Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2019, 10:38 PM

Giant Control Tower is the best pump I've ever used. about $35 amazing quality just like everything giant makes. Bought one fresh out of the factory in Taiwan a few months ago.

Last edited by zmalwo; 04-23-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:25 PM

I use the Bontrager Supercharger floor pump. All aluminum construction. Light and sturdy. Looks slick. The gauge is at the top of the pump for easier reading. Has an air release trigger on the head in case you overpump for some reason. Not cheap, but worth the price imo.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3roadracer View Post
So you had a Silca for 15 years, and had to rebuild it 10 times. What was the reason for these rebuilds?

Inside the main cyclinder, there is a metal plunger that used a large leather circular flap as a seal. Every time you would pump, the leather flexed back and forth against the steel plunger. As you would imagine, bending leather back and forth thousands of times eventually results in it ripping. You would lube the leather, but had to be careful not to use too much grease, or it would making pumping more difficult. Also, replacing grommets in chuck was common.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:12 AM

$30 specialized pump serves me well. No drama, just stick it on, flip the lever and pump.

You’d think this would be expected from any pump, but many I’ve used over the years, especially when racing all over the world, can’t do that.

I don’t see the point in getting one that screws on or takes a similar level of effort to use. Or that looks neat or is very expensive and rebuildable. I could buy three or four pumps for $30 that will last the rest of my cycling career...
Old 04-24-2019, 08:36 AM

The Shiznit

https://www.efficientvelo.com/tools/3-in-1-inflator
Old 04-24-2019, 08:38 AM

Game changer

I love my silca, but my neighbor and ride buddy has the ultimate solution....This ryobi cordless pump. He had to pilfer a presta connection from an old pump of his and do a little hose surgery to make it work, but he is up to 100, lbs in no time and it makes me jealous everytime.

I keep meaning to get one and need to just buy the damn thing.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:58 AM

now that's cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
I love my silca, but my neighbor and ride buddy has the ultimate solution....This ryobi cordless pump. He had to pilfer a presta connection from an old pump of his and do a little hose surgery to make it work, but he is up to 100, lbs in no time and it makes me jealous everytime.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:15 AM
Randomhead

I suspect most pumps will take a standard industrial pressure gauge that can be purchased for <$30.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:21 AM

I invested in a Topeak Joe Blow Booster last year. Has an air chamber that you can charge for tubeless mounting, or can be used as a regular floor pump.

I've been really happy with it so far. Works great for normal pumping, and saved me from buying an air compressor.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:29 AM
That guy..

yea. once you have an inflator. you really dont want to manually pump your tires.

i have the Ryobi aswell. never got around to changing the head out as i use it for my cars aswell. but darn...its nice and simple.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:35 AM

What did you do for presta adaptor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
yea. once you have an inflator. you really dont want to manually pump your tires.

i have the Ryobi aswell. never got around to changing the head out as i use it for my cars aswell. but darn...its nice and simple.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:47 AM

I was close to buying the Craftsman cordless inflator, but decided to keep it simple. Likewise, the compressor one would be more effort because I keep my compressor off and the tank drained unless I'm using it.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:49 AM

this topic has been discussed several times over the past twenty years. I still have the same answer. specialized air tool pro. it is not cheap at $120 but the best quality out there:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ai...=229779-155477

this pump imho is the benchmark for all pumps. of all the pumps I have had over the years this pump keeps working after almost twenty years now.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post

Inflator seems like a cool idea.
How do you check tire pressure while using the inflator? Just use a gauge after you pump a bit to check? I'd be scared to over pump.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post
this pump imho is the benchmark for all pumps. of all the pumps I have had over the years this pump keeps working after almost twenty years now.
have posted this before, but my Nashbar cheapo ($19) pump is now 28 yrs old, has never had any parts replaced, and still gets the tires up to 100 psi.

will. not. die.