Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2018, 08:45 PM

Not to be a jerk, but...

Why go to a cycling related site during the tour if you want to delay your acquisition of the result? A spoiler or 2 will teach someone a lesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Now that we got your attention...

PLEASE remember to put “SPOILER” in the title of sntvthread that contains TdF results or news that might interfere with the fun for folks who record stages and watch them later

Thanks for following this simple courtesy

BK for “the Mod Squad”
Old 07-07-2018, 09:11 PM
ZhugeLiang

Attached Images
File Type: jpg stage1.1.jpg (73.9 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg stage1.3.jpg (65.6 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg stage1.jpg (93.3 KB, 301 views)
Old 07-07-2018, 09:14 PM
ZhugeLiang

Old 07-07-2018, 10:35 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

PG -

The point is not not post content in titles.

Things like “Now that Froome has crashed, can he still win?” Ruin things for folks who DVD stages for after work, etc.

Of course we expect folks to talk about the Tour. Just not in thread titles.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:46 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Ain't that the truth. Three time world champ. Five (or is it six?) time Green jersey. Many stages. A couple monuments and a number of minor classics.

As mentioned, his suckiness is something most of us envy.
Brit announcer mentioned he hasn't worn a standard team jersey since 2011
Glad he has grown up..I think marriage and fatherhood has helped a lot in this regard. PLUS I like his, 'racing toys' attitude ala Phinney..ain't gonna change the world.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:28 AM

Overrated, sucky Sagan pulls out a win.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:31 AM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Yeah, he stinks. I could beat him any day. (on a motorcycle, maybe)
Old 07-08-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Sucked right into a Yellow Jersey.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Holy crap. Watch the GoPro video. Froome just misses a metal pole:

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/07/toda...el-of-fortune/
From the head on view on the show last night, it really looked like Froome was intentionally pushed.

Look at 1:02 on this video. Maybe it was "just racing" or maybe not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDN03Rz_Kzk

Last edited by mg2ride; 07-08-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:15 AM
Vendor

Yet again, the TdF gets it wrong.

Gilbert and Alaphilippe went into the corner where the crash happened in 3rd and 5th position.

Valverde, who was racing (cause last time I looked this should be a race) finished in the sprinters group ahead of Gilbert and Alaphilippe, who crossed the line +8" another group came in +12" with Jungels (they all went through before the crash)

BUT, the TDF nuetralizes the gaps because of the crash, although those gaps weren't caused by the crash.

Valverde who's going for GC gets nothing.... no 8 second gap, no 12 second gap. All the gaps are neutralized. Once again, reward the GC guys who turn off the gas at 3km and roll over the line in the last places.

Last edited by rain dogs; 07-08-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
Yet again, the TdF gets it wrong.

Gilbert and Alaphilippe went into the corner where the crash happened in 3rd and 5th position.

Valverde, who was racing (cause last time I looked this should be a race) finished in the sprinters group ahead of Gilbert and Alaphilippe, who crossed the line +8" another group came in +12" with Jungels (they all went through before the crash)

BUT, the TDF nuetralizes the gaps because of the crash, although those gaps weren't caused by the crash.

Valverde who's going for GC gets nothing.... no 8 second gap, no 12 second gap. All the gaps are neutralized. Once again, reward the GC guys who turn off the gas at 3km and roll over the line in the last places.
Have you raced? It's bad enough having a couple dozen sprinters and leadout riders fighting for position at the end of a flat stage let alone having all the GG guys up there too.

There's no ideal way to have this with sprint finishes and having guys not lose their whole TdF chances by a crash that blocks them with a mile to go.

That said, yes, Valverde amazes with this kind of thing. He's always where he needs to be.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:33 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Have you raced? It's bad enough having a couple dozen sprinters and leadout riders fighting for position at the end of a flat stage let alone having all the GG guys up there too.

There's no ideal way to have this with sprint finishes and having guys not lose their whole TdF chances by a crash that blocks them with a mile to go.

That said, yes, Valverde amazes with this kind of thing. He's always where he needs to be.
No I haven't raced the Tour de France, have you? Why does that matter?

The point is, the rule exists to protect riders from losing time due to a crash, the gap to Gilbert was made in the last 200m, it had nothing to do with the crash. If a GC guy is ballsy enough to be up there fighting for seconds, he should be rewarded for those seconds if it had nothing to do with the crash. And Valverde can sprint, he's not totlly out of place being in amongst the fast guys. So reward that!
Old 07-08-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:

The point is, the rule exists to protect riders from losing time due to a crash, the gap to Gilbert was made in the last 200m, it had nothing to do with the crash. If a GC guy is ballsy enough to be up there fighting for seconds, he should be rewarded for those seconds if it had nothing to do with the crash. And Valverde can sprint, he's not totlly out of place being in amongst the fast guys. So reward that!
Not a Valverde fan per-se but , Yeah I definitely agree with rewarding those who take higher risk and battle for seconds where ever they can find em
Old 07-08-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:

I've not competed in the TdF! But I have raced many races and at a fairly high level. Valverde can mix with the fastest and yeah, I wish there were a way to reward that. I guess the bonus seconds are it but they only go three places deep I think.

I see the point of your post. I don't have a solution. I think Valverde is up front as much as anything to avoid the inevitable accidents, not because he thinks he's going to beat Sagan and the other fast finishers.

But yes, your point is taken.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:

So the riders that crashed and the riders behind them would not lose any time but a rider that made it past the crash near the front would lose time?

The times are all set when the crash occurs so unless you are going for the win there is no need to go full out. This is why some gaps occur in the last meters.

Jeff