Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2018, 07:01 AM
needs adult supervision

Maybe it’s because I live in a town overrun by tour buses, but the experiences here near Boston are very different than in Maine and Vermont. There’s no doubt that our area has history around every corner, but we also have tourists around every corner. Our ratio of history to natural splendor is much lower than Maine or Vermont. It might be worth asking yourself, would lots of people kinda get on my nerves? Or would lots of natural beauty make the beer taste better? It’s not so much either/or as where might you like to spend more time? I’m betraying my personal bias. As pretty and historic of a place as Boston is, it’s just a different experience than Maine and Vermont offer. What ratio of people to beauty suits you best? Wherever you go, it’ll be fun.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:03 PM

New England Enjoyment

My family has enjoyed numerous trips to New England and we will again in September when my wife and I visit our son in Williston, VT.

Over the years, we have rented cottages in Maine (Christmas Cove, West Point and Boothbay area) and we have stayed in B&Bs, inns and motels in ME, MA, NH and VT. On multiple trips, I have taken a road single as well as a tandem bike. I have ridden countless miles within ME in areas noted above with no traffic issues. I especially like riding the Phippsburg Peninsula from Bath to Fort Popham, Southport Island near Boothbay and of course Acadia. The bike paths along the lake in Burlington, VT and the roads on the Lake Champaign Islands are also a blast. Regrettably, my biking in VT has been limited to date.

My wife and I have enjoyed many oceanside picnics with a stocked cooler, a portable stove, a lobster pot and a couple of fresh crustaceans. One of our favorite places to do this is atop the giant monoliths in Acadia National Park, although the shore at Marshall Point (Port Clyde) is a close second. There is no better place to break open a lobster than at the shore. We also enjoy the numerous eateries in downtown Burlington, where there is something for everyone, including dedicated foodies.

Have fun and enjoy yourselves. And, as others have mentioned, don't rush and try to take in everything, as there is simply too much.

Cheers.

Last edited by Spinner; 07-06-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Have you read this article from Boston.com? Info on beer in Vermont.

https://www.boston.com/culture/trave...hrough-vermont
Old 07-08-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
For hiking, if the OP wants to do part of a "famous" route, there's always the Appalachian Trail.

It goes right through Hanover, NH, so you could go there and harass Matt...

I was just up there for my . . . ummmth reunion. I had a lovely time drinking good quality beer across the river in Norwich, with a view, but I don't think I can send the OP to my old roommate Eric's house.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Maybe it’s because I live in a town overrun by tour buses, but the experiences here near Boston are very different than in Maine and Vermont. There’s no doubt that our area has history around every corner, but we also have tourists around every corner. Our ratio of history to natural splendor is much lower than Maine or Vermont. It might be worth asking yourself, would lots of people kinda get on my nerves? Or would lots of natural beauty make the beer taste better? It’s not so much either/or as where might you like to spend more time? I’m betraying my personal bias. As pretty and historic of a place as Boston is, it’s just a different experience than Maine and Vermont offer. What ratio of people to beauty suits you best? Wherever you go, it’ll be fun.
Oh, we in the Nation's Cap and its environs will see your tour buses and raise you don't-wanna-talk-about-it. But as a tourist/occasional visitor (and for one year a quasi-local), I'll defend your town, if not on the natural splendor part, even if certain bits of urbanish-nature are plenty nice. Metro Boston is not all that hard to get around in, IMO, and there are things worth seeing -- along with some good food and drink (and I'll leave it to those more up on the scene to recommend particulars).

But yeah, there's the Maine coast, as well as the mountains, and the Whites and the Greens of NH and Vt. I used to know the riding better in the Upper Valley on both the NH and VT sides -- and I would have rated it pretty great -- and it might still be, I just haven't been riding there in the past few years and don't know what might have changed.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:06 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
I was just up there for my . . . ummmth reunion. I had a lovely time drinking good quality beer across the river in Norwich, with a view, but I don't think I can send the OP to my old roommate Eric's house.
One of my very last memories of Norwich is taking my roommate from a before-graduation party there back across the river to Mary-Hitchcock hospital with a huge (and I mean huge) gash in his leg. He had to accept his diploma on crutches. (Before anyone asks, yes, alcohol and poor judgement were involved.)
Old 07-10-2018, 11:11 AM

