Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2019, 02:33 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
The Carl's Jr. version of it on the west coast (using the Beyond Meat "burger") is tasty. At least the one I tried was--the restaurant was slow that evening and everything was cooked perfect, it looked like the cook had time to prepare it just right. Even the lettuce was piled on thick and it was chilled. Fan-friggin'-tastic!

I also happen to like that particular "Beyond Burger" product and have cooked it often. Buddy of mine (who is a vegetarian) convinced me to give it a whirl, I was VERY skeptical since every veggie patty I've ever had prior tasted like a close cousin to cardboard, and I've been a fan since. Cook it just like a burger (and it can be cooked from being frozen, which takes about 10 min or so total on medium heat), add whatever sauce or spices float yer boat.

It's a once in a very blue moon event for me to eat hamburger (simply don't have the craving for it), so this kind of thing is a really compelling alternative when the craving hits.
This. We have the Beyond Meat burgers at A&W's here in Canada and they are every bit as good as beef. The environmental impact of beef goes way beyond Methane emissions. I still eat some meat but not much and not often. Hard to walk away from bacon.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:38 PM

I just don't get why even try to make something into something it is not. Sell it as a veggie sandwich, why try to make into a fake meat burger, so Soylent Green, not fooling anyone. I eat plenty of veggie sandwiches and I wouldn't want them to taste like meat sandwiches, marketing stupidity.

Last edited by m_sasso; 04-02-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
I just don't get why even try to make something into something it is not. Sell it as a veggie sandwich, why try to make into a fake meat burger, so Soylent Green, not fooling anyone. I eat plenty of veggie sandwiches and I wouldn't want them to taste like meat sandwiches, marketing stupidity.
Because people like, oh, me, will not buy a veggie burger but WILL buy something looking, feeling, smelling like meat that isn't meat. No one is being "fooled", but mouth feel, smell, and texture go a long way in whether or not something is considered "good".
Old 04-02-2019, 04:12 PM

I’ll let a generation be the beta testers for this and take a burger made from cow instead! I don’t eat at Burger King anyways...
Old 04-02-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
Knowing about your legit expertise, I'd like to hear why this is. And FWIW, I've eaten my share of insects, as a mostly vegetarian one of the more challenging lifestyle adaptations during my first months in Peace Corps/Africa was limited access to fresh produce over most months of the year. Non-animal proteins other than peanuts were pretty much non-existent, but there were caterpillars, grasshoppers and termites that were actually pretty tasty when prepared well once I got over the fear-factor thing (ie hungry enough at first, then got used to them). The bugs were certainly more appealing to me than the tough goat meat and olympic racing chickens that were the normal fare.
Linked is a nice piece comparing and contrasting veggie protein v insect protein. Bottom line insect is complete protein and there is more of it gram per gram. What is not said is it is cheaper to make and a hell of a lot more environmentally friendly.

https://naakbar.com/blogs/articles/w...-plant-protein

Last edited by joosttx; 04-02-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:14 PM

The magic is fat, and assume salt.

The white bun to match with it needs to be updated with 10 grain sour dough.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
This is less about your health and more about the planet's health. If you are concerned about your own health, dont order anything from mcdonalds.

But for folks who are gonna eat there anyway, McdonaLDS having to raise and slaughter less cows is a good thing for everyone.

again, this is not about you, its about the planet.
That's a fair point.

I just don't see BK customers factoring that in on their meal choices when they go in the door. I'm sure that there will exceptions, but for the most part fast foodies seem to be looking for quick and tasty. I'm speaking from my perspective in the midwest, where environmental consciousness is perhaps not as elevated as it is on the coasts.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
It looks like a burger, tastes like a burger, it might be a burger!

I love a gourmet homemade burger with luxurious toppings. IMO, the beyond and impossible both are satisfactory substitutes for the burger part. Wife agrees too. We haven’t had a real burger at home for over a year since discovering them.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 04-02-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:40 AM

Europe has not approved the heme in impossible burger for human consumption so these products are still off limits over here.

https://efsa.onlinelibrary.wiley.com...efsa.2010.1585

Last edited by verticaldoug; 04-03-2019 at 03:42 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:32 AM

They sold out of the Beyond Meat burger at A&W last year. I've tried it. I like it. I do wonder if it's processed to the nth degree though.

Here are the ingredients.
Water, Pea Protein, Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Natural Flavours, Rice Protein, Dried Yeast, Methylcellulose, Mung Bean Protein, Sunflower Protein, Spices, Potassium Chloride, Apple Extract, Salt, Vinegar, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Sunflower Lecithin, Vitamins And Minerals (Niacin [B3], Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [B6], Thiamine Hydrochloride [B1], Riboflavin [B2], Folic Acid [B9], Cynacobalamin [B12], Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Zinc Sulphate, Ferric Orthophosphate). May contain soy.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
so there's tasty protein in it. I can eat an entire block of raw, unseasoned tofu. but I'm pretty sure that's rare.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
They sold out of the Beyond Meat burger at A&W last year. I've tried it. I like it. I do wonder if it's processed to the nth degree though.

Here are the ingredients.
Water, Pea Protein, Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Natural Flavours, Rice Protein, Dried Yeast, Methylcellulose, Mung Bean Protein, Sunflower Protein, Spices, Potassium Chloride, Apple Extract, Salt, Vinegar, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Sunflower Lecithin, Vitamins And Minerals (Niacin [B3], Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [B6], Thiamine Hydrochloride [B1], Riboflavin [B2], Folic Acid [B9], Cynacobalamin [B12], Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Zinc Sulphate, Ferric Orthophosphate). May contain soy.
Agreed, from past experiences of deep dives into what ingredients make a food, there is a lot of room for interpretation for what, e.g. sunflower lecithin is. That may be an ingredient with unknown riders on it that are less than desirable to consume.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:17 AM
Administrator

"All the nutrition and energy you need is here young Grasshopper...look and you shall see."

W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grasshopper.jpg (74.3 KB, 72 views)
Old 04-03-2019, 10:41 AM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I guess, lotsa of chemicals in them.

$12 a pound on NPR yesterday when they tested one(and another brand, can't remember the name).

The testers said, 'not bad'..I guess not a ringing endorsement either. For no other reason, fewer cows farting methane...
Red meat is full of chemicals too; hormones, pesticides, plus it causes cancer and heart disease.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
Red meat is full of chemicals too; hormones, pesticides, plus it causes cancer and heart disease.
So are plants. I can easily argue every point but heart disease. Now imagine eating an animal like protein from soy inserted into a yeast to produce something like meat to consume. You don’t have to imagine it. You can go to Burger King and try it.