Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2023, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
I have not had a bit of trouble, luckily, with any of my Shimano cranksets, Dura Ace or Ultegra, after many thousands of miles.
An 8000 I got from you was on the list. I dropped it at the LBS but it still looked new. I expect to get it back once they complete their due diligence for Shimano. The 6800 I bought in 2017 looks a little shady around the bonded section.
Old 11-28-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunder View Post
Posting my own update on this. Now that the cold has set in I took my and my wife's road bikes into the LBS a week ago for inspection. Both have Ultegra 8000 cranksets old enough to be in this lot.

Her cranks checked out okay in the shop (limited mileage).

The crankset on my Cervelo R3 that have ~12,000 miles of all weather riding on them were showing signs of preliminary delamination on the driveside. They noted the non drive arm (with a Stages power meter installed) looked to be okay.

So I expect I will be getting at least half a new crank for my Cervelo. No word yet on timetable.
Followup. Cervelo R3 was returned to me today with a new crankset. HOWEVER, the Stages Power meter on the NDS (which passed inspection) got lost in the process. It appears it was sent to Shimano as part of the warranty. In theory I should be getting a check from Shimano as a rebate on this but it was the first time the LBS has encountered this variation. They are contacting Shimano on my behalf to run this down.

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/o...call-analysis/

Per this I should be getting $300 or so back from Shimano "Riders will then be issued with a rebate of $300 to $325 ($400 to $430 CAD) for single-sided power meters. Dual-sided power meter owners will receive a rebate of $500 ($650 CAD). Details are to be announced for the UK and other territories." That will roughly cover a new stages at Black Friday pricing.

Cosmetically I believe the new Ultegra cranks are R8100 but with 11 speed rings? Trying to decide between that vs an R7000 power meter crank arm (probably 20-40g heavier and slight cosmetic mismatch but bulletproof and $100 cheaper).
Old 12-11-2023, 06:18 PM

Fyi for folks who have gotten their PM checks , stages is running a sale right now. It’s 20% off so if you have your check that discount should cover the tax (shimano doesn’t cover).

Anyone receive a check yet?
Old 12-11-2023, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunder View Post
-snip-
Cosmetically I believe the new Ultegra cranks are R8100 but with 11 speed rings? Trying to decide between that vs an R7000 power meter crank arm (probably 20-40g heavier and slight cosmetic mismatch but bulletproof and $100 cheaper).
Regardless of the NDS arm's integrity, the LBS was required to send it in with the DS arm when they failed it.

Other than the downtime, why not use your credit to send the new NDS arm you received in for a factory install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordvsick View Post
Fyi for folks who have gotten their PM checks , stages is running a sale right now. It’s 20% off so if you have your check that discount should cover the tax (shimano doesn’t cover).

Anyone receive a check yet?
Like the rest of this process, I can assure you that Shimano is likely lagging. I'm still waiting on the dealer rebate I should receive for the inspections I conducted the month prior to inspecting yours!

Sending wishes for speedy bureaucracy!
Old 12-11-2023, 07:41 PM

I've "inspected" around 20 or so thus far and they've all failed. No pushback from shimano

Those 12 minutes of videos made all the difference
Old 12-11-2023, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
I've "inspected" around 20 or so thus far and they've all failed. No pushback from shimano

Those 12 minutes of videos made all the difference
And herein lies the problem with this “recall”: I asked at my LBS and they reported no inspection failures. Depending on your LBS’s risk tolerance, you may or may not get a new crankset. I hope the class action lawsuit and/or the CPSC force Shimano to replace ALL cranks in the affected serial number ranges.

Greg
Old 12-11-2023, 08:14 PM

The LBS still has my 8000 and 6800 cranksets. I called the shop on Thursday afternoon and they're still finishing up the training to inspect. The mechanic said he thought they looked okay, but still had more work to do. The 8000 doesn't have that many miles and all of them have been in dry Southwest. The 6800 has seen many dozens of gravel races and training rides, some in epic weather. I'll be surprised if I get it back.

