Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2024, 09:05 PM

Campy Super Record Wireless Feedback?

All: Looking for any feedback from anyone who has this groupset?

Review feedback seems to love it, but be negative on the pricing.

Currently ride a gravel/all-road with 12-speed Chorus. Looking to make the jump to hydraulics and e-shifting.

What I really like (or what I think I like) is that the SR Wireless system has really wide gearing available. Getting close to my late-50's and like the options for climbing hills.

Appreciate any feedback.

Many thanks.
Old 07-04-2024, 09:32 PM

As with everything fancy and expensive, h8rs abound.. Campy doesn’t make junk. If you’ve got the urge and you’ve got the funds, give it a try!
Old 07-05-2024, 03:29 AM

Set up an account on Weight Weenies and have a look at this thread:

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...ord+real+world
Old 07-05-2024, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacrider View Post

Currently ride a gravel/all-road with 12-speed Chorus. Looking to make the jump to hydraulics and e-shifting.

What I really like (or what I think I like) is that the SR Wireless system has really wide gearing available. Getting close to my late-50's and like the options for climbing hills.

Appreciate any feedback.

Many thanks.
Honestly, don't pass up on EKAR. It is amazing. Most all issues that I have seen, especially on this site, are from user error. And with GT, you can have really wide gearing.
Old 07-05-2024, 07:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Appreciate any feedback.

Many thanks.
Gee, Rolex and Audi are expensive too. Otherwise buy a seiko or Toyota.

Talked to 2 people that have it and it's nothing less than amazing. Far more 'premium than Red or DA(which STILL isn't wireless)...The shifting action is accurate and lightening fast but the brakes make both other seem cheap and flimsy in comparison.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 07-07-2024 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-05-2024, 07:39 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

BdaGhisallo - thanks, that weight weenies discussion is good.

vespasianus - Ekar is a consideration, but not sure I'm ready to go 1X yet. What is GT for wide gearing?
Old 07-05-2024, 08:01 AM

I think you should purchase it because regret will incessantly needle you if you don't.

There is though, some irony in the arc of Campag's historical technological evolution. In the formative years, the hallmark of Campag's raison d'etre was that it provided equipment that was reliable, durable and functional (enough), and that it could carry anyone with ambition across the finish line on any road and in any weathers. And it did. Always. A tire puncture was the most devastating mechanical a cyclist could endure at that time. Campag equipment was so reliable that it caused one to pause if he was contemplating the thought of hanging a competitors groupo on his machine. When Shimano was beginning to elbow its way to the dinner table, we all thought the parts would be ground to dust if we dared to run them through an event like the Tour or Paris Roubaix.

We were scared straight.

Times have changed (devolved?). We now routinely tolerate equipment that is downright fussy. Witness how many mechanicals occur during a professional cycling event. They are now so routine that we have been conditioned to accept them. Witness how many threads on Paceline that are dedicated to problem-solve fussy equipment. Again, they have become so routine that we just accept that this is the way things are when we purchase uber-expensive cycling kit. Mon dieu.

I understand that not everyone reading this has the perspective that reaches back to the moment when I began competitive cycling. Make no mistake, I am an old man spitting into the wind. But good lord, let's hold these cycling widget manufactures to some accountability. We don't need **** that can send us to the moon, we need **** that will bring us home.

Last edited by merckx; 07-05-2024 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-05-2024, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Gee, Rolex and Audi are expensive too. Otherwise buy a seiko or Toyota.

Talked to 2 people that have it and it nothing less than amazing. Far more 'premium than Red or DA(which STILL isn't wireless)...The shifting action is accurate and lightening fast but the brakes make both other seem cheap and flimsy in comparison.
Your car analogy is funny! I had Audi's and lost my mind with how unreliable they were and then expensive to maintain. I am a super happy Toyota Highlander owner now.

Your comments regarding SR Wireless mirror what I have heard. Many thanks.
Old 07-05-2024, 09:59 AM

I consider myself a long time Campagnolo fan, but I've wondered if the primary impact of WRL will be making the new Sram Red seem reasonably priced.

Old 07-05-2024, 01:36 PM
#RYFB

Not exactly OT, but a tangent.

