Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2019, 05:13 PM

I guess perceiving the Roam as a let down is based on your expectations. Wahoo hasn't claimed that the new unit would revolutionize cycling computers.

The two big complaints about the Bolt were navigation weaknesses, and the monochrome screen.

Seems to me that this is an attempt to upgrade the navigational functions of the prior model. Wahoo probably figured that they could roll this out with a color screen to leverage efficiency, addressing two issues at once. So when noting the the Roam is a let down, what else are folks looking for? The Bolt is solid enough, why would a complete revamp be needed?

I vaguely remember that Wahoo's marketing material was touting the monochrome screen as an asset for the Bolt. It had to do with readability versus the Garmin color screens. Kinda funny that they are trying to upsell a new unit with color now.

Last edited by berserk87; 05-01-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post

I vaguely remember that Wahoo's marketing material was touting the monochrome screen as an asset for the Bolt. It had to do with readability versus the Garmin color screens. Kinda funny that they are trying to upsell a new unit with color now.
Additionally it’s laterally stiffer, vertically more compliant and it’s worth 26 seconds saved in a 40 km time trial.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
good to know.

I would go 1030 but I think I will be ok with a smaller form factor tbh

Agree and wish the 830 was available when I purchased last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfifty View Post
Had the edge 1000 but the TbT navigation was so iffy. On a 160 mile ride with navigation, I paused during a break and after unpausing, the edge 1000 was still showing the route but no TbT notifications when it previously did. This was the last time I had any faith in any Garmin products. Been with the Bolt for a while and have been loving it. This new Roam looks nice

The navigation on the newer units is a pretty big improvement in my experience. The 1000 was pretty amazing when it was released but like all tech it didn’t age well. I agree it was glitchy, could freeze up, and generally was a POS in the rain.

Seems like the knock on the Roam is that while it dad add key features the actual performance of the device is like buying an old edge 1000 while the competition has moved forward since wahoo upstaged then a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2019, 09:24 PM

New Wahoo Roam release/review

I’m not a fan of the form factor of the wahoo units. Not sure what’s going on with the asymmetry and blobby thickness on all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Based on DC Rainmaker's review the Roam doesn't have support for the Varia and as he points out from a real-world sales opportunity that he witnessed, it's a deal killer.

I love my Varia. It’s the only reason I still have a garmin unit. Would wahoo even be able to integrate it if they wanted to? Seems like it would be a proprietary Garmin thing.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:26 PM

I *might* buy a cycling computer for the first time and after reading that review is will probably be the 830 but I’ll also get 35% off so that’s a contributing factor
Old 05-01-2019, 11:03 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
The navigation on the newer units is a pretty big improvement in my experience. The 1000 was pretty amazing when it was released but like all tech it didn’t age well. I agree it was glitchy, could freeze up, and generally was a POS in the rain.
is there some indication that the 1030 is better in the rain?
Old 05-01-2019, 11:14 PM

I had no idea I was so disappointed in the Bolt. I thought I liked the screen, that it was easy to read. I thought I liked the app & it was easy to change things around as long as I had my phone (and when don't I?). I thought the routing was easy to use and way way better than the 500/520 I used before it. I didn't know I was pining for a color screen, since the one on the 520 was more difficult to read than the B&W one of the bolt.
So glad I got that straightened out.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:18 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
I’m not a fan of the form factor of the wahoo units. Not sure what’s going on with the asymmetry and blobby thickness on all of them.

I love my Varia. It’s the only reason I still have a garmin unit. Would wahoo even be able to integrate it if they wanted to? Seems like it would be a proprietary Garmin thing.
I read a couple one things online last week about it. One is that they are working on it, the other is that they have no plans on doing so. Different websites.

I hope they do but not holding my breath because as we can see in this thread, garmin will be better off just keeping it in the garmin family since we like the varia so much we will keep buying garmins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
I *might* buy a cycling computer for the first time and after reading that review is will probably be the 830 but I’ll also get 35% off so that’s a contributing factor
Do tell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I have never had problems with my 1000 in the rain, what problems does it have in the rain?
Old 05-02-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsafran View Post
Their RideWithGPS integration also makes loading maps so easy compared to a Garmin while traveling or already on the road.

This is a big deal. The Bolt downloads routes without plugging in, and that is a huge convenience. Does 830 do that?

fwiw my Garmin (810?) still navigates beautifully but loading routes to it is tedious.

Instagram
Old 05-02-2019, 05:51 AM
aka RAEKWON

I agree, that is a big deal and I cannot believe that in 2019... garmin still does not have RWGPS integration without a cumbersome app that has to be downloaded.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
This is a big deal. The Bolt downloads routes without plugging in, and that is a huge convenience. Does 830 do that?

fwiw my Garmin (810?) still navigates beautifully but loading routes to it is tedious.
You can import gpx and tcx files from Ridewithgps into Garmin Connect and download routes to newer Garmins from the Connect app without plugging in. It's an extra step, but the Connect app works pretty well and lets you upload rides or download workouts, maps, segments, etc. without needing a computer.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I agree, that is a big deal and I cannot believe that in 2019... garmin still does not have RWGPS integration without a cumbersome app that has to be downloaded.
You still need an app for the Wahoo. The difference is they have a direct sync with RWGPS and Garmin doesn't. So there's an extra step. It's definitely a missed opportunity for Garmin, but I also wonder what percentage of Garmin users are regularly downloading routes from RWGPS. Maybe not enough for them to put any effort behind the integration.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
The screen in general is better in wet or sweaty conditions and in the rain I haven't had the issues I had with the 1000. I may be misremembering but I feel like others, possibly DC Rainmaker, may have commented on this improvement as well.

The 1000 was tricky to use with gloves and even with full fingered gloves the 1030 works pretty well. I had some of the same reservations you are voicing after having the 1000 and reluctantly bought the 1030 when I figured out the Wahoo didn't quite meet my navigational needs/wants (this is to say I owned the Wahoo and tried it for several months. It worked really well for everything else so I'm not dinging it at all but for navigation it sucked). However, I have to say that while not perfect the 1030 is a huge improvement over the 1000, imho.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Additionally it’s laterally stiffer, vertically more compliant and it’s worth 26 seconds saved in a 40 km time trial.
If you don't work in the marketing department at Specialized, you should definitely send them a resume. Strong work, my friend.