Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2019, 10:59 PM

Workstand recommendations requested

Had a Feedback Sports Pro Elite. It was really great, but I ain't got it no more 'cuz, well, it done gone needed to go bye bye when it did.

Now need a new one. Anything else out there as good as the Pro Elite? The thing I liked the most was that quick release feature.

Appreciate any suggestions.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:17 AM
You still here?

I’ve had a Pro Elite stand I got years ago when they were branded Ultimate, still working extremely well. I going to get a Feedback Sprint stand to use when I’m servicing tri-bikes with the odd seatpost profiles that the Pro Elite can’t handle.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:03 AM

I still have one of the original Ultimate stands I have used for about 20 years as a mobile repair service and a pro elite Feedback. I also use the Hirobel clamp for Aero seatposts.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:44 PM

Feedback sports sprint for me. Works very smooth. Secure attachment. Ticks all the boxes
Old 04-29-2019, 11:47 PM

If you want a clamp type work stand the $35 ebay ones are more than good enough. I have one of those and they are sturdy as hell. but I'm going to get the front dropouts fixed type with bottom bracket support next. They seem to be much sturdier than the clamp down on top tube or seat post type.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:24 AM

depends upon what your priorities are...

the Park post-clamp style stands are great for being set-and-forget. they're heavy and clunky to setup/tear down, but hold a bike well and you can get bikes in and out of them quick enough. if you need quick setup/tear-down, I'd look at Feedback. if you need lightweight, they also have some great options for it. if you need to work on many bikes frequently, the quick release clamp on their Pro Elite is the way to go. if you hate how long even a standard clamp takes, you'll hate the Sprint (or other beam-style stands) as it takes even longer to remove a wheel and then clamp the bike. if however, you frequently do deep work on the bike, do full builds, or have a bike with odd-shaped tubes, the beam-style stands are excellent.

so... like I said, it depends upon what your priorities are
Old 04-30-2019, 09:43 AM

I've had the same heavy park one since 2001 and it's still going strong, my guess is I paid half or less what the Feedback Sports Pro elite one cost.

You didn't mention your bike requirements.. if you've got a bike with an integrated seatmast with an aero profile on the seatmast that really informs your decision.

I had such a bike and it was a PITA to use with my Park, but I don't have that bike anymore. My Trek Domane is OK to clamp on the seatmast topper according to the dealer so no worries there. I have a Specialize CG-R post on my other bike and that is a bit of a pain to use too.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:19 PM

Thanks folks.

Plain bikes, no weird seatposts. Just used for general tune ups and cleaning, the occasional n+1 build, need to fold up and put away since space at a premium.

Sounds like I'll get the Feedback stand again. That was a nice setup. Was just curious of what else is out there in similar scope.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:39 PM
50 bpm

I now use my Elite Pro Race stand more than my Topeak Prepstand (similar to the Feedback) because it's easier, although you do have to remove the front wheel.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:27 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Thanks folks.

Plain bikes, no weird seatposts. Just used for general tune ups and cleaning, the occasional n+1 build, need to fold up and put away since space at a premium.

Sounds like I'll get the Feedback stand again. That was a nice setup. Was just curious of what else is out there in similar scope.
Nothing tops a Feedback for home use. IMO.

Get the one with the quick release (Elite Pro?)
Old 04-30-2019, 07:27 PM
what's a little rust?

Does Feedback have a smaller clamp area than Park?

I have the Park consumer stand, and the jaws of the clamp are tall. It's not compatible with the fist full of seat post I'm working with.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:55 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

If you've got the DIY skills, get a bench/wall mount from Park and an EVT clamp that fits.

M
Old 05-01-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric01 View Post
Feedback sports sprint for me. Works very smooth. Secure attachment. Ticks all the boxes

I have one of these. Having to remove a wheel to attach it to the stand is a PITA, and resting on the bottom bracket shell isn't too secure.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:47 PM

I have the older Ultimate Elite stand that works great for a lot of maintenance but about 6-7 years ago, I got a Feedback Sports Sprint stand.

It works great especially when building up a bike. You have a solid base when working on bottom brackets and it allows you to spin the bike to easily get to the other side for cabling or washing or installing bar tape.

Both types of stands have their pros and cons. I am glad I have both so I get the best of both worlds. If someone twisted my arm and said I could only chose one, it would be Feedback Sports Sprint stand.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2019, 06:21 AM

I had a park clamping stand years back. Crimped a cannondale seat tube. With modern carbon frames I’m even more paranoid. Since then, sprint stand for me.