Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2022, 08:16 AM

I don't have problem with people smoking weed, or the business of selling weed but I can't deal with the smell. It always reminded me of the smell of skunks....
Old 05-17-2022, 09:20 AM

Two things I wish were done differently when Oregon legalized, make everyone reapply for medical cards and not allow candy like edibles. In OR, medical users get taxed at a much lower rate and most of those card holders have questionable needs. And the gummies is just a parental desire. Other than that, it's just another tax base and doesn't bother me.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 05-17-2022, 09:21 AM

As I understand it is similar in Arizona. One can get a medical card with nothing but a little cash to save in the long run.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
As I understand it is similar in Arizona. One can get a medical card with nothing but a little cash to save in the long run.
As I understand it from friends with medical cards, it is a low bar, but you have to show some medical history. Then there is a fee, again, if I recall correctly, of $450.

As a matter of full disclosure, I have been a mediator or arbitrator in a number of cannabis cases. One of my sons who is a molecular biologist recently took a job running a testing lab. It's been fasinating watching this industry evolve.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
As I understand it from friends with medical cards, it is a low bar, but you have to show some medical history. Then there is a fee, again, if I recall correctly, of $450.

As a matter of full disclosure, I have been a mediator or arbitrator in a number of cannabis cases. One of my sons who is a molecular biologist recently took a job running a testing lab. It's been fasinating watching this industry evolve.
It’s 150 for the card for most aside from EBT/SNAP ppl, and the only anecdotal evidence I have is a colleague got it by saying she rode horses for years and her back hurts. No medical past history or records.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
It’s 150 for the card for most aside from EBT/SNAP ppl, and the only anecdotal evidence I have is a colleague got it by saying she rode horses for years and her back hurts. No medical past history or records.
Thanks for the clarification. Yes, it is a low bar. I wonder if the medical distinction will be as relevant in the future. With prices falling, you can buy a lot of cannabis for $150. There will probably still be some savings.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:54 AM

I don’t know the tax differences of medical vs recreational here, but do know with medical you can buy much stronger products and don’t have the 100mg cap like it seems most products do that are edible, at least.

So once you become tolerant from chronic abuse at the recreational level at least there is a temporary pathway to being high again
Old 05-17-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
As I understand it from friends with medical cards, it is a low bar, but you have to show some medical history.
My experience with the "card" is similar to Likes2ridefar. A younger coworker at my last company I worked for walked in and showed a scar from a tib/fib surgery he had 10 years ago and told them, "it hurts" and he got his card.

Which brings me to my last point: I feel younger generations treat weed much differently than my generation did growing up. Not to sound ancient or anything (I'm 45) but growing up if one of my friends had some it would be saved for the weekend and we'd light up and have fun but never during the week.

I feel like today there is a much more blase attitude and I know a lot more people, younger people, who think it's ok or normal to smoke every single day. My brother in law is 32 and still smokes every single day and at family events: my kids 8th birthday-high, Easter-high, Thanksgiving dinner-high.....my daughters Spring recital-high.

Again, I don't give a sh*t, to each their own and I don't want to sound hypocritical because I still partake maybe a few times a year (camping, meeting up with old buddies, skiing) but I still treat it with a healthy amount of respect which I don't think exists or is as prevalent anymore because "hey it's legal".

Just my observation.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:54 AM

^ I know plenty of people who drink alcohol every day and and don't think twice about it

Not sure why weed is demonized while alcohol is fine with so many people
Old 05-17-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallizes View Post
^ I know plenty of people who drink alcohol every day and and don't think twice about it

Not sure why weed is demonized while alcohol is fine with so many people
Let me clarify.

If it's the end of the day and you want to light up and relax and stare at the wall (famous Rick Steve's quote) then by all means.

But if you feel you need to smoke to get through the day, every day and are just walking around blazed (same goes for alcohol) then yes, I see that as an issue.

I'm not 'demonizing' anything.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:09 AM

Let me clarify. I did not mean to suggest you specifically were demonizing anything.

But many people have zero issue with drinking booze but have plenty of issues with weed.

It makes no sense to me.

Then of course most people are not very smart.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakatel_Luum View Post
Had a friend who couldn't start or finish the day without getting stoned.

God bless America...
One of my roommates in college was like that. The very first thing he did when he woke up was hit the bong. I made the mistake once of 'wake and bake' with him and felt like a mental patient the rest of the day. He on the other hand was fully functional computer sci major and incredible smart dude. He just smoked weed all day. I never could understand that.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
One of my roommates in college was like that. The very first thing he did when he woke up was hit the bong. I made the mistake once of 'wake and bake' with him and felt like a mental patient the rest of the day. He on the other hand was fully functional computer sci major and incredible smart dude. He just smoked weed all day. I never could understand that.
I knew that same guy, but he was a structural engineer from UCSD.
Wake, bake, surf, class, bake, study
repeat.

IMO, legalizing weed in Oregon didn't really do that much.
More normalized it, kind of like no one blinks if someone has a beer at the end of the day.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWL2222 View Post
I'm curious to know.

Here in Virginia it's coming. I am wondering how it changes things. As a father of two, I don't love the whole CBD marketing hooey that is the lead-up to full legalization. I don't love the head shops all around, and hard core dope industry people moving to town and claiming to be local. I don't love the whole argument of compensating black dealers with the license to sell it legally. I have to say I have no love either for the idea of a purely cash-based industry that is not part of the banking system and for which there's no real barrier to entry. How have things changed in your town since weed was legalized?
I believe your mind was made-up way before you posted
Old 05-18-2022, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Indeed, it was just invented.

Ah that which I get is more potent than Ive seen in Mass dispensaries. Aint new.