Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2021, 01:41 PM

BB Facing/Chasing Tool Recommendations?

Hey all,

Anyone have a BB facing/chasing tool that isn't $650 like the Park BTS-1?

I've seen budget options from Hozan, Cyclus, Ice Toolz, Chain Reaction, and random stuff on eBay coming out of the far East but unsure of what's an acceptable tool on a budget.

Basically, I'd love to get setup with a tapping and facing setup for closer to $300 if possible. I only do this a few times a year, but LBS's that are totally on board to do this for me are few and far between, and I like having the tool for the job y'know?

Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited by Pegoready; 01-24-2021 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:11 PM

I have generally been happy with Hozan tools, though no experience with this specific one.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:42 PM
Randomhead

Cyclus tap and facing tool is pretty nice and I don't think it costs as much as the park.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Cyclus tap and facing tool is pretty nice and I don't think it costs as much as the park.
Thanks! Does this look good?

https://www.rosebikes.ie/cyclus-tool...ing-tool-22910

And according to the description I'd have to add dies, so these?

https://www.rosebikes.ie/cyclus-tool...ing-tool-22634

If that's the case I could be done in under $300 with BSA and ITA included.

How is that tool different from this one:

https://www.unitedbicyclesupply.com/...et&tc=Tap_Sets

Not that the UBS tool appears to be buyable by an end user...
Old 01-24-2021, 05:19 PM

choose Cyclus

I have a lot of experience with many brands. The Cyclus with the BB taps and facer all in one tool is what you want. It is awesome. I just tapped my wife's frame and could have reached into my Campy box - which would have required me to use the taps and then take them out and put in the guides to use the facer. The Cyclus all-in-one unit is more convenient and faster but more importantly because the taps serve as the facer guides is probably more accurate. The Parks don't compare. In fact I the facing unit is not accurate enough for me. The guides and facer have too much tolerance for my standards.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:46 PM

Looks like the all in one, is more efficient as its a single setup/operation to tap/face. I would guess if its available, you could also get italian taps for it although it says parts are not interchangeable on the UBS site... not sure if that means just between their different levels of facing/tapping tools, or something else.

Of the ones I have used (Campy/Park/Var/Cobra) I liked the Campy the best for the fit tolerances, but only one shop I ever worked in had them. That shop owner liked to show off the (mostly incomplete,) Campy toolkit they had, he was not mechanically inclined and inherited the tools from the prior owners. The Park BB taps are fine, the facer is ok but the screw in guides are Meh... you can use the taps for guides using the one BB/Facer tool, but you don't get the spring to pull the facer against the frame.

Taps for Var, which I have at home, work great. The Var facing tool is a slightly loose fit with the press fit guides. I don't have a guide for the far superior Italian thread, so will probably get a brass shim made at some point, and possibly get a shim for english too.

Doug, who do you use for tool sharpening? My facing cutters could use a sharpening.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
Doug, who do you use for tool sharpening? My facing cutters could use a sharpening.
Without the ability look back at my old receipts, what I remember is McKenzie (spelling?) in Oregon. Andy at Strawberry could give more precise information. The reason I have gone with them is that they are familiar with Campy and Var and other frame tools.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:11 PM
Randomhead

The all in one Cyclus is the one I have used. You run the taps in, push a button and the taps can stay in the frame while you face. Not sure how the other one works.

Otoh, if it uses the same facers and dies I would definitely save some money, it can't be that much less efficient.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post

Jim Kish sharpened a set for me: http://www.kishbike.com/services/
Have zero complaints.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:28 PM

I've used Campy. Excellent steel, precisely made, and wears well.

I'm not a fan of Park tools. They are the opposite of Campy, soft steel, loosely made, wear out quickly. They are expensive as you have to keep buying them over and over again. Campy once and done.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic View Post
I have a lot of experience with many brands. The Cyclus with the BB taps and facer all in one tool is what you want. It is awesome. I just tapped my wife's frame and could have reached into my Campy box - which would have required me to use the taps and then take them out and put in the guides to use the facer. The Cyclus all-in-one unit is more convenient and faster but more importantly because the taps serve as the facer guides is probably more accurate. The Parks don't compare. In fact I the facing unit is not accurate enough for me. The guides and facer have too much tolerance for my standards.
Agree. I have used the Cyclus tools and have a fair number of their other tools(Campag UT bearing puller and press, as an example) and they are nice.
Park..I bought a 1/18 fork crown race facing tool from Park(early..when 1 inch was more common)..and first time I used it it broke a tooth and buggered up the steerer..so...no mas Park cutting tools for this wrench.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:12 AM

I am in the exact same boat and also was looking for a reasonably priced facing tool. Arrived at the exact same conclusion that the Cyclus tool was worth trying out and also using Rosebikes as the source. My bike already has threads so I just ordered the tool.

Anyone have experience with RoseBikes? I was nervous as I've never heard of them before so I just purchased the facing tool to see if it arrived before spending more money there.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:01 PM

Just wanted to follow up incase anyone else needs a BB facing tool. The Cyclus tool is quite good. No issues with Rose bikes either. As Pegoready mentioned it does not come with the threading tool, just a facing tool.

Only knock on this tool is that it could have also served as a head tube facing tool if the inner bolt was longer. Their headset facing tool is the same design but just longer (but frustratingly only works for up to 190mm head tube). One could probably create an extension to the inner bolt and could have it serve both as bottom bracket facing tool and head tube (with the appropriate cutting heads).
Old 02-06-2021, 10:29 PM

I bought the Cyclus combo tool. It's in the mail from Germany. Hoping it's good!
Old 02-06-2021, 11:02 PM

Where did you order from? Do you mind sharing a link please?