Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2018, 11:27 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
I'm surprised that a group ride would have regular crashes--are people's bike handling skills really that bad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
1)-yup
2)-yup..
3)When I DO ride with a group, if a new guy shows up, beware. He 'may' know what he's doing..or may not.
@paredown
It comes down to looking at what someone is doing with their feet and body position. Within a mile of riding behind someone, you'd have a good idea if they are a hazard. It comes down to trust. Lots of people think that it's just pedaling and steering, but it's not. There's a lot of nonverbal communication. People who communicate well with their bodies are really easy to ride behind.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I hadn’t heard that. Most disability policies these days expect physicians to retrain in a different specialty if they can no longer perform their specialty. At least that’s what I was told.
Depends on the policy. There are options that don't require a specialty switch or restriction in duties (ex. you are an orthopedic surgeon but have a partial loss of movement of a hand so you can't operate, but you could still perform outpatient clinic duties so you have to do that for the rest of your career). Obviously the premiums go up if you drop those stipulations but those options are available.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:30 PM

i'm guessing he'll win (something). lawyers usually don't sue in situations like this unless they're pretty sure they can get a favorable judgement.

blood from a turnip, etc.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
@paredown
It comes down to looking at what someone is doing with their feet and body position... There's a lot of nonverbal communication. People who communicate well with their bodies are really easy to ride behind.
So true. Reminds me of Malcolm Gladwell's book, Blink, which theorizes we have an innate sense with reading people within the first 5 seconds of meeting them, through non-verbal cues. But the problem is as man evolved we failed to use this skill so it's devolved some.

While you can't avoid all situations, picking up on those cues and riding appropriately can go a long way to keeping you out of trouble and away from dangerous riders.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Looks like I just picked up an extra curricular research job at SMSC.

Talk about frivolous. I hope this doc gets nothing except a huge bill from his lawyer.
I'm with you but not sure of the odds... Know a guy that used to sign up for local centuries, then do them as a race. On one of them he fell on a railroad crossing and broke his leg, then sued the club that organized the century - successfully.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:39 PM

safsdsdfgwergwegr