Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2019, 11:57 PM

OT: Stihl MS 461 vs MS 462 C-M

Anyone navigated the MS 461 vs MS 462 C-M when buying a Stihl saw?

The manufacturer's website lists the MS 462 C-M as a current model, but a significant number of dealer's are carrying the MS 461 instead.

The MS 461 was recalled in 2017. I don't know if the dealers are selling the repaired returns or whether the end of the run was repaired...

I wanted buying a quality chainsaw to be straightforward.

Appreciate any experiences with this.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:44 AM

i am in the same boat. My town was hit by an F3 Thursday and we have been running chainsaws non stop since. I’ll be grabbing a new saw in the next day or two. Curious to see what info this thread produces.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:22 AM

Sthil

I own 3, but I own the Farm/Ranch models. The local dealer recommended those over the Professional models even though I went in to purchase the Professional models. I own a 12” trim saw which really works well for trimming tree branches it’s the MS 150, I own a 14” MS 201 and finally a heavy saw an MS 291. I use the 201 for most of the clean up after hurricanes and it works flawlessly. The 291 is used only on the biggest tree trunks and branches. I think unless you are working as a professional the Farm and Ranch line of saws is good enough.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:31 AM

This looks like a pretty good comparison, with a clear 'winner', but I'd say for limited work over relatively short duration, either should be more than adequate and any cost factor would probably sway me if I were making this decision: https://www.hendersonmowers.com.au/n...-461-chainsaw/

That said, I'm a Husky guy myself....
Old 04-28-2019, 12:27 PM

Wow, those are serious machines! Are you felling huge trees?

To echo Bentley's comments: Might be overkill for general cleanup and putting up firewood. I 've owned a 291 for 15 years, 9 if those heating exclusively with a wood burning stove: 2-6 cords per season. The saw was always up to the task. Only tree I struggled with was a dead maple, 40" in diameter. I upgraded to a 20" bar and bigger chain and got through it.

Last edited by pbarry; 04-28-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:01 PM

Yeah. Neighbor is a true PNW logger. Cut professionally for 40 years. He runs the 461 saw.

That said, a huge saw for infrequent use is a tad dangerous. The big saws are heavy, and as your arms fatigue you get sloppy with one of the most dangerous tools you can buy.

A 200 level equivalent might be a good thing to look at.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:03 PM

Thanks for all the recommendations to buy less saw. If I lived in the suburbs you'd be right. But there are abundant hardwoods on our property and we live in tree country.

I'm replacing a Husqvarna 460 rancher 20 bar.

Like msl819, we are cutting out after a F1/F2. I'm going to have to process a century & 1/2 live oak, a mature popular, and 5 sweet gums (26-30"). There is more to do. Not even counting the trees the just had the tops snapped off.

What I'd really be curious to hear is, anyone that has returned a Stihl MS 461 or bought a MS 462 C-M in the last couple years.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:07 PM

Stihl

I can’t speak to that model, but Stihls plain work. I’d be surprised if you would ever have a problem. I will add that if you use their synthetic oil and buy a 6 pack when you buy the saw they tend to double the 1 yr warranty
Old 04-28-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
Thanks for all the recommendations to buy less saw. If I lived in the suburbs you'd be right. But there are abundant hardwoods on our property and we live in tree country.

I'm replacing a Husqvarna 460 rancher 20 bar.

Like msl819, we are cutting out after a F1/F2. I'm going to have to process a century & 1/2 live oak, a mature popular, and 5 sweet gums (26-30"). There is more to do. Not even counting the trees the just had the tops snapped off.

What I'd really be curious to hear is, anyone that has returned a Stihl MS 461 or bought a MS 462 C-M in the last couple years.
You have some serious volume to deal with! The Husky 460 can push a much bigger bar than the 20".. When I've had a lot to do in a day, I've been able to borrow a second saw and keep going if the chain hit a stone or embedded wire. If it runs ok, would hold onto the 460 as backup.

Dig the gyro feature on the 462, very cool. There must be a saw forum out there, with folks more familiar with those big guns.

Last edited by pbarry; 04-28-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:40 PM

Part of my life is as an incident commander in FEMA, and both in the field and when running training classes, I use both 461's and 462CM's quite a bit, in the field and when managing wildfire teams.

