Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworker View Post
I will try this out, but I find the adjustment to be counterintuitive.

This is the recommendation from Dave's blog post: "If you tend to fall forward when your hands are lifted it’s a good bet your saddle could go back. If you tend to fall back then your saddle is way too far back. The latter is pretty rare."

I'm trying to visualize this. If you tend to fall forward, then the saddle should go back. To me, it seems like this would make you fall forward more, as you would be more stretched out on the bike. But I may be all wrong.

Perhaps in moving the seat back, you have shifted your weight back slightly, placing less of your weight on the bars?

While my hands rarely hurt, and I tend to be pretty good in terms of staying low and using my glues, I don't think that I would stay up off of the bars doing the test. ...will check it our.

Thanks.
It is a bit counter-intuitive. But I'll bet that if you are sitting in a chair right now you can test it.

First slide your chair away from the desk a bit and put your feet a foot or so in front of your chair and then lean forward so that you are bent a bit at the waist. Put your hands on the desk. I'll bet there is very little weight on your hands.

Next slide your feet back under the chair so that they are fully under the chair and your butt. Now lean forward and put your hands on the desk. I'll bet you will feel a good bit more weight on your hands.

The reason for this is simple if not obvious - with your feet in front of the chair your hamstrings and butt muscles are supporting your torso so that you don't fall forward. Move the feet back and these massive muscle groups are much less in play and your upper body will be called on more to hold itself up.

This does two things - first is that it influences how much weight is on your hands and that may be of benefit to you. Secondly the weight not on your hands is transferred to your feet and this in turn applies force to the pedals and that is of course a good thing.

I hope that makes sense.

dave