Tickets are booked! We will be there for 13 days. Now on to the lodging/car situation! If anyone has advice on car rentals/transportation let me know.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW View Post
Tickets are booked! We will be there for 13 days. Now on to the lodging/car situation! If anyone has advice on car rentals/transportation let me know.
I've gotten some great deals renting cars through Priceline. Since most airports charge big "facility fees" for each rental you may be able to save a lot renting from an off-airport location that might (or might not) be operated by one of the big firms that also have locations at the airport. Every one I have used offered free airport pick-up/drop-off for rental customers. One of my best scores was a Mercedes C 300 for $17 per day from Budget at the Nashville Airport.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
... (Before anyone asks, yes, alcohol and poor judgement were involved.)
Well . . . you could knock me over with a feather.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:08 AM

Old Stagecoat Inn - Waterbury

Anywhere in VT, find a bed and breakfast not "corporate" entity or just airbnb where you don't meet anyone
Old 07-11-2018, 11:54 AM

So...we've decided to have a few different home bases to work from. We fly in late on 9/17 so we will be staying at an AirBnB that's closed to the airport. 9/18 we are going to head to Vermont first for 4 nights and stay in Burlington most likely then visit what we decide to from there. After that, we plan on being in Maine for 4 nights to do the same then finish in Mass. The Red Sox host the Orioles on the 26th so I purchased tickets to the game because i'm a huge baseball fan. When it comes to details and what/where/when we haven't decided yet, just trying to nail down all of our lodging at the moment.

Personally, we are becoming more intrigued by Vermont/Maine so those will be more of a focus point with more time spent there.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW View Post
So...we've decided to have a few different home bases to work from. We fly in late on 9/17 so we will be staying at an AirBnB that's closed to the airport. 9/18 we are going to head to Vermont first for 4 nights and stay in Burlington most likely then visit what we decide to from there. After that, we plan on being in Maine for 4 nights to do the same then finish in Mass. The Red Sox host the Orioles on the 26th so I purchased tickets to the game because i'm a huge baseball fan. When it comes to details and what/where/when we haven't decided yet, just trying to nail down all of our lodging at the moment.

Personally, we are becoming more intrigued by Vermont/Maine so those will be more of a focus point with more time spent there.
Hotel Vermont in Burlington is worth a stay. It's owned by some corporate chain (Marriott, maybe?) but it's done well, very unique. They have complimentary cruiser bikes that you can take out as well, though, be sure to grab them early, the rack empties quickly.

Also, be sure to check out Leunig's for chow in Burlington.

When in Boston, be sure to do a Duck Tour, if you can.

Also, in Boston, the Franklin Cafe in the South End serves a full exceptional menu 'till 1:30am <- that's some exclusive local knowledge for you, right there.

Last edited by Marc40a; 07-11-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:07 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Fenway Park is definitely cool.

Sounds like this is coming together nicely

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc40a View Post
Hotel Vermont in Burlington is worth a stay. It's owned by some corporate chain (Marriott, maybe?) but it's done well, very unique. They have complimentary cruiser bikes that you can take out as well, though, be sure to grab them early, the rack empties quickly.

Also, be sure to check out Leunig's for chow in Burlington.

When in Boston, be sure to do a Duck Tour, if you can.

Also, in Boston, the Franklin Cafe in the South End serves a full exceptional menu 'till 1:30am <- that's some exclusive local knowledge for you, right there.
Is Nectar's still down there?
I have fond memories of hot summer nights and Nectar's fries with gravy at 0200.........
Somehow I could do that and still get up the next morning and go for a long bike ride.
Oh to be young and irresponsible again.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:09 PM

Burlington: Totally different, stay at Catamount Outdoor Family Center - a bed and breakfast at a xc ski, and mt bike center (with regular races). http://www.catamountbedandbreakfast.com . Beautiful place and only 15 min into Burlington. Ideally you do want a bike to ride the bike trail along Lake Champlain. (or just walk it).

Boy memories, when kids were young we hit VT 7 times in 3 months

Last edited by buddybikes; 07-11-2018 at 03:14 PM.