Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 09:18 PM

"Naval Commanders In 2 Deadly Ship Collisions To Be Charged With Negligent Homicide"

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...gligent-homici
Old 01-17-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanile View Post
"Naval Commanders In 2 Deadly Ship Collisions To Be Charged With Negligent Homicide"

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...gligent-homici
I agree with the assessment. They are responsible and having spent a career in the Naval Nuclear Power world, I completely understand why the Director recommended these charges. The father of naval nuclear power:

“Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible.”

― Hyman G. Rickover

He sending a message to all commanders.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:21 AM

not having been a navy person but an avid sailer, i was under the impression that a navy vessel was under the command of a captain. so where does the rank of a commander come in? just curious for all of you navy guys out there. "captain of the ship". or is it just a case of the navy being spread to thin and having to make do?

Last edited by alancw3; 01-17-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post
not having been a navy person but an avid sailer, i was under the impression that a navy vessel was under the command of a captain. so where does a commander come in n rank? just curious for all of you navy guys out there.
The rank structure US Navy:

Ensign, LT junior grade, LT, LT Commander, Commander, Captain, Rear Admiral and on up. When you are the head honcho of a ship, you are called “Captain” of said vessel regardless of your rank. Most destroyers are skippered by Commanders. In some cases you’ll see a small vessel, like a minesweep or some form of patrol boat commanded by a LT Commander or even LT and will still be called the Captain. Aircraft carriers are commanded by Captains who, interestingly, are aircraft pilots and have less sea going experience the the second in command of the ship, a surface warfare officer.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:33 AM
Administrator

the "captain" of a ship is called the "commanding officer".
Old 01-17-2018, 08:53 AM

There was a podcast on this american life talking about this (or similar) incidents.
I think it's this episode for anyone curious.
https://www.thisamericanlife.org/634...ile-situations
Old 01-17-2018, 09:18 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post

Ensign, LT junior grade, LT, LT Commander, Commander, Captain, Rear Admiral and on up. When you are the head honcho of a ship, you are called “Captain” of said vessel regardless of your rank. Most destroyers are skippered by Commanders. In some cases you’ll see a small vessel, like a minesweep or some form of patrol boat commanded by a LT Commander or even LT and will still be called the Captain. Aircraft carriers are commanded by Captains who, interestingly, are aircraft pilots and have less sea going experience the the second in command of the ship, a surface warfare officer.
Has that changed? On the CVs I was on, the XO was an aviator also, also O-6 but obvious ‘twilight’ tour...not gonna get a CV, deep draft or make flag.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post

thank you for clarifying this for me.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Has that changed? On the CVs I was on, the XO was an aviator also, also O-6 but obvious ‘twilight’ tour...not gonna get a CV, deep draft or make flag.
i have no idea what any of these words mean hahaha
Old 01-17-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
No, you are correct. The Commanding Officer and Executive Officer are both carrier aviators. And both usually Captains. In the CVN (nuke carrier) they are both graduates of nuclear power school and attended as Captain-selects on their way to their XO tour. The Navigator is the third in command and is usually a Captain and a helicopter pilot.

On carriers today (all nuclear), the Reactor Officer is the senior Surface Warfare Officer and is a post command (Destroyer, Frigate) Captain. The Reactor Officer is usually go on to Command a Cruiser (major command). Post Cruiser command Surface Warfare Officers that make Admiral are the group commanders in charge of squadrons of Destroyers.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:30 AM

And by message to Commanders, my meaning is those in Command, not the rank of Commander.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanile View Post
i have no idea what any of these words mean hahaha
NavSpeak...’CVs’, aircraft carrier. ‘XO’-executive officer, second in command. ‘Twilight tour’, essentially as far as you’re gonna go in your career, next assignment a lateral not ‘ascending’ job. O-6, Captain rank. USN essentially telling you it’s time to retire.

Thanks Bill, right above. BTW-got your hubs.

Also, XO of a CV doesn’t ‘fleet Up’, become CO. Some command jobs do, aviation squadrons, most do, some don’t.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-17-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
And by message to Commanders, my meaning is those in Command, not the rank of Commander.
Is CV XO still a twilight your? Or do some get a deep draft CO? XO on Forrestal, called him ‘little round mound of sound’...gotta be, heads and beds guy.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Is CV XO still a twilight your? Or do some get a deep draft CO? XO on Forrestal, called him ‘little round mound of sound’...gotta be, heads and beds guy.
Most XO's go on to be a CO. They'll get a deep draft command on some kind of supply ship or other deep draft type ship. Usually an 18 month tour. Then they do some kind of nuclear training refresher in DC before getting their command. XO to CO is the standard route unless they do something stupid and kill their career. The XO I disliked the most went on to command the Reagan and then made Admiral and ended up retiring because of Fat Leonard.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:12 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
The XO I disliked the most went on to command the Reagan and then made Admiral and ended up retiring because of Fat Leonard.
I'd never heard of that so I looked it up...what a mess. The DNI under investigation yet staying in his post and working with a suspended security clearance for 2.5 years!

It looks like the majority of the people involved got away with it....but I can't be too surprised at that outcome. That's a common occurrence in most Govt investigations.