Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2019, 11:45 AM

Wait till the other shoe drops...

It will be interesting to see what Vittoria has to say about this...
Old 03-07-2019, 11:56 AM

This is a bummer, I loved Corsa’s for summer riding. I would guess Specialized Turbo Cotton are in same category. This is a major deal!
Old 03-07-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
It would be nice if they would simply finish the edges of their rims off. They are the only rim I've recently seen with sharp edges. Rims like Boyd, Nox, and FSE are all finished of with much higher quality.
If you think Enve rims' edges (or rims in general) are not as finished as other brands, well, that's just fake news.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:01 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
If you think Enve rims' edges (or rims in general) are not as finished as other brands, well, that's just fake news.
you do realize don't you that you are responding to one of the most experienced wheelbuilders on the forum who builds with all of these rims on a regular basis?
Old 03-07-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
you do realize don't you that you are responding to one of the most experienced wheelbuilders on the forum who builds with all of these rims on a regular basis?
I do.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:04 PM

Does this apply to Compass Extralight sidewalls as well?
Old 03-07-2019, 12:12 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Not sure if you are sarcastically agreeing with me or not. I'm positive many of wheel builders I speak to on a regular basis agree with me.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
That's what all "open tubulars" are. Vittoria, Challenge, Veloflex. Supple clinchers, usually with cotton sidewalls instead of vulcanized rubber.
I was thinking of something else.. not sure they make them anymore, I can't remember which company it was.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
The Turbo Cotton tires from Specialized are definitely not "open tubulars", you have to use a separate tube just like any other clincher.
Tubulars also use inner tubes - however in this case, the inner tube is already installed before the casing is sewn shut. Repairing a punctured tubular tire involves un-sewing the casing near puncture, pulling out that portion of the inner tube, patching the inner tube just like you'd patch any other inner tube, and then re-inserting the inner tube back into the casing and re-sewing the casing shut. This is one reason that tubulars lost popularity - they are much more of a pain to fix. Most people either end up discarding the tire, or paying to have a professional tire repairer to fix it.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Not sure if you are sarcastically agreeing with me or not. I'm positive many of wheel builders I speak to on a regular basis agree with me.
I don't buy in to the fact that, for whatever reason, Enve rims aren't up to the standards that other "quality" rims are, and to think that they make an inferior product just seems a little personal-biased. After all, Old Potatoe hates Mavic rims with a passion and has had nothing but trouble, but I'm on the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

The only "sharp edge" rim I've ever seen was a Mavic Cosmic Carbone 40c, and that was by design, and not poor manufacturing. When they moved from the CC40 rim shape to the Pro Carbon SL C shape, the sharp edge was gone.

Nothing personal, and to even think that I'll hold my own in a wheel/wheelbuilding conversation with you is absurd, but with all the "hate" on the board (SRAM hate, Mavic hate, Enve hate, Campagnolo hate, tubeless hate, seat tube clamping hate... whichever "team" you identify with), unless I actually see actual proof, it's anecdotal at best. Keep in mind that I'm no Enve fanboy nor corporate shill, nor do I take any of this personally, either.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I applaud them for their public banishment of basically all Challenge tires from their rims.
Yeah looks like Enve is scratched from the Challenge end of year party.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I don't buy in to the fact that, for whatever reason, Enve rims aren't up to the standards that other "quality" rims are, and to think that they make an inferior product just seems a little personal-biased. After all, Old Potatoe hates Mavic rims with a passion and has had nothing but trouble, but I'm on the complete opposite end of the spectrum.
A recent thread on poor Enve rim quality:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=234825

It's also no secret that the first generation of Enve carbon clinchers had trouble handling brake heat.

Just growing pains that have or will be addressed? Possibly. But there is ample past evidence of problematic Enve rims.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:51 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I was thinking of something else.. not sure they make them anymore, I can't remember which company it was.
tufo made a tire like that
Old 03-07-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
………….., but with all the "hate" on the board (SRAM hate, Mavic hate, Enve hate, Campagnolo hate, tubeless hate, seat tube clamping hate... whichever "team" you identify with), unless I actually see actual proof, ………...

Hey, you left out: disc brake hate, race organizer hate, doping hate, masters racing hate, carbon frame hate, gravel bike hate, aero bike hate, aero helmet hate, Rapha hate, Ebay hate, USPS rate hate,and,of course, Lance hate. I'm sure I missed a few dozen.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
The next generation of carbon clinchers will have it all sorted out, trust me.
I have to believe they will be "game changing"