Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2007, 12:48 PM

Dave, I've used a computrainer for several years. I mostly use it for intervals and to just dial in a particular wattage for a given time. I think it is easily the most realistic feeling trainer I've ever used, no surging or jerky feel.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

just bought a computrainer

well i took the plunge and got a computrainer. i haven't hooked it up yet since i still need to decide what computer i'm going to use. from what i can tell just by putting the unit together it is easily the best built trainer i have ever touched. i have two friends that have been using their computrainers for over 10 years and never a problem.
in my case i wanted one to use for training but i also will use it during my fitting sessions if a customer desires to have the data that can be generated.
i think i'm going to be very pleased with the purchase.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:47 PM

Post No doubt... Tacx

Dave --

I've owned both a Computrainer and a Tacx Fortius system (for the past year) and the Tacx is the way to go. First, the Tacx has a better road feel. It uses a motor brake that changes resistance based on slope (and even drives the wheel when you are on a downhill part of a course). Second, there are a lot of riding options including live (internet or side-by-side) racing, real life videos, virtual reality cycling, or standard set-the-power and go. But the biggest plus for me is the virtual cycling league. You race as part of a team and individual against a virtual reality course every two weeks. You can race and upload as often as you like to get the fastest time. I am a member of a team with Americans, Belgians, Brits, and Aussies. After a few months, you'll know your competition and we're not above talking trash and calling each other out when we get a good round. I have a rider from Norway that beat be by a second in the current round which will force another ride on this course.

I first rode the Tacx system at the Zurich 6-day races and later against my daughter at the World Championships. Unlike Computrainer which is US-centric, you will find Tacx systems predominate here in Europe.

Ultimately the best system is the one that gets you on the bike. I'm riding my trainer more now than ever before and really enjoy the competition. I frequently have higher heart rates in a virtual race than on-the-road riding. Good luck.

Let me know if you want to know more.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Among all of the electonic trainers available now, if you don't get the computrainer, you will end up wishing you had in the long run.
I've had a www.tacxvr.com for 2 years now and don't wish I had a computrainer.

Maybe you shouldn't have told me?
Old 02-24-2008, 06:32 PM

dave,
can't make comparisons to other electronic trainers 'cause i've only used the computrainer.
before i had the computrainer, i dreaded indoor riding. 15 minutes and i was bored. 30 minutes was torture.
after getting the computrainer, i can do up to 3 hours without going crazy.
there are tons of pre-programmed rides and with the CT software, you can program your own rides and wattage specific intervals.
tons there to keep you busy, challenged and interested.