Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
The best vegetarian burgers I've had are the ones that don't try to pretend to be meat.

Had an impossible burger at Umami burger. It was meh.
I agree. Our A&W in Canada added the Beyond burger last summer and I still haven't tried it despite having a vegan diet. I just have other options and am not always thinking about going to a burger joint. I also dislike how the base configuration includes non vegan mayo. I guess it's labelled as vegetarian though
Old 04-03-2019, 12:22 PM

again, Burger King has had a veggie burger since 2002: https://money.cnn.com/2002/03/14/new...erking_veggie/

they've just only ever offered it as 1) MorningStar Garden pattie, and 2) just a straight burger/cheeseburger, not a Whopper.

I think the new venture is just them trying to improve upon something that either isn't working, or is working well enough that they want to improve it/get more cash from it.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
again, Burger King has had a veggie burger since 2002: https://money.cnn.com/2002/03/14/new...erking_veggie/

they've just only ever offered it as 1) MorningStar Garden pattie, and 2) just a straight burger/cheeseburger, not a Whopper.

I think the new venture is just them trying to improve upon something that either isn't working, or is working well enough that they want to improve it/get more cash from it.
I don’t think I would call the Impossible Burger a veggie burger since it is made from genetically modified yeast...
Old 04-03-2019, 01:02 PM

i dont get the need for things to be like meat. are we seriously so messed up in our heads we need fake meat in this society?

the answer is "yes, we are messed up in our heads and need fake meat"

and that is just weird.

stop eating fake foods, just eat normal real foods.

im shocked how many folks have even tried this crap
Old 04-03-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Linked is a nice piece comparing and contrasting veggie protein v insect protein. Bottom line insect is complete protein and there is more of it gram per gram. What is not said is it is cheaper to make and a hell of a lot more environmentally friendly.

https://naakbar.com/blogs/articles/w...-plant-protein
"Waiter, there's a fly swimming in my fly soup!"
"That's all right, no extra charge."

Last edited by fiamme red; 04-03-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
i dont get the need for things to be like meat. are we seriously so messed up in our heads we need fake meat in this society?

and that is just weird.

Aren't you contradicting your previously comment in which you noted that this "isn't about you, it's about the planet"?

You opined along the lines that raising/slaughtering less cows are good for the planet. This satisfies that goal.

So on one hand it's a good thing for the planet but bad on the side that folks want a reasonable substitute for a hamburger?

People eat lots of fake foods. I'm shocked at what people consume. Burgers like this are better than Cheetos, Slim Jims, ect.

And just a side note, I rarely eat fast food or red meat but just the other day I bought a 2.25 lbs tomahawk ribeye. Cooked it by the reverse-sear method on the Big Green Egg. Now that's a fire! So good. Beef is what's for dinner. Then lunch. Then left-overs.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:08 PM
commuter racer

Quote:

and that is just weird.

Wow, that’s slightly intolerant. Some of us don’t want to eat Animals . Define “real foods”, what does that even mean? Is a sugar cookie real food? A butter croissant?

Last edited by shinomaster; 04-03-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:57 PM

Stoked. Been wanting to try one forever - and my burg is off the anointed list.

For me, meat eating is a habit more than a necessity. In 2019 I can get equivalent nutrition easily from non-meat sources, roughly at the same cost. It's a different experience though. That I get to exercise that habit and get fed something nutritious I'm all in.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
Wow, that’s slightly intolerant. Some of us don’t want Animals . Define “real foods”, what does that even mean? Is a sugar cookie real food? A butter croissant?
Defining “real food” and “not real food” isn’t really the point.

The point is the American diet is completely unhealthy for the planet and for our bodies so creating a “heathy” burger is a logical fallacy. Burgers are not healthy. The impossible burger is not made of vegetables so has very poor nutritional content.

I think the greater question is why are we obsessed with continuing to make “healthy” versions of something that is matter of factly unhealthy.

