Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2015, 03:19 AM

Bike storage - hanging / garage

I have had good luck in the past using those hooks from Home Depot/etc to hang bikes. But now, with a few deeper rims, I'm finding the clearances a bit tight. I did find some "extended" hooks with much bigger diameter, but am I right to be slightly concerned about hanging them by the carbon rims?

What are some other options? Figure that I need to mount them vertically, as there are a few bikes between mine, my wife has a roadie that we hang the same way. The townie/cruisers are on the ground, not hung, so they don't count.

What is everyone else doing?

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2015, 03:31 AM

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I would have thought that your carbon rims would suffer far more strain and stress from the road bumps of your average daily ride than they would by hanging on a hook in the ceiling.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I would have thought that your carbon rims would suffer far more strain and stress from the road bumps of your average daily ride than they would by hanging on a hook in the ceiling.
I'd figure as much, but it's also pressure on a part of the rim that doesn't really have it while riding, and maybe more focused? Or maybe I'm just paranoid. 90% of my issue with the hooks is that they aren't normally long enough for the deeper wheels, but the extended ones I bought fix that. We'll see...
Old 08-20-2015, 04:33 AM

It is fine. Think about what that spoke is pulling on.

Said another way. If your rim couldn't handle hanging on that position with 20 pounds of weight, would you want to ride on it?
Old 08-20-2015, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
It is fine. Think about what that spoke is pulling on.

Said another way. If your rim couldn't handle hanging on that position with 20 pounds of weight, would you want to ride on it?
Ok good. Basically just looking for people to tell me "get over it." And as I've kept carbon stuff hanging in the past, I guess I just needed a wakeup.

Still, let's turn this into a "here's my garage setup" thread. Some pics/inspiration as I get mine set up...
Old 08-20-2015, 04:39 AM

I don't see a structural failure, but I could see a carbon rim getting "marred" by hanging on a hook.

I know that Stanley made inexpensive vinyl covered hooks for hanging thinks like rakes and the like.

You could also find some foam pipe insulation or even padded handlebar tape and cover the "Home Depot" hooks.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avincent52 View Post
I don't see a structural failure, but I could see a carbon rim getting "marred" by hanging on a hook.

I know that Stanley made inexpensive vinyl covered hooks for hanging thinks like rakes and the like.

You could also find some foam pipe insulation or even padded handlebar tape and cover the "Home Depot" hooks.
Thanks for giving a voice to my concerns, that's exactly what I meant.

My hooks are all vinyl covered, but I might look at the pipe insulation stuff to be triply sure...
Old 08-20-2015, 09:13 AM
Shoegazer

Yeah, I ran into the same issue with shallow hooks and deep profile rims. I recently installed Steadyracks mounted to two rows of Holey Rail. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:56 AM

I had a monkey bar unit installed, they do a cheaper version that omits the the shelving for hanging bikes and tools etc. Here is a picture from just after it was hung. There are 8 adult bikes on there and a couple of kids scoot bikes and they are well spaced, I put 3 bikes per unit but the company claims that you can get 6, which would allow me to have 17 bikes and the token wife bike (possible but it would be a hassle to get one back out). The hooks are generous, my wheels hang elsewhere but 50 mm carbon wheels hang fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0439.jpg (61.2 KB, 200 views)

Last edited by Idris Icabod; 08-20-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
As usual, the answer begins with "It depends;" Many full carbon rims use the carbon fiber structurally (i.e. the carbon fiber walls bear the spoke tension) and these will probably be strong enough hang the bike by the wheels. But some carbon rims use a non-structural carbon fiber "fairing" bonded onto an aluminum rim extrusion, where the aluminum extrusion bears all the loads (for example, some models or HED and Flo Cycling wheels). The carbon fiber on these rims can be very thin an fragile, and may not bear the weight of a hanging bike.

If in doubt, it is best to consult the manufacturer, as you probably don't want to void the warranty by damaging the rims if they are not meant to bear the weight of a hanging bike.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:56 PM

Thanks for posting this. You're not the only one who needs "get over it". Good to get reassurances from a reliable crowd.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:22 PM

New formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idris Icabod View Post
... the company claims that you can get 6, which would allow me to have 17 bikes and the token wife bike ...
With the installation of this setup, it changes the formula to n+18. Sweet.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:19 PM

Never had a problem hanging my bike with carbon wheels. For deeper carbon wheels I saw a longer version of the basic rubber covered screw hook at Lowes or Ikea, looked perfect for deep carbon wheels. I wrapped some of those large diameter metal hooks with foam and a bike tube on top. Made for very nice padded hooks for mountain bikes, fat bikes and other large volume tire wide rim bikes.

Tags
bike storage