Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2010, 06:51 AM
#bottlestorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by srice
Yes, I usually run brake pads on both sides! The pad was ripped out and I found it about 30 feet behind me laying in the middle of the road.

I just laughed out loud...
Old 08-02-2010, 07:21 AM
Senior Shmoozer

Man!
I was all set to post a rip roaring account of
breaking a spoke on my ride Sunday, but... never mind.

VF
Old 08-02-2010, 09:42 AM

Wow, that's something else.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:25 AM
it's all nuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck
I'm not an engineer, but I highly doubt that the air from the blow out was the cause of the rim failure. More likely, hitting something (pothole maybe) caused both the rim failure and the blow out.

i spazed and missed.

mr. squirrel
Old 08-02-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoryfactory
Man!
I was all set to post a rip roaring account of
breaking a spoke on my ride Sunday, but... never mind.

VF
Breaking a spoke? I do that all of the time. Honestly, I should just keep some of the kevlar string touring emergency spokes with me.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:32 AM

"It's likely there was an out of spec production run of that extrusion material."

From two others posting they experienced the same thing, the statement above sounds appropiate.

Now will Velocity admit it, I dont think so, to much liability down the road, if some one gets seriously injured...

Will they replace it, dont hold your hopes up to high, after someone else posted there was only 20 miles on the rim they just built up, and they refused to replace it.

Good luck, and more importantly , you and your bike are still in one piece.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:39 AM
#bottlestorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekonick
Breaking a spoke? I do that all of the time. Honestly, I should just keep some of the kevlar string touring emergency spokes with me.
Its true, all the time. It is like there are little knomes (or his wife) filing the spokes to weaken them.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:14 PM

Any chance this was on or near the weld point, where the two ends are brought together?

Glad you're safe; that's one weird event. I'm another fan of these rims and am surprised. Guess this goes down as "Shyt happens!"
||O,
|| \_/\_
--"----------"'---''-----'---''-------'---
Old 08-02-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan
Any chance this was on or near the weld point, where the two ends are brought together?
Nope - take a look at the first picture. The valve stem is about 6 (out of 32) spokes away from the failure. The joint (these rims aren't welded) is opposite the valve stem.

I have been in touch with Velocity and they aren't blowing me off at this point.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:08 PM

Just got off the phone with the guys at Velocity. After seeing the pics, they want the rim back for failure analysis. They even offered to rebuild the wheel for me. I'm not taking them up on that, but I did offer to send the entire wheel back. They just need the sectioned rim. A new rim will be in the mail to me today.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:06 AM

Contrary to my thoughts, good for you srice
Old 08-03-2010, 12:19 PM

Good response from Velocity. I've got several sets of their rims and have never had a problem but it's nice to know they stand behind their product - especially with such a catastrophic failure.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srice
I was 37 miles into today's century when I had a blowout. Normally, I am used to seeing the tire blown off the rim or the tire split. Today, my rim decided to sacrifice itself and save the tire. This wheel had about 540 miles on it when it failed.
Did you pump the tires to the recommended psi? What is the max psi for a Velocity clincher rim?

Glad to see you are OK!
Old 08-06-2010, 06:59 AM

The tire was pumped to 105-110 psi. I really hope that isn't excessive for a rim. I received a new rim last night and will build the wheel tonight or tomorrow. Even though I experienced a product failure, I have been very pleased with the customer service I received from Velocity. They even threw in a beer koozie since I had a nice discussion of the proximity of the Velocity crew to the Founder's brew pub in Grand Rapids. If you ever get to Grand Rapids, it is worth a stop even if you aren't a beer geek. The beer cheese is incredible and the sandwiches are great.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEABREEZE
"It's likely there was an out of spec production run of that extrusion material."

From two others posting they experienced the same thing, the statement above sounds appropiate.

Now will Velocity admit it, I dont think so, to much liability down the road, if some one gets seriously injured...

Will they replace it, dont hold your hopes up to high, after someone else posted there was only 20 miles on the rim they just built up, and they refused to replace it.

Good luck, and more importantly , you and your bike are still in one piece.

I will sat it depends. I have had very few issues with Veocity rims, have built hundreds, including Aeroheads and have a few 'issues' wit Velocity rims. I have had great responses from velocity USA. Having a new rim go south perhaps because of the build, no they wouldn't warranty that but a side spllt in 500 miles? I'll bet they will if a good bike shop sold the rim.