First of all, the 461 has a traditional valved carburetor while the 462CM has electronic injection. It's more finicky with contaminated or old fuel, and Stihl tunes it to have less torque so you basically just pull the trigger and run it at max revs. Loggers and wildfire professionals don't like it much for this reason. Stihl has adjusted it to address these concerns, but loggers in particular are conservative and because firefighters tend to respect their views, the new ignition systems and power curves are slow to catch on. I prefer having more control using the trigger, rather than just pulling it all the way to get enough power to cut rapidly.

It's worthwhile understanding use patterns with big saws. A logger may only cut a couple hours a day, spending the rest of the time prepping and clearing to fell their quota for the day. Wildfire experts use a big saw perhaps 6-9 hours, almost nonstop, and even a 6'6" high school football star volunteer gets crushed by a big saw. We put some crew in California last year on the opposite end of the Stihl Spectrum, the 501C, which is designed for one-handed work up in trees by arborists, and they cleared more per hour and lasted twice as long as with the big saws. The 501C is still close to $600 and a precision saw. It can easily fell a 18 inch caliper standing tree or plunge-cut a 24-inch caliper, and most of your cutting is small stuff. It's a jewel of a saw, every bit as expensive or more so, but it does a remarkable job.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:05 PM

Also a fan of light saws. I have a bad back and many years back switched to a Stihl 020AVP, also a light arborist's saw. What I learned coming from a larger saw is that the smaller saw cut nearly as fast because the chain was narrower so removed less material as the cut progressed. The downside is that a dull chain affects the smaller saw more, so keeping the chain sharp takes more attention.

Loaned that saw to a friend, he decided to buy a new Poulan, and someone broke into his place and stole the old Stihl instead of the new Poulan :-( Now I have a Husky 336 with a 16" bar, similar concept, even lighter than the Stihl and more horsepower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
Part of my life is as an incident commander in FEMA, and both in the field and when running training classes, I use both 461's and 462CM's quite a bit, in the field and when managing wildfire teams.

First of all, the 461 has a traditional valved carburetor while the 462CM has electronic injection. It's more finicky with contaminated or old fuel, and Stihl tunes it to have less torque so you basically just pull the trigger and run it at max revs. Loggers and wildfire professionals don't like it much for this reason. Stihl has adjusted it to address these concerns, but loggers in particular are conservative and because firefighters tend to respect their views, the new ignition systems and power curves are slow to catch on. I prefer having more control using the trigger, rather than just pulling it all the way to get enough power to cut rapidly.

It's worthwhile understanding use patterns with big saws. A logger may only cut a couple hours a day, spending the rest of the time prepping and clearing to fell their quota for the day. Wildfire experts use a big saw perhaps 6-9 hours, almost nonstop, and even a 6'6" high school football star volunteer gets crushed by a big saw. We put some crew in California last year on the opposite end of the Stihl Spectrum, the 501C, which is designed for one-handed work up in trees by arborists, and they cleared more per hour and lasted twice as long as with the big saws. The 501C is still close to $600 and a precision saw. It can easily fell a 18 inch caliper standing tree or plunge-cut a 24-inch caliper, and most of your cutting is small stuff. It's a jewel of a saw, every bit as expensive or more so, but it does a remarkable job.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Also a fan of light saws. I have a bad back and many years back switched to a Stihl 020AVP, also a light arborist's saw. What I learned coming from a larger saw is that the smaller saw cut nearly as fast because the chain was narrower so removed less material as the cut progressed. The downside is that a dull chain affects the smaller saw more, so keeping the chain sharp takes more attention.

Loaned that saw to a friend, he decided to buy a new Poulan, and someone broke into his place and stole the old Stihl instead of the new Poulan :-( Now I have a Husky 336 with a 16" bar, similar concept, even lighter than the Stihl and more horsepower.
Point well taken, but weight is not my primary concern. The line tops out at 12-13lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post

interesting. we don't have the same exhaust restrictions in Florida as elsewhere. perhaps that explains the carb version being sold here as opposed to the electronic mgmt system. cleaner air? yeah, it'll be cleaner if the saw don't start, that's for sure.