Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Interesting, I have had my garmin 1000 for probably 4 years, the battery is still totally fine. I think new it lasted almost 10 hours now it does a solid 8. You might have had bad luck with yours.
My friends with the 1000 had better battery experiences, but I wasn't a fan of how big the 1000 series units are. When I first got the 820 the battery life was probably about 10 hours and as soon as the second winter hit after my 1 year warranty was over the battery life fell through the floor.

Maybe my 820 was a dud, but it was a pretty expensive dud for 1.5 years of use.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
It tried it. It works! Thank you!

Steps:
1. downloaded the RideWithGPS gpx file to Dropbox on my iOS (iPad Pro)
2. import the gpx from Dropbox to Garmin Connect website on the same device. This creates a new course in Garmin Connect.
3. From Garmin Connect app, send the course to the bluetooth-connected Garmin 810.
Still seems archaic and frustrating compared to just pinning ANY route on RWGPS and it automatically showing up on my Wahoo app .

We use to bring laptops to D2R2 to load the mystery ride on our Garmin when they were released the night before. Now I just wake up the morning of, pin the route, download and go!
Old 05-03-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsafran View Post
Still seems archaic and frustrating compared to just pinning ANY route on RWGPS and it automatically showing up on my Wahoo app .

We use to bring laptops to D2R2 to load the mystery ride on our Garmin when they were released the night before. Now I just wake up the morning of, pin the route, download and go!
So I’m your opinion does wahoos “lack of true navigation” bother you at all? It sounds like they rely on data from ride with gps etc so if those are accurate you’re good- but how often have you found that they aren’t accurate?

Just curious as I’m mildly considering finally getting a computer. I use a garmin watch right now and it does turn by turn just fine sometimes it’s a little annoying to have to pay attention to your wrist
Old 05-03-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
So I’m your opinion does wahoos “lack of true navigation” bother you at all? It sounds like they rely on data from ride with gps etc so if those are accurate you’re good- but how often have you found that they aren’t accurate?

Just curious as I’m mildly considering finally getting a computer. I use a garmin watch right now and it does turn by turn just fine sometimes it’s a little annoying to have to pay attention to your wrist
As someone who generally plans their ride with RWGPS this does not bother me at all.

The only time this has been even close to an issue is when I have been doing offroad trails that are new to me. There have been a couple times where either the trail is closed, is impassible or hasn't been maintained. I generally just use the map function to find different roads that take me back to my intended route. I have never been lost because of this, and find I rarely need my computer to create a route for me on the go.

As a disclaimer I would consider my sense of direction pretty good so some people may rely on the route making. I would probably appreciate true navigation traveling abroad.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsafran View Post
As someone who generally plans their ride with RWGPS this does not bother me at all.

The only time this has been even close to an issue is when I have been doing offroad trails that are new to me. There have been a couple times where either the trail is closed, is impassible or hasn't been maintained. I generally just use the map function to find different roads that take me back to my intended route. I have never been lost because of this, and find I rarely need my computer to create a route for me on the go.

As a disclaimer I would consider my sense of direction pretty good so some people may rely on the route making. I would probably appreciate true navigation traveling abroad.
Good to know. I usually use routes when riding in a place that is unfamiliar or has no cell reception because I always have my phone on me. Sounds like garmin might be more up my alley
Old 05-03-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
It tried it. It works! Thank you!

Steps:
1. downloaded the RideWithGPS gpx file to Dropbox on my iOS (iPad Pro)
2. import the gpx from Dropbox to Garmin Connect website on the same device. This creates a new course in Garmin Connect.
3. From Garmin Connect app, send the course to the bluetooth-connected Garmin 810.

It's a work-around, but it addresses the annoyance of having to plug in the Garmin to transfer the file. This is particularly convenient for when I only have access to an iOS device (iPad) which does not have a USB port.
Glad to hear it worked.

For what it's worth, I'm not a RWGPS user so the lack of direct download is a non-issue for me. I do, however, regularly use the on device maps and GPS and I've found the 520 Plus (buttons from the 520 and most of the mapping from the 820) to be just about perfect.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:18 PM
#RYFB

I've had a BOLT for a while now and have been quite happy with it. As others have noted, the integrations are pretty seamless. Then again, I don't ride that often in places unfamiliar to me so routing hasn't been an issue.

However, this week I did a long ride and needed to have the route so I created it in RideWithGPS…I now get the complaints about routing and, if my riding included more unfamiliar territory I would consider a Roam or Garmin 8xx.

That said, part of my frustration is attributable to RWGPS rather than Wahoo -- its routing kept trying to take me off a main road that, while busy, was known and direct. I managed to find many of these annoying deviations and correct them before saving the route, but not all of them, which led to multiple instances of "turn right on Podunk St" when I could see the main road stretching for miles ahead of me. Perhaps I am not taking advantage of some preferences in creating routes?
Old 05-03-2019, 06:23 PM
Randomhead

I'm pretty sure RWGPS blames those problems on google. But they have a lot of problems, and they need to work more on routing instead of trying to be strava.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:10 PM

This is where garmin on the fly routing with the 1030 and newer units excels. You tell it where you want to go and it takes you there. If you decide you don’t like a street or just want to deviate from what it shows it will reroute automatically. It’s a really nice feature similar to driving with WAZE or any other gps app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post

That said, part of my frustration is attributable to RWGPS rather than Wahoo -- its routing kept trying to take me off a main road that, while busy, was known and direct. I managed to find many of these annoying deviations and correct them before saving the route, but not all of them, which led to multiple instances of "turn right on Podunk St" when I could see the main road stretching for miles ahead of me. Perhaps I am not taking advantage of some preferences in creating routes?
There are a few ways to get around this...
- Uncheck "avoid highways"
- You can check "walking" instead of cycling
- Using a different map layer. "OSM cycle" is usually good.
- If all else fails, just manually connect the route.

RWGPS is by far the best way to create routes. Also their files will give you turn by turn navigation. Strava files won't
Old 05-07-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
This is where garmin on the fly routing with the 1030 and newer units excels. You tell it where you want to go and it takes you there. If you decide you don’t like a street or just want to deviate from what it shows it will reroute automatically. It’s a really nice feature similar to driving with WAZE or any other gps app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The new ROAM also has this function. Also, if you go off course it will re-route you back the shortest way possible with a blue Chevron Arrow. Neat-o.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I've had a BOLT for a while now and have been quite happy with it. As others have noted, the integrations are pretty seamless. Then again, I don't ride that often in places unfamiliar to me so routing hasn't been an issue.

However, this week I did a long ride and needed to have the route so I created it in RideWithGPS…I now get the complaints about routing and, if my riding included more unfamiliar territory I would consider a Roam or Garmin 8xx.

I've had success using Strava and Komoot to create routes for TbT directions on the Bolt. I use Strava routes to create a route, export it into Komoot, and then use Komoot to export it to the Bolt for directions. So far it's worked at home and on vacation in Europe.