Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2018, 02:14 PM

OT: Trip this fall to Massachusetts/Vermont/Maine

Hey all, my wife and I will be taking a 10-14 day vacation and decided to visit the NE SEPTEMBER 17th-OCTOBER 1st. We are booking the flights but have never been to that part of the country but are very excited for the sight seeing, food culture, beer culture, and exploring. As you know, I am a big beer guy and have picked 8 breweries that I need/want to stop at.

We would love recommendations on comfortable, yet reasonable lodging along the way. Typically AirBnB is the route that I go but want to keep it affordable if possible.

I know many members here live in these three states and am glad that they are close together driving wise. We would love recommendations on places to sight see, hike, restaurants, FRESH SEAFOOD, wine bars, national parks, tours?, etc...we are OPEN to recommendations. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk further!

Thanks ahead of time!!!

Last edited by PNW; 07-04-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:24 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Anticipated dates would be helpful.

There is LOTS of history in the area. Lots of good eateries in and around Boston and outlying suburbs. NH and VT will lead you to towns close to ski areas or lakes for most good eats.

Leaf Peeping season can make parts of NH and VT crowded on weekends, depending on dates and Mother Nature.

If you are looking at breweries on the North Shore of Boston you are welcome to stay here for a night or two. Plenty of fresh seafood in this town!

I will be in school but my wife should be home and my son leaves mid- morning for work when he is in town.

You may want to look at the cyclocross schedule as well - season will be in full swing and races are everywhere.

There’s a start but there are lots of forumites in the area so expect lots of info shortly.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Anticipated dates would be helpful.

There is LOTS of history in the area. Lots of good eateries in and around Boston and outlying suburbs. NH and VT will lead you to towns close to ski areas or lakes for most good eats.

Leaf Peeping season can make parts of NH and VT crowded on weekends, depending on dates and Mother Nature.

If you are looking at breweries on the North Shore of Boston you are welcome to stay here for a night or two. Plenty of fresh seafood in this town!

I will be in school but my wife should be home and my son leaves mid- morning for work when he is in town.

You may want to look at the cyclocross schedule as well - season will be in full swing and races are everywhere.

There’s a start but there are lots of forumites in the area so expect lots of info shortly.

BK

Thanks for the reply! We will be there September 17th-October 1st. That would be great, I’ll reach out to you personally.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:37 PM
aka RAEKWON

can't really help much because my Parents and I kind of just went to whatever restaurants but I absolutely love Maine. Such a great state. Vermont is awesome as well and so is Mass. You are in for an amazing trip
Old 07-04-2018, 03:16 PM

Boston is worth several days of your time. There is a good bit of history there.

In Maine, you should probably go to Lubec to see West Quoddy lighthouse to stand on the Easternmost spot in the contiguous USA.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:16 PM

It's a great time to visit but I second the caution about crowds of leaf-peepers. They can make lodging scarce so I would suggest making reservations soon. Acadia National Park and the surrounding area is neat. Lake Winni-----(Who can spell that one) is also nice. We rented a small "condo" at The Yacht Club in Wolfsboro for a reasonable fee and it was an easy walk to town.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:26 PM
Administrator

oh man, i have a plan in the works that might be right up your alley.

stay tuned, i'll start a thread on it tonight, with some details.

off to BBQ!
Old 07-04-2018, 03:47 PM

Food, beer, fall, Northeast?! There's not ONE part of that trip that doesn't sound great! Can you share which breweries?
Old 07-04-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
Food, beer, fall, Northeast?! There's not ONE part of that trip that doesn't sound great! Can you share which breweries?

I can’t wait. I’ll be bringing a separate bag to fly back a bunch of stuff with me.

Treehouse
Trillium
Alchemist
Maine Beer Co.
Foam Brewers
Hill Farmstead
Bissel Brothers
Goodfire
Allagash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2018, 04:00 PM

Is 14 days too many?
Old 07-04-2018, 04:13 PM

Just returned from that area, did the hwy 1 route. Awesome seafood and sightseeing. If you’re planning a Acadia Park visit I strongly suggest taking bike equipment and renting a gravel bike to explore the carriage roads and climb Cadillac mountain, something I regret not doing!
Old 07-04-2018, 04:23 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Nothing appears to be more than a half day drive at most between stops if you plan it right.

With sightseeing and interesting things to see and do you could spend the whole two weeks and not be bored.

BK

Old 07-04-2018, 04:32 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

So 3 in Northern VT. Burlington and Stowe arefairly close and each are good places to spend a day. The third brewer is tough to get to. Either lots of back roads or down I89 and back up I91.

Several around Portland, ME. Portland has lots of cool shops and eateries.

The others are south of Boston. When down that way, plan to visit Zplimouth Plantation. A little pricey but an excellent historical experience about the first settlement and the lives of the indingenous people at the time.

BK

Old 07-04-2018, 04:45 PM

I'm also a beer nerd and I will make one suggestion. All of those brewers on your list are top choices. If you are going to go to Allagash in Maine I recommend you walk across the street to go to Foundation and Austin Street Brewery. I'd also add two others in Portland. Rising Tide and Oxbow. Bottom line there is so many good choices and so little time! Enjoy your trip!
Old 07-04-2018, 05:06 PM

If you are going to Hill Farmstead, you could do worse than staying at the Highland Lodge.

https://www.highlandlodge.com