Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckjai View Post
Inflator seems like a cool idea.
How do you check tire pressure while using the inflator? Just use a gauge after you pump a bit to check? I'd be scared to over pump.
I’ve seen inline air pressure gauges used before the presta fitting.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
have posted this before, but my Nashbar cheapo ($19) pump is now 28 yrs old, has never had any parts replaced, and still gets the tires up to 100 psi.

will. not. die.
+1

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2019, 04:40 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
I love my silca, but my neighbor and ride buddy has the ultimate solution....This ryobi cordless pump. He had to pilfer a presta connection from an old pump of his and do a little hose surgery to make it work, but he is up to 100, lbs in no time and it makes me jealous everytime.

I keep meaning to get one and need to just buy the damn thing.
I picked up one of these for topping off car tires.....takes a little time but very cool. There is a pressure gauge on back....accuracy is so-so. I usually over-inflate and then use a handheld pressure gauge.

Like you, been thinking about "hose surgery" to put a good head on it, but I have a nice Lezyne that works great.

Had a Zefal Husky for years, that I put a Silca head on. Needed to replace the rubber gasket in the head a couple times per year. Switched to the Lezyne and never looked back. Much better head design.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:31 PM

I still think the SKS Airmenius is now the king of pumps for presta use.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:31 PM

I love my SKS Rennkompressor that I got last year. The build quality is fantastic and the cork handles on mine really set it off. I could hang it as wall art.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I picked up one of these for topping off car tires.....takes a little time but very cool. There is a pressure gauge on back....accuracy is so-so. I usually over-inflate and then use a handheld pressure gauge.

Like you, been thinking about "hose surgery" to put a good head on it, but I have a nice Lezyne that works great.

Had a Zefal Husky for years, that I put a Silca head on. Needed to replace the rubber gasket in the head a couple times per year. Switched to the Lezyne and never looked back. Much better head design.
I excuse the thread drift here, but who makes the best presta head?
Old 04-24-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
I excuse the thread drift here, but who makes the best presta head?
I believe Tanaka is the leader in heads. Although Hirame makes a head almost identical. But I love the presta head on my Airmenius.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
I believe Tanaka is the leader in heads. Although Hirame makes a head almost identical. But I love the presta head on my Airmenius.
I’ve owned the Hirame head, and I find the Silca Hiro head to work better. It’s very similar in design, but seems to lock onto the valve-stem and seal better.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:45 PM

I have an older Silca from about 2002-2004 and it was alright and did what a pump should do but I always had some trouble with the chuck head. I have even pulled off valve stems a couple times trying to remove the chuck head.

All that changed when I installed a Silca Hiro head. The pump was transformed into the perfect pump. Works easily and efficiently. Last year I bought a rebuild kit and it is even better...although it is not pretty. It is scratched a bit because I just toss it my travel bag with all my other gear when I do trips like Ride the Rockies.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by CSKeller; 04-25-2019 at 10:09 AM. Reason: fixed auto-correct issues
Old 10-06-2022, 04:42 PM

I have used many pumps and truthfully they all work about the same...but there is a difference.

Like, for example the difference between a well made luxury automobile and a cheap econobox. They will both serve their purpose.

The Silca Pista Plus is a dream. A lot of folks think that they "have" to be rebuilt, more likely they are able to be rebuilt if needed. Anyone have to service their Rolex? This pump looks and works like a finely crafted watch. It's not cheap. Oozes with quality that you will notice with every use.

I too put a Silca Hiro side lever chuck on my Pista Plus for the ultimate in tire inflation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220307_075443.jpg (77.5 KB, 150 views)

2019 Specialized Tarmac SL6

Last edited by crcycle; 10-06-2022 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 10-06-2022, 05:33 PM

Holy Trinity

Three original (Italian) Silca Pista pumps. I have had the blue one since I was 15. The other two I inherited from cycling friends who aged out of the sport. Over the years they have gotten a few leather plungers, a hose or two, and a few chuck gaskets. The repairs take 5-10 minutes and the pump goes right back to work. The blue one has travelled to hundreds of races and God knows how many other rides. It has been “borrowed” at these events hundreds of times as well to pinch hit for the non - functioning pumps belonging to theirs. If I charged $1 each time it was borrowed, I would have quite a stash. I really have never had the need to think about procuring a new pump and which one…(also shown, a future-proofing stash of parts)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 185DE5D8-2AB0-4476-9B06-535C83BD1291.jpeg (37.8 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpeg 4E916501-7C1B-4921-ABED-B0DC9E9BE1EA.jpeg (32.3 KB, 141 views)
Old 10-07-2022, 01:00 PM

I've had a Silca Pista for 30 years. I rebuilt it about a year ago and when I ordered the parts from Silca I bought another one, not the plus, to keep at my office and just in case my old one could not be repaired. It's back 100% and works perfectly again and I have another back up pump for countless years.

Silca is a lifetime purchase. Yeah they are expensive but it's literally the only pump I have used in 30 years. The new one seems to be just as good quality as the old. I guess the only question is how long will the company stay around for? I personally am glad it was resurrected.

Old 10-07-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
Three original (Italian) Silca Pista pumps. I have had the blue one since I was 15. The other two I inherited from cycling friends who aged out of the sport. Over the years they have gotten a few leather plungers, a hose or two, and a few chuck gaskets. The repairs take 5-10 minutes and the pump goes right back to work. The blue one has travelled to hundreds of races and God knows how many other rides. It has been “borrowed” at these events hundreds of times as well to pinch hit for the non - functioning pumps belonging to theirs. If I charged $1 each time it was borrowed, I would have quite a stash. I really have never had the need to think about procuring a new pump and which one…(also shown, a future-proofing stash of parts)
Mine too, traveled to countless races and events and in fact on the occasion I forgot it and had to borrow someone else's pump I always marveled at how unnecessarily difficult they were to use as compared to the simple Silca chuck.
Old 10-07-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Mine too, traveled to countless races and events and in fact on the occasion I forgot it and had to borrow someone else's pump I always marveled at how unnecessarily difficult they were to use as compared to the simple Silca chuck.
I bought and returned the Silca pump probably 10 years ago, couldn't keep the chuck from firing off when it hit 70-80 psi. What's the secret formula?
Old 10-07-2022, 01:21 PM

I have a bontrager floor pump with a charger canister. Zero issues over 3 years, but in case anything happens, I'm confident that trek will replace it free no questions asked.

Over the summer I also picked up a makita inflator and have been pretty happy with it. Smallest 2.5 battery lasts forever and it takes about 20 seconds to inflate 0 to 75 psi.