Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2019, 04:12 AM

OT: Burger King TO TEST MARKET THE IMPOSSIBLE WHOPPER

kudos to Burger King. hope it is successful and will bring down the price of impossible burgers:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/01/busin...ers/index.html
Old 04-02-2019, 04:36 AM

I wish they would also offer a lean burger, much like McDonalds did a number of years ago with 93% lean beef. They were good. But its good to see BK testing out the vegetarian burger and I also hope they are successful. It would be good to see healthier options from the larger fast food outlets.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:49 AM

This is good news in the sense that they would be offering a healthier option to markets that have little option. I've had Impossible Burgers and they are okay. I also don't recall the price, are they really that expensive?

That said, if I am after a healthier alternative i am not heading to a burger place generally, more likely to find fresh veggies at a salad bar etc. It would be nice though when in certain places to have that option, especially if you are in a group or family and not everyone agrees or has the same eating habits.

I applaud them.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:41 AM

NICE! impossible burgers are good. not a huge fast food fan but it's nice to have the option when you need it. Burger King has been doing veggie burgers for years (like, at least a decade) so I'm glad to see they've moved on to the Whopper. hopefully it makes it to more stores...
Old 04-02-2019, 06:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
This is good news in the sense that they would be offering a healthier option to markets that have little option. I've had Impossible Burgers and they are okay. I also don't recall the price, are they really that expensive?

That said, if I am after a healthier alternative i am not heading to a burger place generally, more likely to find fresh veggies at a salad bar etc. It would be nice though when in certain places to have that option, especially if you are in a group or family and not everyone agrees or has the same eating habits.

I applaud them.
I guess, lotsa of chemicals in them.

$12 a pound on NPR yesterday when they tested one(and another brand, can't remember the name).

The testers said, 'not bad'..I guess not a ringing endorsement either. For no other reason, fewer cows farting methane...
Old 04-02-2019, 08:09 AM

The Carl's Jr. version of it on the west coast (using the Beyond Meat "burger") is tasty. At least the one I tried was--the restaurant was slow that evening and everything was cooked perfect, it looked like the cook had time to prepare it just right. Even the lettuce was piled on thick and it was chilled. Fan-friggin'-tastic!

I also happen to like that particular "Beyond Burger" product and have cooked it often. Buddy of mine (who is a vegetarian) convinced me to give it a whirl, I was VERY skeptical since every veggie patty I've ever had prior tasted like a close cousin to cardboard, and I've been a fan since. Cook it just like a burger (and it can be cooked from being frozen, which takes about 10 min or so total on medium heat), add whatever sauce or spices float yer boat.

It's a once in a very blue moon event for me to eat hamburger (simply don't have the craving for it), so this kind of thing is a really compelling alternative when the craving hits.

Last edited by 54ny77; 04-02-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:36 AM

i ate one at a local restaurant

duly unimpressed. you put enough cheese and bacon and mustard and ketchup on just about anything and it will taste pretty good. i am thinking if you don't want beef once in a while then you might try a portobello shroom burger.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:42 AM

For home use... has anyone tried Beyond Meat? I've had the sausage & burger, and they are pretty good. The sausage was very good, and the burger not bad. Cooking was different for the burger (never gets "done" looking, and because it isn't very firm you can't load it up with stuff like sauces before cooking or it gets mushy). I was surprised at how tasty they both were.

Oops. I see it was mentioned above.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:59 AM

Blows my mind this stuff works....

GMO bacteria used to make soy taste like meat but not as good at a premium price.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:19 AM

Your statement is incorrect, at least as it applies to the "Beyond Burger." See below:

https://www.beyondmeat.com/faqs/

WHAT IS THE BEYOND BURGER®?

The Beyond Burger is the world’s only plant-based burger that looks, cooks, and satisfies so much like ground beef patty that it’s sold in the meat section of over 10K grocery stores in the US (and soon, the world). It is made without soy or gluten and is GMO Free. By braiding together proteins, fats and minerals, we re-create the basic architecture, and thus texture, of meat unlike any other brand or product. The Beyond Burger is not a veggie burger. It’s a delicious, juicy, meaty burger for true meat lovers. It just happens to be made from plants. Find out more here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Blows my mind this stuff works....

GMO bacteria used to make soy taste like meat but not as good at a premium price.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:21 AM

The Beyond Burger is pretty darned close. I'm on board for the non-animal stuff if it reduces the number of cows in the world. People can't seem to manage without the foods they've grown accustomed to, so let's find replacements.

Environmental damage (methane in the atmosphere, forests decimated for grazing land, holding tanks with lakes of liquid crap) and torture of animals is objectively terrible. If we can safely science our way out of that one, it would be a crime not to.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:22 AM

I bought some beyond meat burger patties at Whole Foods, and cooked them, couldn't stomach it, I actually threw up. I've wondered ever since if the ones I got were tainted in some way? I don't know...... Was super excited to try it though.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:24 AM

What does BK hope to accomplish with this?

Do they think that tens of thousands of folks that are health conscious are going to start eating there because of this soy burger? I don't see how this plays out in a good way for them. In fact, it seems that the attention they are getting for this is along the lines of ridicule. There will be some folks that think it's a good idea, but enough to make a market change? I don't see it.

Didn't McD's have some kind of healthier burger initiative years ago like this, that flopped?

BK is what they is. I say own it. It's bad-for-you, comfort food on the fly.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:28 AM

The best vegetarian burgers I've had are the ones that don't try to pretend to be meat.

Had an impossible burger at Umami burger. It was meh.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:35 AM

I was writing about the Impossible burger. I interviewed for their director of BD a while back and couldn’t get my head around the technology being acceptable. Beyond burgers are pretty good.

Excerpt from Impossible Burgers website:
HOW IT’S MADE
We started by using the heme-containing protein from the roots of soy plants. It’s called soy leghemoglobin. We took the DNA from soy plants and inserted it into a genetically engineered yeast....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Your statement is incorrect, at least as it applies to the "Beyond Burger." See below:

https://www.beyondmeat.com/faqs/

WHAT IS THE BEYOND BURGER®?

The Beyond Burger is the world’s only plant-based burger that looks, cooks, and satisfies so much like ground beef patty that it’s sold in the meat section of over 10K grocery stores in the US (and soon, the world). It is made without soy or gluten and is GMO Free. By braiding together proteins, fats and minerals, we re-create the basic architecture, and thus texture, of meat unlike any other brand or product. The Beyond Burger is not a veggie burger. It’s a delicious, juicy, meaty burger for true meat lovers. It just happens to be made from plants. Find out more here.

Last edited by joosttx; 04-02-2019 at 09:38 AM.