13-2018, 02:16 PM
#RYFB

In my experience that road is remarkably free of impediments. There are some fantastic sweepers at the bottom, but on at least one occasion I've had a pedal strike from beginning to accelerate out of the turn a hair early — that would be my main fear doing it on a fixed gear.

BTW, nit-picky detail for anyone looking to replicate the ride, their climb is more often referred to as "Little GMR" whereas "GMR" refers to the road that they descended (at least, in my circle of friends). When the ToC has held the Queen Stage using those roads, they do it in reverse, descending Little GMR then climbing GMR to the eventual stage finish at the Mt. Baldy ski lifts.

I'd like to know how those bikes were geared.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:30 PM

This is awesome. And GMR, though I've only done it once, is a blast.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post

I'd like to know how those bikes were geared.
Curious about that too. Their gearing was definitely not the same - judging by their cadence when riding side by side...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:

BTW, nit-picky detail for anyone looking to replicate the ride, their climb is more often referred to as "Little GMR" whereas "GMR" refers to the road that they descended (at least, in my circle of friends).
Same here; I've always heard "GMR" as the road that leaves Glendora proper, from the top of Valley Center Rd.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:08 PM
#RYFB

Lest I be misunderstood, both GMR climbs are outstanding. The only reason I've done GMR more frequently than Little GMR is because you access the latter from Highway 39 and the road that connects the two -- East Fork -- is not a particularly pleasant one IMO.

This would be the best way to enjoy both climbs, though if you're really short on time you could lop off the Glendora Ridge portion (i.e., mile 9.7 to mile 43.7): https://www.strava.com/routes/14319209
Old 07-13-2018, 04:13 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Curious about that too. Their gearing was definitely not the same - judging by their cadence when riding side by side...
Down in the comments "State Bicycle Co" said "I believe 48 x 16"
I don't know to which of the two riders that refers, but no matter what, pretty impressive.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:17 PM

Same question here.

We used to train in the mountains when I was in the inferior categories with fixed gear. Times have changed a lot and not many people uses fix gears anymore even to teach kids to ride, which IMO is a must.

IM super curious about the gear because is not the same going up with 42x 19 than going up with 50x17...

The reason they use fix gear is to get the pedaling technique polished, you have to come back to basics time to time.

Need to build me a fix gear, darn :/ Miss that a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2018, 04:19 PM

48x17?? are those mountains steep and long?? anybody knows???
Old 07-13-2018, 05:03 PM

When she was at Marian I watched her a few times. She made it look easy. Sometimes hung out leisurely in the back for awhile. When she got bored, she easily rode up to and off the front. Everyone knew she was something special.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:08 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post

Look at the route I provided -- the climb you see them doing (Little GMR) is 4.8 miles and gains 1,424 feet, so averages 5.6%. The descent is more gradual, averaging 4.4%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by cgolvin; 07-13-2018 at 05:13 PM. Reason: added clarification
Old 07-13-2018, 05:11 PM

Yeah. That specific climb (Glendora Mountain Road, AKA GMR) is about 8 miles at 5% average, with sustained pitches up to 9%. I've only done it once, but let me assure you, it's a serious climb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Old 07-13-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Lest I be misunderstood, both GMR climbs are outstanding. The only reason I've done GMR more frequently than Little GMR is because you access the latter from Highway 39 and the road that connects the two -- East Fork -- is not a particularly pleasant one IMO.

This would be the best way to enjoy both climbs, though if you're really short on time you could lop off the Glendora Ridge portion (i.e., mile 9.7 to mile 43.7): https://www.strava.com/routes/14319209
The hot/bad@ss ticket for my collegiate club's "long ride" was to climb from Claremont up to Baldy, across GMR and down to Glendora, back up 39 and little GMR, descend GMR down to Glendora again, and back home to Claremont. I did it once, maybe twice in four years. I wasn't that good.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:02 PM

SO they are going that thing using 48x17?? I have to be honest here and based in my own experience (add the video)... You can do those climbs super slow with that gearing, is hard but doable, actually they arent spiining the gear at all, dunno what to think... doable yes, but if you know you have someting that is like 8 miles long personally I would have picked something smaller like a 42x17 maybe.

It is interesting tho... next time I go to the skyline, I will go with the gearing the girls are using, just to remember how weak im at riding a bike lately Doubt will be able to do 1 mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zross312 View Post
Yeah. That specific climb (Glendora Mountain Road, AKA GMR) is about 8 miles at 5% average, with sustained pitches up to 9%. I've only done it once, but let me assure you, it's a serious climb.