Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2024, 11:02 AM

How do you feel about ugly bicycles?

I know the definition of ugly is relative but we all do have some idea of what we think is an ugly bicycle. Would you ride an ugly bicycle? Do you ride an ugly bicycle? What do you think is the ugliest bicycle? How good would a ugly bicycle have to be for you to ride it?

Specialized Venge ViAS - Tinkoff-Saxo - Peter Sagan - 01 by bicycletricycle666, on Flickr
D935B1E8-92AA-4295-BE54-B01F8B7BA109 by bicycletricycle666, on Flickr
Screenshot 2024-04-08 114238 by bicycletricycle666, on Flickr
8510487162_5e84b980ab_o by bicycletricycle666, on Flickr
zipphistorypagepurple-2001 by bicycletricycle666, on Flickr
flying-gate-2 by bicycletricycle666, on Flickr
Hope-HB-T-Olympic-carbon-track-bike_3D-printed-titanium_unique-Lotus-designed-wide-legged-lightweight-track-bike_angled-front-768x640 by bicycletricycle666, on Flickr
Old 04-08-2024, 11:07 AM

I rode this one yesterday... with Campy even!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0807.jpg (119.9 KB, 505 views)
Old 04-08-2024, 11:11 AM
n - 1

My opinion on what’s considered an ugly bike is the same as an ugly sports car.
Only Ugly when not ridden/driven. Showroom queens = 🤮

And anything made by Trek
Old 04-08-2024, 11:15 AM

I wouldn`t ride an ugly bike if I can help it. I`m totally convinced that I like bikes way more than what I like riding bikes, and I ride 15 hours a week.

The question is... if I couldn`t ride a bike that isn`t ugly, would I ride at all? I`m not ready to answer this.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:20 AM

That Lotus is so cool. Can’t believe it’s on your list amongst the others hahah. But I get what you’re saying. Beauty, beholder, etc etc.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:23 AM

Including the Zinn in your lineup isn't fair. That's a custom bike for a very tall rider that makes 700c wheels look like 24" wheels.

And a lot of these choices are viewed through a today's lens. So it's possibly those old full-suspension bikes were considered cutting edge, therefore overlooked for any ugliness at that time.

Better to ride an ugly bike than no bike at all.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:39 AM
Randomhead

I always thought big bikes are ugly. If I wasn't short, I probably would feel differently.

I wonder what the story is on that Zinn, is it for sale? A lot of times when I see pictures of bikes set up like that, I wonder if it's comfortable, because I doubt it. The way those handlebars are angled, I think it might cause wrist problems. At some point, an upright bike might be better.

That lotus bike is ugly too. My rule for bikes is if it don't look right, it ain't right.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:09 PM
Back At It!

as I responded in a similar thread a couple weeks ago, part if cycling for me is the stuff that is extra to actual riding.. I like all of the "stuff" that comes with bikes and just love bikes in general.. but, I will only buy a bike that I find interesting and, in my eyes, looks good.. I actually had a real hard time buying the used Roubaix (SL4) I bought when I got to Sonoma County because it was mostly black with a bit of white.. looked really boring to me, but since it was used and I needed a bike I did.. bike is great, but it doesn't inspire me when I look at it.. similarly, I generally love Rivendells, but I just can't get to a point where I'd ever buy a double top tube bike or one of the dropped top tube, long chainstay bikes.. I just don't care for how they look..

so I guess my answer is I'm a bit of diva when it comes to the looks of a bike that I would actually buy or ride as my own..
Old 04-08-2024, 12:16 PM
Sunshine

How do I feel about them? Well, I feel like I dont like the look of ugly bikes as much as beautiful bikes.

As one who rides bikes with 650mm stack, 410mm reach, and some spacers- I accept that my bikes are not beautiful to most people. I try to church em up in little ways, but recognize they are more function than form.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
How do I feel about them? Well, I feel like I dont like the look of ugly bikes as much as beautiful bikes.

As one who rides bikes with 650mm stack, 410mm reach, and some spacers- I accept that my bikes are not beautiful to most people. I try to church em up in little ways, but recognize they are more function than form.
spacers (unless REALLY high) don't bother me.. nor does a longer head tube (again, to an extent..).. but I also love the looks of a classic steel road race bike with a fistful of seat post and bars much closer to saddle than what we see today.. but I also don't mind a bit of slope to the tt as well..

we all have weird and different views on "what's proper".. as long as we're not trying to "yuck someone else's yum" by talking crap about their short or upturned stem, etc, we're all good..
Old 04-08-2024, 12:43 PM

I think looks for me are mostly a matter of proportion. Since wheels are mostly a constant size, this brings in the size of the rider. Surprise! I like the looks of bikes in my size which is about a Medium.

One thing that I do not like is the huge drop that some builders include on their show bikes. I don't think any actual human rides this fit. I think builders just think it makes them a brand for cool people.

My Mom taught me good manners, so I would never say someone's bike is ugly. The more someone seems proud of their bike, the more Ooohing and Aaaahing I'm doing.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:46 PM

I should note that I actually like some of the ugly bikes I posted
Old 04-08-2024, 12:50 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster View Post
My Mom taught me good manners, so I would never say someone's bike is ugly. The more someone seems proud of their bike, the more Ooohing and Aaaahing I'm doing.
this all day long!!!
Old 04-08-2024, 12:53 PM

No sir, I don't like them, but what I can you do? I mean, only classic geometry bikes are beautiful, so that makes all big brand new bikes are not beautiful.
Old 04-08-2024, 03:50 PM

Hmmm...not sure how to answer this. I've had some rides I'd consider ugly but they had a purpose so I was fine with it.

In fact, truth be told, I feel my Softride is pretty ugly and it's heavy. Yet on the road it is so comfortable and so fast!

These wheels help it a bit but it's still not winning any beauty contest.

This disaster was also quite ugly but was an errand bike for awhile. Sucked at that though as everything got stacked high on it and it was a pain to get on when loaded with groceries or such. I won't even mention all the noises the bike made.

This too small 3 speed was pretty rough on the eyes too with certain "unique" features when I got it, like pedals welded (poorly) to the crank arms.
Another old errand bike.

Another bike in which it was seen as either ridiculous and ugly or awesome.
It actually was quite fun and not as uncomfortable as it would seem to be. A badly separated shoulder in a wreck on another bike ended my days with this one before I fully sorted it out.

Finally, I've been told by a few folks that my Azor is ugly. I just can't see it myself. To me it's the perfect errand and cruise around on bike. With an 8 speed IGH, upgraded drum brakes, frame lock for the rear, full fender protection for wet conditions, strong rack with the front putting no weight on the front wheel, etc. While many would consider this in the USA a women's bike, overseas it's seen as a practical step through. So easy to mount when fully loaded with heavy stuff. I can do 30+ miles on this in total comfort and at a respectable pace even.

There's about $5000 in camera gear in the back inside that front rack in this picture. It's a great bike for touring around the valley and shooting pictures.