Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2021, 08:55 AM

Will a medium cage Force 22 RD work with 36T cassette

Some available information says no, and that I'll need a long cage. Other sources say yes - that it will work. My cranks are 32/48. I also have a wolf tooth roadlink I can throw on there...

Anyway if you have any experience or opinions I would appreciate it...
Old 01-11-2021, 09:03 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

11-32 no problem on a road bike without road link.
I've seen people run 11-36 without a road link but it really depends on the hangar.
11-36 with road link on a wifli seems reasonable, but cannot commit.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:56 AM

I am running a force 22 with an 11-36 and it works no problem. No road link needed. It may be frame dependent, but it works on my Warbird. I am also using an 11-36 with a Potenza mid cage without any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2021, 10:55 AM

I use a 10-36 with my Force AXS RD. A longer B screw was needed but there was enough wrap capacity.

If you're switching from a 32 to a 36, 1 inch more chain length will be needed.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I am running a force 22 with an 11-36 and it works no problem. No road link needed. It may be frame dependent, but it works on my Warbird.
You're running 1x so that's a very different experience. The issue is usually with the capacity of the rear derailleur. Also, I've wondered for a while, why the non clutched Force derailleur on the Warbird?

11-36 might be pushing it with a 16t difference up front. 11-34 from Shimano is definitely reasonable if you want to give that a shot (though you should look at the gear jumps on the 11-34, very different than comparable cassettes).

If you've already got a road link give it a shot (try without one first). I think the road link degrades shifting performance really considerably and would not run one, but if you already have it why not give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I use a 10-36 with my Force AXS RD. A longer B screw was needed but there was enough wrap capacity.
AXS has almost nothing in common with the old Force 22 unfortunately.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:22 PM

This Speedvagen was set up with Rival 22 WiFli (same derailleur geometry), no RoadLink, 11-36 cassette, and compact rings. Probably didn't take up all the chain in small ring and the 11/12 cogs, but there's no reason to run those combos anyway.

Old 01-11-2021, 01:28 PM

Will a medium cage Force 22 RD work with 36T cassette

[QUOTE=joevers;2862139]You're running 1x so that's a very different experience. The issue is usually with the capacity of the rear derailleur. Also, I've wondered for a while, why the non clutched Force derailleur on the Warbird?

11-36 might be pushing it with a 16t difference up front. 11-34 from Shimano is definitely reasonable if you want to give that a shot (though you should look at the gear jumps on the 11-34, very different than comparable cassettes).

I am running an 11-36 with Potenza which looks to have a shorter cage than the force 22 with a 52-36 and no issues. Not exactly the same, but it works.

I am running a non clutched Derailleur because it was available at the time I was building the Warbird up. I have a Force 1, but honestly haven’t needed it as the Force 22 works fine and I am not experiencing any excessive chain slap or other issues associated with using a non clutched derailleur. I read on the internet that even Sram has changed their original designation of 32t being the largest cog to a 36t on the Force series RD.

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 01-11-2021 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I am running a non clutched Derailleur because it was available at the time I was building the Warbird up. I have a Force 1, but honestly haven’t needed it as the Force 22 works fine and I am not experiencing any excessive chain slap or other issues associated with using a non clutched derailleur. I read on the internet that even Sram has changed their original designation of 32t being the largest cog to a 36t on the Force series RD.
Yeah that makes sense.

That's interesting, I've definitely got customers running 11-36 with wifli derailleurs but it just doesn't seem ideal to me. I think the Sram derailleurs run really poorly when they're stretched that much, just lots of friction and feels bad. I wonder if the Force wifli RD is at all different than the Red wifli ones.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
Yeah that makes sense.

That's interesting, I've definitely got customers running 11-36 with wifli derailleurs but it just doesn't seem ideal to me. I think the Sram derailleurs run really poorly when they're stretched that much, just lots of friction and feels bad. I wonder if the Force wifli RD is at all different than the Red wifli ones.

Not sure if it is the same as red or not? It has a pretty long cage and doesn’t seem to be an issue on the Warbird at least. I am not sure I’d want this combo if I was racing, but for everyday use it does seem to work fine so far. I have a 9-34 on it right now and it does seem a split second faster to shift into the 34 as opposed to the 11-36, but not drastically so.

Old 01-11-2021, 02:22 PM

I understand using what you've got, but I've always viewed the Roadlink as a poor substitution for the proper derailleur. If it works well for someone, great. But there are plenty of situations where people find it's just not working that well.

There is the plug-and-play option of using a SRAM MTB of or around the 9s/10s era that uses Exact Actuation (XX, X7, X9, GX etc).

That Speedvagen setup is perhaps something I've pushed before, but that RD is crying hard should one make the mistake and not realize they've shifted into big/big after a long day in the saddle on that last climb before home.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 01-11-2021 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I understand using what you've got, but I've always viewed the Roadlink as a poor substitution for the proper derailleur. If it works well for someone, great. But there are plenty of situations where people find it's just not working that well.

There is the plug-and-play option of using a SRAM MTB of or around the 9s/10s era that uses Exact Actuation (XX, X7, X9, GX etc)
Are there 9 speed Exact Actuation RDs? I thought it was 10 speed specifically for MTB.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Are there 9 speed Exact Actuation RDs? I thought it was 10 speed specifically for MTB.
Perhaps not. I thought some of the X series RDs were released with 9s groups and used Exact Actuation, but I'm not sure of that. I suppose that's beside the point, though. It's the shifter that tells an Exact Actuation RD where to put the chain over the cog.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I have a GX 10s that is normal Exact Actuation. I used it for an 11-36 cassette in 2x mode. It's not clutched obviously.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
This Speedvagen was set up with Rival 22 WiFli (same derailleur geometry), no RoadLink, 11-36 cassette, and compact rings. Probably didn't take up all the chain in small ring and the 11/12 cogs, but there's no reason to run those combos anyway.

Beautiful bike - someday I hope to have one of those...
Old 01-12-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
No. 10/11 share the same cable pull ratios, and can be interchanged road and mtb shifters and derailleurs which is pretty awesome for interchanging and giving more options - and a sram front shifter can operate a dropper post.

9s is unique as I found out the hard way trying to run a 10s shifter with a 9s RD on a bitsa bike for running errands, and not sure about 12 but I think also different.

A medium RD will take a 36 no problem and a 42 if running 1x but you are at the limit and when I put a 11-42 on my CX bike I went to a long cage.

Last edited by .RJ; 01-12-2021 at 09:10 AM.