Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2019, 02:49 PM

Floor pumps

My Lezyne steel floor pump is starting to show it's age. I've replaced the head, but the gauge is cracked and the pumping action isn't as smooth as it once was. Fixing it (which is usually my first inclination) isn't really a feasible option given the price of the parts, so it will likely get thrown in the back of my car for race days and the like.

Thus, I'm looking for a new floor pump that will be used almost exclusively for road tires (so no high volume/low pressure).

The various options from Lezyne look good, but I am intrigued by the Silca Pista Plus. Nice handle shape, large gauge, rebuildable... there's a lot going on there. Anyone use one? Is it worth the up-charge from Lezyne's offerings like the CNC Drive, Alloy Drive, or the Shop Floor Drive (or the various digital versions)?

I'm not looking for gauge accuracy so much as gauge consistency. I like the Lezyne chuck, except when it unscrews the valve core. I'm just trying to get more quality tools so I can stop replacing them as often.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:59 PM

forget the silca. i forgot mine. get the sks airmenius.
once you do, you will smile each time you pump.
seriously.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:03 PM

I am a big fan of Silca pumps. Readily available parts, completely rebuildable.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:05 PM

Arundel

Never heard of the SKS but it looks sweet.

FWIW I used my Arundel this morning and oddly enough I smiled as well. It's very nice.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
My Lezyne steel floor pump is starting to show it's age. I've replaced the head, but the gauge is cracked and the pumping action isn't as smooth as it once was. Fixing it (which is usually my first inclination) isn't really a feasible option given the price of the parts, so it will likely get thrown in the back of my car for race days and the like.

Thus, I'm looking for a new floor pump that will be used almost exclusively for road tires (so no high volume/low pressure).

The various options from Lezyne look good, but I am intrigued by the Silca Pista Plus. Nice handle shape, large gauge, rebuildable... there's a lot going on there. Anyone use one? Is it worth the up-charge from Lezyne's offerings like the CNC Drive, Alloy Drive, or the Shop Floor Drive (or the various digital versions)?

I'm not looking for gauge accuracy so much as gauge consistency. I like the Lezyne chuck, except when it unscrews the valve core. I'm just trying to get more quality tools so I can stop replacing them as often.
Swap the gauge on my Leyzyne and you can have it. Just provide shipping costs.

Howard.
F8 sold
S-Works SL6 Ultralight
Old 04-23-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
forget the silca. i forgot mine.

This. I had one for about 15 years, rebuilt it probably 10 times. About 5 years ago, I got a Park Tools PFP-4. Big improvement.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:43 PM

Silca

Silca claims that their gauges are within 1% accurate.

It might be worth the extra $ just for that.

The average pump is +-8 psi in terms of accuracy.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
forget the silca. i forgot mine. get the sks airmenius.
once you do, you will smile each time you pump.
seriously.
Are we still doing "phrasing"?
Old 04-23-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katematt View Post
I used my Arundel this morning and oddly enough I smiled as well. It's very nice.
You know, I'm really digging that pump head on the Arundel Floor Pump 1, and it seems to have some good reviews. The fact that it's designed to be serviceable is a plus, and it looks good too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabl10s View Post
Swap the gauge on my Leyzyne and you can have it. Just provide shipping costs.
Appreciate the offer, but there isn't much left on mine besides the handle that I haven't worn out or broken. I think it's time for a replacement.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:20 PM

Sounds like Silca is pretty much off the table. Shame- I've liked the other stuff I've gotten from them.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:50 PM

I ended up snagging an Arundel (free shipping sealed the deal for me), and decided to give their Rubber Gecko handlebar tape a shot to see if it will last on the travel bike. I generally prefer cork, but it just tears too easily in transit.

Hopefully the Arundel works well. If not, I'll move on to the next suggestion.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
This. I had one for about 15 years, rebuilt it probably 10 times. About 5 years ago, I got a Park Tools PFP-4. Big improvement.
So you had a Silca for 15 years, and had to rebuild it 10 times. What was the reason for these rebuilds?
Old 04-23-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post

I got one on a whim. I have the pista plus with the hiro stem. It’s very nice. It replaced my old Silca Pista that was 25 years old and rusted.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3roadracer View Post
So you had a Silca for 15 years, and had to rebuild it 10 times. What was the reason for these rebuilds?
Yeah, my oldest Silca is about 40 years old and has been rebuilt once. I Changed the head seal probably twice.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:51 PM

IME is not that much about the pump but about the head used. Have a crappy floor pump, put a silca shuck head and the thing just rocks.

All the pumps that have non sense 1000 parts chuck heads dont last too long just because are way too complicated... silca head, pretty much no parts, what is simpler than that?