I had honestly forgotten about the cranksets until we packed for a trip to PHX. I normally take the Lynskey on weekend trips to Scottsdale, but when I pulled it down to check it out, no crankset. I took the Open.
Old 12-11-2023, 09:03 PM

Wow...it's 12 minutes of videos to be trained. Turn around is less than 2 weeks at the moment. Entry into the Shimano site takes like a minute or 2

A little on the slack side IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
The LBS still has my 8000 and 6800 cranksets. I called the shop on Thursday afternoon and they're still finishing up the training to inspect. The mechanic said he thought they looked okay, but still had more work to do. The 8000 doesn't have that many miles and all of them have been in dry Southwest. The 6800 has seen many dozens of gravel races and training rides, some in epic weather. I'll be surprised if I get it back.

I had honestly forgotten about the cranksets until we packed for a trip to PHX. I normally take the Lynskey on weekend trips to Scottsdale, but when I pulled it down to check it out, no crankset. I took the Open.
Old 12-12-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRietz View Post
Regardless of the NDS arm's integrity, the LBS was required to send it in with the DS arm when they failed it.

Other than the downtime, why not use your credit to send the new NDS arm you received in for a factory install?

Like the rest of this process, I can assure you that Shimano is likely lagging. I'm still waiting on the dealer rebate I should receive for the inspections I conducted the month prior to inspecting yours!

Sending wishes for speedy bureaucracy!
Required to send in the NDS is likely correct although the mechanics at the LBS were confused by this part of the process. They still are waiting to hear back from Shimano on a payment for the missing power meter.

I went ahead and ordered a 7000 Stages PM during the Black Friday sale but have not yet installed it. Price was still less than factory install, weight difference is minimal, 7000 cranks are not affected by this issue, I'm not concerned by the cosmetic difference, and if I decide to sell this bike in a couple years I could let it go with a full matching crank and still have the power meter.
Old 12-12-2023, 09:59 AM

I got my check about six weeks after my new crank. You’ll know it’s happening because the shop forwards you an email from Shimano which requires you to verify mailing info. Then Shimano sends you an email that it’s been processed. Then you get a check in the mail and have to buy the shop some beer (optional, but hey it’s Christmas).

You definitely have to send the non drive side in. That’s what failed for me. Grab the chainrings before sending if they are in good shape.
Old 12-12-2023, 10:26 AM

Hey folks looking for opinions here, I have 2 D/A 9000 cranks that fall in the recall. Took them to a shop for the inspection, they looked at them and called it good.

Looked at them like visually while i was satd ofn there in the register counter. I was expecting removing chainrings and doing a bit of deep dive.

Said they would register them somewhere with Shimano and handed them back. Does this sound like the process?
Old 12-12-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvivr6 View Post
Hey folks looking for opinions here, I have 2 D/A 9000 cranks that fall in the recall. Took them to a shop for the inspection, they looked at them and called it good.

Looked at them like visually while i was satd ofn there in the register counter. I was expecting removing chainrings and doing a bit of deep dive.

Said they would register them somewhere with Shimano and handed them back. Does this sound like the process?
That sounds insufficient. My shop removed the chainrings to do the inspection, the visible delamination wouldn't have been visible with the chainrings on.
Old 12-12-2023, 10:48 AM

Man, I'll tell ya, not a problem one with mine, after thousands of miles. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones?
Old 12-12-2023, 10:57 AM

They should've at least removed the rings and wiped it down with diluted dawn. Taken a picture and logged it with the serial number. If they did none of this...it wasn't inspected

Now, I will get on my high horse. There is absolutely no effing way that a 9000 crank should ever be returned to the customer after an inspection. Both arms are hollow and glued together and the 9200 you would get back no longer has a hollow LH crank arm. It fails by default

Sounds like a couple of you guys are going to shops that are either exceptionally lazy or full of hard-core libertarians. Sending back as a fail is an easy $75 and goes a long way to create good will with a customer. Personally, I have no desire to send customers back into the wild with a dodgy crank that may or may not break and knock their teeth out and have it boomerang back to me in some way at a later date. Nor do I want to have explain to a customer that my best shop rat inspected that thing and he said it's all good

If I were you I would never ride that 9000 crank again and I would find another shop to at least attempt to follow the process. My opinion is they all fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvivr6 View Post

Old 12-12-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
Man, I'll tell ya, not a problem one with mine, after thousands of miles. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones?
Most Shimano cranks have been fine. The failure rate is high enough for them to issue a recall, but among all the cranks that are out there, most are still going strong.