Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2018, 09:14 PM

DT Swiss 240 Rear Hub Creak---Resolved

I am pretty sure it's the hub at creaks under load on the innermost three cassette cogs. The hub is Campagnolo, QR, has an end cap to convert to 135 mm, and is running an IRD 11-32.

It appears the left-hand end cap, the inner flange, may be rubbing the inside of the hub.

Any insight is appreciated and I am prepared to hear that many things can cause creaking noises.

Ring Nut Removal Tool: there is a discount price tool on eBay that a reviewer says doesn't fit. Should I buy the $ DT Swiss tool?

Last edited by Hindmost; 08-29-2018 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Tool question
Old 07-14-2018, 10:23 PM

Pop the axle caps off and grease them, they can get gritty and dry and start to make noise. While there make sure the bearings are not too crunchy. If so, replace
Old 07-15-2018, 07:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
I am pretty sure it's the hub at creaks under load on the innermost three cassette cogs. The hub is Campagnolo, QR, has an end cap to convert to 135 mm, and is running an IRD 11-32.

It appears the left-hand end cap, the inner flange, may be rubbing the inside of the hub.

Any insight is appreciated and I am prepared to hear that many things can cause creaking noises.
Like right above, take apart, grease, oil ratchet.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:36 AM

Same thing happened to me. Tightening the QR helped for a while. But when I took the hub apart it was nasty. A good cleaning and lube solves the problem. Love my 240s. (Have em on 3 bikes) The only hub I feel confident about servicing myself.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:34 AM

There's a lot of things in the hub area that could cause that problem, loose cassette, loose cassette rivets, loose QR, dirty hub. I wouldn't rule any of them out as you're trying to solve this problem.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 07-15-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
There's a lot of things in the hub area that could cause that problem, loose cassette, loose cassette rivets, loose QR, dirty hub. I wouldn't rule any of them out as you're trying to solve this problem.
Thanks for the encouragement. By the way, your cassette tool that I've been using for the last few years is a marvel! Such a simple thing makes cassette removal and install pretty darn convenient. Almost as prized as my Campagnolo peanut butter wrench.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:47 PM

Before the flanges broke off on both my 240s, I had to put a dab of grease periodically on the gear thingy inside the rear hub to keep it quiet. Mine stayed clean but there is something about that ratchet thing that needs regular greasing.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:56 AM

There is a discount price Ring Nut Removal Tool on eBay that a reviewer says doesn't fit. Should I buy the pricier DT Swiss tool?
Old 07-21-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
There is a discount price Ring Nut Removal Tool on eBay that a reviewer says doesn't fit. Should I buy the pricier DT Swiss tool?
You shouldn’t need to remove the ring nut unless it is somehow broken or if the drive side bearing feels bad. But, that being said, I’d personally opt for the factory tool.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:45 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I would but I’ve never seen a toothed ring nut cause creaking. Pretty easy to remove on a built wheel..tool into vice.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRietz View Post
You shouldn’t need to remove the ring nut unless it is somehow broken or if the drive side bearing feels bad. But, that being said, I’d personally opt for the factory tool.
The bearings feel okay but I wanted to be able to replace them. I like to be prepared with tools but this time the $'s make me pause
Old 07-22-2018, 07:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
The bearings feel okay but I wanted to be able to replace them. I like to be prepared with tools but this time the $'s make me pause
I understand..I have some very expensive tools I use only sparingly these days(like a Campag tool kit) but buying nice tools, when you DO need them, is keen.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:17 PM

DT Swiss 240 Rear Hub Creak---Resolved

It was the IRD cassette causing the noise. Tried a Campy cassette--no noise. The four inner cogs on the IRD cassette are on two carriers. The carriers fit kind of large on the DT cassette body. I was able to fit Coke can shims on two opposing sides of the cassette body, on top of the lobes and under the carriers. No noise!

Something very appealing about climbing up a quiet trail by yourself and not listening to your drivetrain creak every revolution.

Last edited by Hindmost; 08-29-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:36 PM

Glad you figured it out! And thanks for coming back with the root cause, may help somebody else out down the road.