Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 10:14 AM

New Santa Barbara bike laws

Some EBiker behavior backlash in SB

Cant find text of the rules anywhere, but several articles include the statements "riders must ride single file, use bike lanes" and organized group ride will be prohibited.

https://www.noozhawk.com/santa-barba...ike-ordinance/

https://www.independent.com/2024/10/...santa-barbara/
Old Today, 10:54 AM

Here is the text...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ordinance_10.15.24.pdf (316.9 KB, 12 views)
Old Today, 10:57 AM

I wonder if these local ordinances are all ;egal? In most states, local ordinances can't supercede state laws. So for example, if state law allows bicycles (e-bikes) to ride double file, a local ordinance can't require them to ride single file. A local town near me tried to make special laws governing bicycles on the local roads, but they were shot down because they violated state laws.
Old Today, 11:49 AM
Post Mod-ern

Laws like this . . .

. . . will remain in place until they ticket a group ride with some lawyers in it.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old Today, 12:01 PM
Post Mod-ern

All sorts of amusing parts to this . . .

--ordinance calls them "electronic bicycles."

--7. Engaging in racing or speed contests while riding on a public street, public right of away, sidewalk, bicycle path, lane, or trail . . . The county and/or town line sprint is not outlawed!

--8. Intentionally swerving or riding around stopped or slowed traffic . . . so no passing on the right?

--10. Operating a bicycle or e-conveyance at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions then existing taking into account the weather, pedestrian and vehicular traffic, and the surface and width of the sidewalk or roadway. . . . Seems like it would be dependent on the skill of the operator.

--C. All bicycles and electric bicycles shall have reflectors affixed to both the front and back wheels and on the rear of the bicycle or electric bicycle. . . . Tailor made for profiling.

I don't see anything in this that prohibits a "group ride." Of course if it did, they would have to give a definition of what constitutes a "group."

You can bet this is just like hundreds of laws across the country that are enforced only when the rider happens to be the wrong color or ethnicity.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old Today, 12:16 PM

Don’t let him catch you popping a wheelie!

It sounds like this group graduated from being in charge of an HOA. This is what you get when you support having a lot of government.
Old Today, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
Don’t let him catch you popping a wheelie!

It sounds like this group graduated from being in charge of an HOA. This is what you get when you support having a lot of government.
I live in a tourist beach town where the bikers are out of control whether or not they are tourists using rental bikes, local kids getting around town or the surfers using e-bikes to get to the local breaks and avoid parking hassles. Not only are they breaking a number of laws, crossing double yellows, running lights and stop signs, riding on sidewalks, no helmets etc etc. Then you have the local hoodlum kids popping wheelies as they go against traffic and vandalizing property and throwing soda etc at pedestrians, cars (my neighbor) and other cyclists (me and others I know). They have figured out they can get an away with it because escape is so easy. Law enforcement is basically neutered and people are calling for something to be done. It’s not over reaching government its residents and businesses wanting some sort of action to be taken.

Unfortunately nothing is really going to be done until some cute little 12 year old girl meets the front end of a vehicle when she runs that stop light or sign. Then everyone will cry how did it get this way and its so tragic.
Old Today, 01:11 PM

If it's necessary to manage the e-bike crowd, I can see that. Local laws or ordinances that run contrary to state laws will remain in place until someone challenges them in court. I don't believe that the state seeks out localities violating state statutes. I think the locals are counting on apathy from the bike crowd to just complain but not legally challenge.

I ran into this issue in VA Beach. One neighborhood HOA insisted that cyclists stay under 15 mph, while the posted limit is 25. I saw cyclists ticketed for running stop signs, but never speeding even though someone would usually walk up on the cop and cyclist to complain.
Old Today, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm714 View Post
I live in a tourist beach town where the bikers are out of control whether or not they are tourists using rental bikes, local kids getting around town or the surfers using e-bikes to get to the local breaks and avoid parking hassles. Not only are they breaking a number of laws, crossing double yellows, running lights and stop signs, riding on sidewalks, no helmets etc etc. Then you have the local hoodlum kids popping wheelies as they go against traffic and vandalizing property and throwing soda etc at pedestrians, cars (my neighbor) and other cyclists (me and others I know). They have figured out they can get an away with it because escape is so easy. Law enforcement is basically neutered and people are calling for something to be done. It’s not over reaching government its residents and businesses wanting some sort of action to be taken.

