Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2019, 08:07 PM

OT: Cat Cargo

Not particularly relevant to anything and not seeking advice—just thought someone might be interested.

Just retired and currently traveling from the home we sold yesterday in Indiana to Eugene Oregon. We’re traveling with our dog. We also have a 15 year old Calico cat. We chose not to take her with us because the car is already too crowded, the dog and cat aren’t best friends, and the pet-friendly hotels/air B&Bs are less friendly to cats. So we decided to send her by air cargo to our son in Portland and we’ll retrieve her from there. Turned out to be an expensive ordeal.

We purchased an airline-approved crate several weeks ahead to see if she’d get used to it. To our surprise, she spent most of her time in it. We took her to the vet within the 10 day window before the flight and the vet thought it was fine. Got all the forms signed and immunizations updated.

I dragged myself out of bed at 4AM to get her to the air cargo facility 2 hr. before her 8AM flight, having checked to be sure the temperatures at all the airports were within the allowable range. I was told the crate was too small. Even though it was by now her favorite spot, when she stood up, her head grazed the top. Not big enough. Had to drive her back home, reschedule for same time next day and buy her the next larger crate, which was cavernous for a 9 lb. cat.

Next AM took her back, and this time all was good. Submitted all the paperwork, paid $270 and drove home.

Shortly after getting back I got the phone call: “I’m really sorry, but your cat didn’t make it.” My response was something along the lines of “are you effing kidding me, how did she die?” Then the apology for word choice. She didn’t travel the quarter mile from the cargo facility to the airplane due to ‘human error’. Missed the flight.

That was American Airlines and they had no other suitable flight out same day, but Delta did. Drove back to the airport, while frantically getting cargo space on that flight within the required 2 hr. window. Even though they had my credit card info, I still had to be at the airport (for the 3rd time) to sign papers. And Delta charged $380, which is why I went with American initially.

At the end, she arrived safely, though later than planned, and my son and gf had the pleasure of bathing a soiled cat in their sink. And apparently it’s terrorized their dog.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:15 PM

Wow, what an ordeal. Happy it all worked out.

My wife drove her two cats from Seattle to Petaluma, CA back in '02. We both brought her mom's cat from Seattle to Sonoma last year. Let me assure you, regardless of the cost and inconvenience you did the right thing and your cat appreciates it.

edit:... and, well, yeah, proving again that American Airlines sucks in every respect.

Last edited by donevwil; 05-01-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:32 PM

What are you doing now? Are you moving permanently?
Old 05-01-2019, 08:50 PM

I liked the “didn’t make it” part. It got me also
Old 05-01-2019, 08:55 PM

Moving permanently. Staying at an air B&B in Eugene while we seek an appropriate house. Left our stuff in storage until then. In the last 6 mos. we’ve filled 2 dumpsters and taken countless loads to Goodwill and Restore as we cleared our house and my wife’s pottery studio, and tore down her wood-fired kiln. Oh, and had my knee replaced 3 mos ago and my hip 1 mo ago, which has made lifting boxes more challenging.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:01 PM
coffee consumer

oh crap...I'm about as far away from being a 'cat guy' as possible but my heart goes out to you! ..15 years old would be pretty stressful for a journey that far, but still...to miss her flight???? man, that's quite an ordeal!
Old 05-01-2019, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

What a ordeal, I’m glad it’s partially behind you. Now the move, oof.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftCleats View Post
She didn’t travel the quarter mile from the cargo facility to the airplane due to ‘human error’. Missed the flight.

That was American Airlines and they had no other suitable flight out same day, but Delta did. Drove back to the airport, while frantically getting cargo space on that flight within the required 2 hr. window. Even though they had my credit card info, I still had to be at the airport (for the 3rd time) to sign papers. And Delta charged $380, which is why I went with American initially.
Ummm...they (AA) screwed up. They should have arranged to get your cat on that DA flight at their expense. Someone forgot to move your cat to the plane, which you paid them to do. That's their problem. Did they even offer to get her onto another flight that day? That's really poor CS, but we're talking airlines, so not a shocker.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:19 PM

They absolutely should have compensated you for their screw up. I would have been mad as hell. Travel like that can be incredibly stressful on pets. Especially older ones. Multiple trips to the airport were likely hard enough. They dropped the ball big time.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
They dropped the ball big time.
They dropped the ball. So did someone else. Animals are not "air cargo".

Last edited by saab2000; 05-01-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:28 PM
Boeuf Chane

If I had to move cross-country with my cats I'd seriously consider renting a motorhome. They hate the car, but I think the'd get used to the RV, especially when they realized that they weren't going to the vet. One issue would be that I'd have to come up with a system to make sure that they couldn't make a break for it when a human was exiting the vehicle.

Edit: not my cats, just a random image on the web.

Last edited by Louis; 05-01-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:14 AM

To be fair, the company responsible is an intermediary that contracts with both AA and Delta, but the money is paid directly to the airlines so getting refunds and compensation isn’t so straightforward. In the end the cat is safe and likely will never speak to us again. BTW, cat’s name is Tickles. Daughter named its now-deceased sibling Tess. Son then named this one. (“Get it, Dad, TessTickles”).
Old 05-02-2019, 09:48 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
If I had to move cross-country with my cats I'd seriously consider renting a motorhome. They hate the car, but I think the'd get used to the RV, especially when they realized that they weren't going to the vet. One issue would be that I'd have to come up with a system to make sure that they couldn't make a break for it when a human was exiting the vehicle.

Edit: not my cats, just a random image on the web.

You could get tips from EBAUMANN. His cat back pack is pretty crazy. Of course, he only has one cat
Old 05-02-2019, 10:47 AM

Man my heart sank when I read the words 'your cat didn't make it.' I can't imagine what that was like for you! LOL! Geesh!!!!

Calico's are the best. Here's my Rosemary.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:56 AM

I drove two cats from St. Louis to Cincinnati for a move. The vet gave us something to 'calm' them. One was knocked out and the other had an adverse reaction and went nuts the whole time. Never again.