Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2024, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Bikes are still pretty cheap...

Every day I get the Bring a Trailer daily mail and marvel at just how many people play in the $500k+ car sandbox.

Man, does this V12 Lambo look like fun. The sounds it makes are quite wonderful.

Alright, enough daydreaming on a Monday morning. Back to work.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ign=2024-04-01

Old 04-01-2024, 08:48 AM
Meh

Fun fact, cars are deemed “wasting assets” under UK tax law and thus exempt from capital gains tax on sale.

Since hypercars like that one tend to appreciate in value as collectors items, the gaping tax loophole has led to a boom in the hypercar market in the UK. Some collectors have dozens of them.
Old 04-01-2024, 08:55 AM

a car photographer I follow posted a $300,000 E30 M3 the other day.... I am basically penny pinching over here with all these carbon bike parts
Old 04-01-2024, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
Fun fact, cars are deemed “wasting assets” under UK tax law and thus exempt from capital gains tax on sale.

Since hypercars like that one tend to appreciate in value as collectors items, the gaping tax loophole has led to a boom in the hypercar market in the UK. Some collectors have dozens of them.
I saw a post somewhere recently highlighting some classified ads from an English car magazine from the early-ish 2000s. Selling minty condition, sub 15k miles 959s for 20 grand and below
Old 04-01-2024, 09:13 AM
what's a little rust?

Read a review of the classic Countach that said it was one of the most uncomfortable driving experiences possible. Makes spending $3-13k to ride in comfort feel a little smarter …
Old 04-01-2024, 09:30 AM

Motortrend just had a 75th anniversary episode and they included the Countach in the top 10 most important cars of their first 75 years.

But they out and out said it was a bad car and nowhere near as fast as any of us ever thought it was.

But it still made the list because it was so influential and outrageous and they don't think the entire ridiculous wave of supercars/hypercars would have happened if Lamborghini hadn't made the Countach. The Countach was like permission to make ridiculous/outrageous super cars.
Old 04-01-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post

Different category of cars, and gently off-topic from OP, but like you illuded to, the right car(s) can be an investment. My son and his best friend have so far paid for their first 2 yrs of college from buying and selling classic cars. Not so sure you could do that with the bikes in our cycling hobby.

Old 04-01-2024, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBaron View Post
. My son and his best friend have so far paid for their first 2 yrs of college from buying and selling classic cars.
Wow, that's spectacular - good for them!

I've really got the project car itch myself lately. Just need that correct barn find to come across my radar!
Old 04-01-2024, 10:00 AM

Made a wrong turn after my kids basketball game in an industrial park and accidentally stumbled upon the biggest seller/broker on BAT.

THat was a fun day

Old 04-01-2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Made a wrong turn after my kids basketball game in an industrial park and accidentally stumbled upon the biggest seller/broker on BAT.

THat was a fun day
What a great way to spend the day!

We had something like that happen to us at the Hot Rod Tour of TX last year while out in my Fox Coupe. A terrible hail storm popped up and a group of us headed to a warehouse area for cover. One of the guys had a contact at a classic car seller in that area and we ducked for cover in their warehouse. Was the best way possible to wait out the storm with a private viewing of a hundred+ cars!

Old 04-01-2024, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Different category of cars, and gently off-topic from OP, but like you illuded to, the right car(s) can be an investment. My son and his best friend have so far paid for their first 2 yrs of college from buying and selling classic cars. Not so sure you could do that with the bikes in our cycling hobby.

That's awesome! I paid for a good portion my undergrad and grad school doing the same thing. By the way, I love the pics of the two Galaxies - especially the '63! Is that the Georgetown square in those pics?

Texbike
Old 04-01-2024, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Cool. Back in the day, a group of us all chipped in a total of $20 to buy a black Galaxy500 convertible with a red interior (yup, just like the picture) so we could run it in an amateur demolition derby. Great fun, but not as financially rewarding as what these guys are doing.
Old 04-01-2024, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
Read a review of the classic Countach that said it was one of the most uncomfortable driving experiences possible. Makes spending $3-13k to ride in comfort feel a little smarter …
Literally a work out to drive, awful torture rack of a vehicle to drive.
Old 04-01-2024, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post

THat was a fun day

A 914, a GT3RS and a '71 Boss Mustang (along with the rest) in the same 20 ft. space, much less in the same building is a slice of heaven. That warehouse is where divorces are made. The death of car culture has been greatly exaggerated. Thankfully.
Old 04-01-2024, 02:47 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerat View Post
Literally a work out to drive, awful torture rack of a vehicle to drive.
I briefly sat in one, on a car lot near Rodeo Drive, when I was 15. I probably would've lied and said visibility and comfort were just fine if someone had offered it to me.