Unfortunately nothing is really going to be done until some cute little 12 year old girl meets the front end of a vehicle when she runs that stop light or sign. Then everyone will cry how did it get this way and its so tragic.
An e-bike is to a motorcycle as a low speed vehicle is to a car. (Low speed vehicles are neighborhood ev's and golf carts.)

To drive a low speed vehicle on public roads in California you must have a driver's license or learner's permit and auto insurance. Since those laws are already in place, I don't think it's a stretch to say when riding on public roads an e-bike rider must have the same qualifications as a motorcycle rider.

Last edited by dgauthier; Today at 01:24 PM.
Old Today, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
An e-bike is to a motorcycle as a low speed vehicle is to a car. (Low speed vehicles are neighborhood ev's and golf carts.)

To drive a low speed vehicle in California you must have a driver's license or learner's permit and auto insurance. Since that's the case, I don't think it's a stretch to say an e-bike rider must have the same qualifications as a motorcycle rider.
What’s your point? Because it’s written about ad nauseum on the local FB pages about licenses, permits, insurance and helmets.

In my city there are 70,000 residents. Last time I talked to the police chief he has 5/6 officers on patrol at a time. One of them Monday-Friday is a motor officer whose sole duty is traffic enforcement. E-bikes aren’t a priority. So ordinances will be passed but enforcement wont happen.

And as I said, on an ebike it’s pretty easy to ditch the cops as the kids have figured out.
Old Today, 01:35 PM

Quote:
What’s your point? (...)
My point is e-bikes are currently treated like bicycles under the law. They should be classified as motor vehicles. Period.

https://www.calbike.org/california-e...lassifications

Last edited by dgauthier; Today at 01:37 PM.
Old Today, 01:53 PM

Quote:
My point is e-bikes are currently treated like bicycles under the law. They should be classified as motor vehicles. Period.

Without enforcement it doesn’t matter. Then when it does get enforced the kids parents will be at a city council screaming about the unfair treatment of their kid. And how it’s just a bike and you’re hurting how they get around town. Then enforcement will be modified (reduced).

Thus my comment about just wait till the cute little girl gets smashed then we will be back at the same city council meeting demanding enforcement happen or something else.
Old Today, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Without enforcement it doesn’t matter. Then when it does get enforced the kids parents will be at a city council screaming about the unfair treatment of their kid. And how it’s just a bike and you’re hurting how they get around town. Then enforcement will be modified (reduced).

Thus my comment about just wait till the cute little girl gets smashed then we will be back at the same city council meeting demanding enforcement happen or something else.
If e-bikes are classified as motor vehicles, and have the same requirements as motorcycles, kids won't be riding them until they're 16 and have gotten their license. Which would be perfect.

Last edited by dgauthier; Today at 01:59 PM.
Old Today, 02:03 PM

Quote:

In my state of Massachusetts, recent laws have been passed to define Electric Bicycles. The law now recognizes Class 1 and Class 2 e-bikes as Electric Bicycles, and applies the same laws as for bicyces, except that:

- Local municipalities or other agencies that have jurisdiction over bike paths may prohibit or otherwise regulate them. So for example, the bike path that benb mentioned as having a lot of bike accidents could ban e-bikes. However, I have not heard of e-bikes being banned on any Mass. bike paths.

- E-bikes are banned from natural surface trails that are off-limit to motorized vehicles (such as conservation paths and hiking trails). (For that matter, there are almost no publicly owned off-road trails in New England that allow e-bikes)

However Massachusetts does not recognize Class 3 e-bikes, and instead they fall under the category of Motorized Bicycles (which is the legacy category for mopeds and many motor scooters). This means that state law requires that Class 3 e-bkes need to be registered and display a number plate, can not be operated on an off-road bike path, can not be operated by anyone under 16, the operator must have a operators license (a motorcycle or automobile license will do), and the operator must wear a DOT approved helmet. Despite these requirements, I've never seen a Class-3 e-bike with a license plate, nor the rider wearing a DOT helmet, nor have I heard of any rider being ticketed for any infractions of these requirements.

There are several bike shops in the area that sell Class 3 e-bikes, such as the Trek Domane+, the Specialized Turbo Creo and the Cervelo Rouvida. But I've never heard of any of these shops spelling out the legal requirements to potential customers, or even having a license plate installed or lending the customers a DOT helmet when they are taken for a test ride.
Old Today, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Or until Block Island threatens to secede from Rhode Island again (like they did in response to the state not allowing them to regulate mopeds):

https://www.providencejournal.com/st...s/71602948007/