Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2020, 05:25 PM
mentholated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
Three leather jackets? Isn't that redundant and Marie Kondoable?
im aging vintage schott perfectos like that one guy does to tubular tires.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Has anyone on the Forum parted way with a frame they really loved (or thought was really unique) that they didn't sell because of fiscal necessity?

In other words, a frame that was redundant, and probably not going to be ridden much?
Yes in 2002 I sold this Masi after riding it for 13 years
Just because I had my new whiz bang Look 381

In hindsight I always regretted it just because of the history I had with it.

If nothing else I should have hung it on the wall...it deserved to stay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2002_0518_173045AA.JPG (139.2 KB, 254 views)
Old 03-06-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohagen View Post
I have a Redcay that Jim made for me in 1983, and a Weigle that Peter made for me in 1986. Both of them have been run into by cars and have needed frame tubes replaced. Tom Kellogg fixed and repainted the Redcay, Peter repaired his. Both of them have been stolen and recovered. It’s meant to be. I still ride them. I’ll never get rid of them.
I love this
Old 09-19-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohagen View Post
I have a Redcay that Jim made for me in 1983, and a Weigle that Peter made for me in 1986. Both of them have been run into by cars and have needed frame tubes replaced. Tom Kellogg fixed and repainted the Redcay, Peter repaired his. Both of them have been stolen and recovered. It’s meant to be. I still ride them. I’ll never get rid of them.
And I'm updating both with Chorus 12 groups.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:58 PM

I feel I must be in the minority here. I LOVE getting out and riding, road, gravel, mountain, any riding is good riding. I don’t particularly care for working/wrenching on my bikes and while there are brands/bikes that I have special/fond memories of, there isn’t a bike in my collection I wouldn’t sell. They are all replaceable, they’re made to ride, and if they’re not being ridden they may as well go onto someone else who will ride them. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2020, 08:53 PM

I bought a second hand beat up 1989 Cannondale SR800 in college that was one size too big for me. Iit was a teal color with oversized tubing. I didn't have a car so it was everything to me. Really wish I still had it.

Last edited by untarded; 09-19-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:06 PM

I had a Specialized S-Works Venge Tom Boonen Limited Edition with a super cool paint scheme... #2 of 200 that I really LOOOVED. that had been sitting around in the basement.
Specialized even made a Limited Edition S-Works Chicane saddle and S-Works Prevail Helmet that matched (Still have both of those that are BRAND NEW.

I have a few bikes so it was sitting for a bit so I took all the parts off and actually built it back up twice thinking I would ride it again...

I posted it seeing if there was any interest and after going back and forth on the price I let it go to another member and... He sold it within a month !!!
Old 09-20-2020, 05:35 AM

I just parted with a bike I loved. the moment the ebay auction chimed by phone with a cash register noise I felt a twinge of regret. The coolest bike I've ever had, and maybe ever will have.

But, things are just things, and bikes are things. Though that bike occupied a valuable part of my stable as my only drop-bar bike (!) (and, the only bike we have capable of pulling the baby trailer without fussy attachments I don't have), in the cold light of morning, I put about 150 miles on it in the last year, according to Strava.

So, I sold it, and bought a new watch I have been wanting, which I can enjoy 24 hours a day, lol, and downgraded the bike to something cheaper. In the time of life we are in, with very young kids at home and both of us working from home, I have time to ride a few hours a week at the very most. That has me even eyeballing my fancy new mountain bike, which is the one bike I ride, but again I ride it only 3-4 hours a week! I should probably downgrade that, too.

I think about this Bike Snob column a lot. This has to be right. http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2007...your-bike.html

The bike I just let go took me amazing places, but I have had the most fun and memories on an $1100 Surly I rode coast to coast after college. Sold that and don't regret it, either. I will get something wonderful when I have more time and money. And that's fine by me.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
im aging vintage schott perfectos like that one guy does to tubular tires.
That´s timeless good taste
Old 09-20-2020, 08:22 AM

two bikes I wish I had held onto...1990 Vitus 992 and a 1993 Litespeed Classic, the others came and went and am okay with that.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
I just parted with a bike I loved. the moment the ebay auction chimed by phone with a cash register noise I felt a twinge of regret. The coolest bike I've ever had, and maybe ever will have.