For my Bixxis, I wanted to use the SR WRL 45/29 crankset paired with Record 12 and an 11-34 cassette, since that would yield sufficiently low gears for even steep gravel climbs but still offer closer ratios on the road, all at the expense of top end. I opted instead for Ekar since Campy said these things weren't compatible (officially) and I didn't want to be the guinea pig even though I felt confident they would work together well.

Subsequently, because he was the only one I knew who had the raw materials, I asked Ryun if he'd be willing to test it out for me. He kindly said yes and reported a bit later that, at least on the stand, everything worked smoothly. I am pretty sure that he tested using R12 mechanical with rim brake, but I suspect the answer is the same with disc/hydraulic.

Just another setup to consider. FWIW, I'm very happy with Ekar so far. (Edit: initially planned 40t with 10-44 but went with 38t with 9-42 to get greater range.)

Last edited by cgolvin; 07-05-2024 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-05-2024, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

BdaGhisallo - thanks, that weight weenies discussion is good.

vespasianus - Ekar is a consideration, but not sure I'm ready to go 1X yet. What is GT for wide gearing?
I hear you. When I got my gravel bike, it was supposed to have 2x Chorus - but the bike shop gave me the option of EKAR and if I did not like it, could get the Chorus.

Shocked how much I liked it and how well it works.

The lowest range from the original EKAR was a 38T front ring with a 10-46 cassette.

EKAR GT, has the option of a 36T front ring and a 10-48 cassette.
Old 07-08-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
I hear you. When I got my gravel bike, it was supposed to have 2x Chorus - but the bike shop gave me the option of EKAR and if I did not like it, could get the Chorus.

Shocked how much I liked it and how well it works.

The lowest range from the original EKAR was a 38T front ring with a 10-46 cassette.

EKAR GT, has the option of a 36T front ring and a 10-48 cassette.
My wife and I had the same decision to make: when we had these gravel bikes built, we were planning on 2x Chorus but Campy was just announcing Ekar. We stuck with Chorus (48/32 with the 11-34 cassettes). Have ridden these bikes all over the place - home (Canada), Europe, US (Unbound, etc) and packing them up now to go to the Rift in Iceland. We also have similar road bikes - Chorus 12 speed.

Hoping to swap to SR Wireless and build bikes that can do everything. Gravel wheels and road wheels and only have one bike.

These are custom steel bikes. We are currently on rim brakes. Project will require new forks and new rear dropouts and likely chain stays. Also new wheels.

Again, I keep coming back to SR Wireless over DA Di2 for the gearing options that are available as we try to have one bike for all riding.
Old 07-08-2024, 01:14 PM

Quote:
My wife and I had the same decision to make: when we had these gravel bikes built, we were planning on 2x Chorus but Campy was just announcing Ekar. We stuck with Chorus (48/32 with the 11-34 cassettes). Have ridden these bikes all over the place - home (Canada), Europe, US (Unbound, etc) and packing them up now to go to the Rift in Iceland. We also have similar road bikes - Chorus 12 speed.

Hoping to swap to SR Wireless and build bikes that can do everything. Gravel wheels and road wheels and only have one bike.

These are custom steel bikes. We are currently on rim brakes. Project will require new forks and new rear dropouts and likely chain stays. Also new wheels.

Again, I keep coming back to SR Wireless over DA Di2 for the gearing options that are available as we try to have one bike for all riding.
Sounds fun, traveling and riding.

You really thinking of converting all that, why not just get new bikes?

Curious
Old 07-08-2024, 01:57 PM

The WRL is supposedly the fastest shifting available, period, say my wealthy friends who use that and various other electronic drivetrains. I've never run an electronic drivetrain, but if an Ekar WRL came out I'd probably order it same day. It would be fun to go 'full cutting edge' on one bike at least.
Old 07-08-2024, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Sounds fun, traveling and riding.

You really thinking of converting all that, why not just get new bikes?

Curious
We like the bikes in terms of fit. Converting is cheaper. I really don't want more bikes - more maintenance. I have downstream use for the Chorus groupsets - our daughter and a nephew could be upgraded. These bikes have over 15K on them and converting them means we'll put way more on them.