Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2019, 02:12 AM

Merckx Print

Today I ordered a signed Eddy Merckx Paris Roubaix print from the Horton Collection. It will probably go next to my trainer as inspiration for those days when I run out of motivation. I need all I can get these days.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:41 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
Today I ordered a signed Eddy Merckx Paris Roubaix print from the Horton Collection. It will probably go next to my trainer as inspiration for those days when I run out of motivation. I need all I can get these days.
Good on ya..Horton has some beautiful stuff..not cheap but still. I have had him looking for a Tullio signed anything with an original sig for..I donno, 2 decades?
Old 05-05-2019, 01:48 PM

Very cool. Lucky for us, Merckx has signed A LOT of autographs in his life.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:47 PM

I picked up the Paris-Nice print at NAHBS.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:07 PM

Nice picture. Years ago, I ordered the poster of Eddy in the yellow jersey sitting behind his bike. I took it to LA's Ride for the Roses and had Eddy sign it in the middle. Miguel and Lance signed it on the bottom. I don't know if the LA signature devalues it in any way, but since they all doped at some point, does it really matter? Seventeen TDF wins between them. It is framed and hanging in my study.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:36 PM

To be honest, I was waffling on whether or not I should buy it. I usually opt to spend the money on a rear derailleur or some tool, but once I bought my Merckx bobblehead, the floodgates seemed to open and I started nesting. More or a rats nest around the trainer and workbench at the moment, but that's just because I haven't chosen my paint scheme just yet. Maybe a nice Molteni orange accent wall to hide the grease stains...
Old 05-06-2019, 12:29 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
To be honest, I was waffling on whether or not I should buy it. I usually opt to spend the money on a rear derailleur or some tool, but once I bought my Merckx bobblehead, the floodgates seemed to open and I started nesting. More or a rats nest around the trainer and workbench at the moment, but that's just because I haven't chosen my paint scheme just yet. Maybe a nice Molteni orange accent wall to hide the grease stains...
yolo...plus he isn't going to live forever...
Old 05-06-2019, 09:12 AM

I have that print framed and hung in a prominent spot in my home. I enjoy it every day and what I paid for it seems unimportant to me now.

dave
Old 05-06-2019, 10:06 AM

I bought the small version of that print, unsigned, at the California Eroica where I road my Merckx bike re-creation. Hangs in the bike corner of the garage, seems to sum up a lot about the earlier appeal of cycling and of racing.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:05 PM

Umm, you're putting a poster of dirt-speckled Merckx riding over cobbles next to the trainer you'll be riding indoors when the weather is bad?
Old 05-06-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82Picchio View Post
Umm, you're putting a poster of dirt-speckled Merckx riding over cobbles next to the trainer you'll be riding indoors when the weather is bad?
https://youtu.be/_BcHekNAfOo
Old 05-06-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
I'm well acquainted with the clip. The OP is not putting up a poster of Eddy riding rollers, however, he seeks inspiration from an image of Eddy riding Roubaix.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Good on ya..Horton has some beautiful stuff..not cheap but still. I have had him looking for a Tullio signed anything with an original sig for..I donno, 2 decades?
Wow, that would be amazing. I imagine original signed TC prints in decent condition are extremely rare? What did the Horton people tell you? Have they ever found one in all that time?
Old 05-06-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82Picchio View Post
Yeah, but even Eddy wouldn’t ride 5-6 months out of the year here. Fat-biking never took with me, so the trainer it is. His job will be to stare the whiny out of me.

Most of the time I watch cobbled classics videos when on the trainer. I have seen them so many times, I really don’t look at them except to occasionally remind myself that some people have worse days on a bike than I’m having at the moment. It may be 40F in my dark garage, but at least it’s not raining and the chances of falling at high speeds are remote.