At what point did America turn from grains (a variety of them not just rice and bread) and products grown out of the ground and not a lab to genetically modified yeast with heem added to it to make it “bleed like meat”

I think Burger King adding the impossible burger to its menu and people freaking out is a prime example of how out of whack a lot of America’s eating habits are.

I think this conversation is a lot more productive if you stop thinking about your own individual habits (not directed at person i quoted by the way) and interactions with food and think about it from a macro perspective.

Last edited by jtakeda; 04-03-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Defining “real food” and “not real food” isn’t really the point.

The point is the American diet is completely unhealthy for the planet and for our bodies so creating a “heathy” burger is a logical fallacy. Burgers are not healthy. The impossible burger is not made of vegetables so has very poor nutritional content.

I think the greater question is why are we obsessed with continuing to make “healthy” versions of something that is matter of factly unhealthy.

At what point did America turn from grains (a variety of them not just rice and bread) and products grown out of the ground and not a lab to genetically modified yeast with heem added to it to make it “bleed like meat”

I think Burger King adding the impossible burger to its menu and people freaking out is a prime example of how out of whack a lot of America’s eating habits are.

I think this conversation is a lot more productive if you stop thinking about your own individual habits (not directed at person i quoted by the way) and interactions with food and think about it from a macro perspective.
The impossible burger reads like it is decent nutritionally. Certainly no kale, but it’s a lot better than most of those American diet treats.

But honestly I could care less I go by taste, texture, those sorts of baselines when considering a once every few months “burger”.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:

and that is just weird.

I like the taste of meat. I also don't like killing animals, so I'm a vegetarian. I find the impossible burger tastes better than any other vegetarian patties I've tried. It also tastes better than a salad. This is strictly a good thing for me.

Also, eating at a restaurant is often primarily a social, rather than culinary experience. As a vegetarian, I don't want to tell my friends "sorry, we can't go to that burger place, they don't have anything I can eat." That's a downer. It can also be a lot of work for restaurants to come up with entirely original vegetarian dishes. If they can make an otherwise identical dish, except they grab a patty from the impossible burger pile instead of the beef pile, that's easy for them and good for me. The value of the impossible burger isn't that it's "fake meat", the value is that it tastes good, easy for restaurants, and makes dining out more accessible for those who don't want to eat meat. Win-win-win all around.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:08 PM

McD's, Arby's, Wendy's, BK, Taco Bell, Dairy Queen, KFC, Chik-fil-A...

what do these have in common...?

they're all places I never patronize.

y'all can have my share of the HFCS, faux meat, pink slime, and whatever other delicacies they're offering...
Old 04-03-2019, 05:42 PM

meatless??? in canada a chain has those meatless burgers for a while already, they use like a protein whatever patty instead... heard are pretty good.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:49 PM

i am a walking contradiction, welcome to being human.

yes, a butter croissant and a weird modified yeast thing should be hard to tell from one another, which is real? pfffft.

and no, i dont think this being better for the planet firstly and still finding it odd that humans want fake food are exclusive things, i think they are actually complementary. nor do i think i am acting with intolerance. I am tolerating that folks eat these foods, I am making no effort to prevent any one person from consuming whatever they like.

And no, this is not personal toward any one person, so its not intended for anyone to take personally. I really dont care what folks eat, but i still might think your food is weird. and you might think mine is weird, you may think it odd i dont ever go into fast food joints, im fine with that. it doesnt mean we cant be friends.

These are random thoughts and musings as this is a chat room at the end of the day. ideas are not me, nor are they you, they are ideas. we could all say really obvious and socially normal things, but what fun would that be...

its fine to eat and like these things, do whatever makes you happy, thats how we roll as technologically advanced humans these days

Last edited by Mzilliox; 04-03-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
McD's, Arby's, Wendy's, BK, Taco Bell, Dairy Queen, KFC, Chik-fil-A...

what do these have in common...?

they're all places I never patronize.

y'all can have my share of the HFCS, faux meat, pink slime, and whatever other delicacies they're offering...
amen to that brother.