But, things are just things, and bikes are things. Though that bike occupied a valuable part of my stable as my only drop-bar bike (!) (and, the only bike we have capable of pulling the baby trailer without fussy attachments I don't have), in the cold light of morning, I put about 150 miles on it in the last year, according to Strava.

So, I sold it, and bought a new watch I have been wanting, which I can enjoy 24 hours a day, lol, and downgraded the bike to something cheaper. In the time of life we are in, with very young kids at home and both of us working from home, I have time to ride a few hours a week at the very most. That has me even eyeballing my fancy new mountain bike, which is the one bike I ride, but again I ride it only 3-4 hours a week! I should probably downgrade that, too.

I think about this Bike Snob column a lot. This has to be right. http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2007...your-bike.html

The bike I just let go took me amazing places, but I have had the most fun and memories on an $1100 Surly I rode coast to coast after college. Sold that and don't regret it, either. I will get something wonderful when I have more time and money. And that's fine by me.
“Remember That Your Bike Has No Soul
You’ve probably heard people say that certain bikes have soul. None of them do. That lugged steel Colnago, that Cinelli track bike, and even that Fat Chance mountain bike are all as devoid of soul as an Avril Lavigne record. I don’t care if Ugo DeRosa himself built your frame while drinking Chianti from a wicker-wrapped bottle, listening to Pagliacci on a warbly phonograph, and discussing the finer points of olive oil with Marcello Mastriani. Bikes don’t have souls—they have decals.”

Haha. Might be a tough sell here...
Old 09-20-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
“Remember That Your Bike Has No Soul

You’ve probably heard people say that certain bikes have soul. None of them do. That lugged steel Colnago, that Cinelli track bike, and even that Fat Chance mountain bike are all as devoid of soul as an Avril Lavigne record. I don’t care if Ugo DeRosa himself built your frame while drinking Chianti from a wicker-wrapped bottle, listening to Pagliacci on a warbly phonograph, and discussing the finer points of olive oil with Marcello Mastriani. Bikes don’t have souls—they have decals.”

Haha. Might be a tough sell here...
That part was clearly the most debatable. And I take with salt. I think he has a sweet custom Engin for instance.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2020, 08:56 AM

Is this an aging process thing?
At 66 I no longer have a desire for a ten bike or more stable like at one time I had.

Now I have five and that covers all my areas of need for cycling year-round
in all conditions.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:03 AM

I had a pretty decent bike collection until our youngest son went off to college three years ago.

I'm happy to say he is now a senior and has no college debt.

Why?

To supplement his tuition costs, I sold off most of my vintage/classic road bikes including a couple of Kvales, a Croll and most of my Italian bikes including a Tommasini, Colnago, two Zullos and a really exceptional Wilier.

The one that hit me hardest was a light green Chris Kvale. While I won't get that one back, I recently acquired an unusual Kvale frameset with canti brakes.

The frameset is heirloom quality and should be a whale of a long term project.

So for me, I'll miss those that are gone, but the best part is helping our son navigate school and the heavy duty costs.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:08 AM
formerly Landshark_98

There are reasonable reasons to sell a treasured bike: you no longer ride, it no longer fits, you need the money, you need the space, you've decided to live a life free of material attachments, you feel emotionally burdened by possessing it, you want to try something different that speaks to you and that will take the bike's place. I've let go of alot of nice bikes, and there are times of nostalgia for some of them but for the most part, I don't look back.

There's one reason for selling though that doesn't resonate with me in the least: the idea that you "don't deserve it or need it" as expressed in the bike snob column and therefore the smart thing to do is to downgrade from Dura Ace to Ultegra yada, yada strikes me as letting others play on your psyche with some weird guilt trip. That downgrade - by the time you sell the existing bike and buy a new lesser model, you've probably saved at best an insignificant amount of money all to assuage some false sense of guilt.

I prefer to. focus on the purpose of "kondo'ing the sh*t out of things" not the mechanics.