Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Defining “real food” and “not real food” isn’t really the point.

The point is the American diet is completely unhealthy for the planet and for our bodies so creating a “heathy” burger is a logical fallacy. Burgers are not healthy. The impossible burger is not made of vegetables so has very poor nutritional content.

I think the greater question is why are we obsessed with continuing to make “healthy” versions of something that is matter of factly unhealthy.

At what point did America turn from grains (a variety of them not just rice and bread) and products grown out of the ground and not a lab to genetically modified yeast with heem added to it to make it “bleed like meat”

I think Burger King adding the impossible burger to its menu and people freaking out is a prime example of how out of whack a lot of America’s eating habits are.

I think this conversation is a lot more productive if you stop thinking about your own individual habits (not directed at person i quoted by the way) and interactions with food and think about it from a macro perspective.
you are better with words than me. but i think this is essentially what i mean. we are quite a selfish organism.
any time diets, or fads, or meat subs, or any subs, or modified things, or any weird food related things that modern humans have so much trouble understanding.

i respond on these threads because i am absolutely passionate about food education and mis-education. and i am always confused by the confusion. I forget most folks dont grow any of their own food and therefore have no real attachment at all to what makes food good. "The Market" figured out our brains are easy to fool into thinking things are good.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:16 PM

Vegetarian here, had a impossible burger here in FoCo about a month ago and thought it was disgusting. Had a Kobe burger in Denver 2 weeks ago and it was disgusting. I can’t remember the last time I had meat...now I know why. But moral of the story I wouldn’t be able to discern which one was worse in a blind taste test.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbike View Post
Vegetarian here, had a impossible burger here in FoCo about a month ago and thought it was disgusting. Had a Kobe burger in Denver 2 weeks ago and it was disgusting. I can’t remember the last time I had meat...now I know why. But moral of the story I wouldn’t be able to discern which one was worse in a blind taste test.
If you find meat disgusting, then I would expect you to find something that attempts to mimic meat in flavor & consistency disgusting, as well. That only makes sense.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:29 PM

This thread making me hungry.

I did have sous vide pork chop last night at a biz dinner. Oh man, I've never had something done with that prep before. Melted in mouth, almost literally. Soooooo so good.

I don't think you can sous vide a beyond meat patty!
Old 04-03-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
This thread making me hungry.

I did have sous vide pork chop last night at a biz dinner. Oh man, I've never had something done with that prep before. Melted in mouth, almost literally. Soooooo so good.

I don't think you can sous vide a beyond meat patty!
I'm thinking about buying the Joule or Anova so I can sous vide at home.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:57 PM

I've heard it is great but never had something prepared using it, until now. It was so good it was just incredible. Bone-in chop from a farm called Beeler's, and the chop was also smoked.

Here was the menu item.

HICKORY SMOKED BEELER’S PORK CHOP
PORK SUGO, CARAMELIZED APPLE, MUSTARD OIL, APPLE CIDER JUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunner View Post
I'm thinking about buying the Joule or Anova so I can sous vide at home.

Last edited by 54ny77; 04-03-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:24 PM
commuter racer

Fast food is an indulgence, it was never really truly supposed to replace healthy food. Many vegetarians like meat, they just don't like the ethics of it all. It's horrible for the environment and for the animals in most cases. I love steak, if it grew on trees I'd be eating it right now with bordelaise sauce. I've been eating garden burgers of all sorts for the last 20 years and during that time I wasn't even a vegetarian. I just liked them as a quick easy meal that didn't stink up my kitchen like ground chuck. If I want healthy food I'll make a salad or a stir fry. I think it's great that fast food companies like BK are offering Vegetarian options to people stuck in Airports or Highways with no other options. Will I seek out an impossible burger for dinner? Probably not, but I like having that option out there if I want a burger.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:23 PM

mmmmm...nothing sassisfies a hankerin' like some legehemoglobin. It sounds like something they give gunshot victims.

Speaking of delicious laboratory food, anyone remember that "Olestra" fake fat crap that gave you an oily rectal discharge?
Old 04-29-2019, 12:02 PM

so it looks like Burger King is going to go nation wide now with the impossible burger after test market results:

https://fox8.com/2019/04/29/burger-k...united-states/
Old 04-29-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
I just don't get why even try to make something into something it is not. Sell it as a veggie sandwich, why try to make into a fake meat burger, so Soylent Green, not fooling anyone.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/18/s...food-bars.html

Det. Thorn: Hatcher, get to the Exchange. You gotta tell them they're right.
Hatcher: But let's take care of you first.
Det. Thorn: You don't understand. I've got proof. They need proof, I've seen it. I've seen it happening. They've gotta tell people.
Hatcher: Tell them what?
Det. Thorn: The ocean's dying. Plankton's dying. It's people. Soylent Green is made out of people. They're making our food out of people. Next thing, they'll be breeding us like cattle for food. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!
Hatcher: I promise. Tiger. I promise. I'll tell the Exchange.
Det. Thorn: You tell everybody. Listen to me Hatcher! You've gotta tell 'em! SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE! We gotta stop them! Somehow!
Old 04-29-2019, 09:33 PM

The impossible burger doesn't really seem like it's for vegetarians, because most vegetarians (I am one) have lost the taste for meat. If you eat meat, you think the burger is all about the meat and when I ate meat I couldn't imagine eating a burger without it. But now that I'm one of these obnoxious vegetarians, I'm perfectly happy eating a half way decent veggie burger because to me the burger is tomato, the lettuce, the cheese, the bun, etc. There's no way I want a burger that's more like actual meat. I'll stick with black beans, thanks.

Some veggie protein is heavily processed for sure, but I want to defend fake stuff in general. A lot of great stuff is fake. Led Zeppelin is fake blues. A bicycle is a fake horse. Some great things start off as bad approximations of something else, and then are justly appreciated for being truly new developments.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonasovereign View Post
the beyond burger is pretty darned close. I'm on board for the non-animal stuff if it reduces the number of cows in the world. People can't seem to manage without the foods they've grown accustomed to, so let's find replacements.

Environmental damage (methane in the atmosphere, forests decimated for grazing land, holding tanks with lakes of liquid crap) and torture of animals is objectively terrible. If we can safely science our way out of that one, it would be a crime not to.
+1000
Old 04-29-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
i dont get the need for things to be like meat. are we seriously so messed up in our heads we need fake meat in this society?

the answer is "yes, we are messed up in our heads and need fake meat"

and that is just weird.

stop eating fake foods, just eat normal real foods.

im shocked how many folks have even tried this crap
Some of us used to eat meat but stopped for ethical, environmental and whatever other reasons. Neverthless meat is tasty so some of us veggies/vegans still crave it from time to time even though we have made an intellectual decision to drop it.

Impossible/Beyond/BK is junk food - it ain't healthy, per se. Arguing all vegetarian options are supposed to be healthy by virtue of them being meat-free is foolishness. Ever been to the average restaurant as a vegetarian? It mostly sucks.

I've eaten a few Beyond Burgers at A&W after a long hike or when I'm hung over. It's satisfying in approximately the way meat is but without the moral weight. I wouldn't eat too many of them but I appreciate fast food chains providing the option.

KJ

EDIT - not calling out the quoted poster; valid points but I think junk food has its place in some cases

Last edited by xnetter; 04-29-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:16 PM

Just ate a beyond burger.
Gooood as always.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:30 AM

Beyond Burger was planning an IPO as of early April. don't know if it has happened yet though.