Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonW87 View Post
I agree that there were missed calls but from where I sit they didn't favour the raps. A big one for me was the offensive foul called on Kawhi when Draymond's heels were clearly in the restricted area. I'm not sure why on that kind of call they can't go to video to decide whether it's an offensive or defensive foul. The foul has been called already anyway.

I will say that if feels strange as a Raptors fan to hear complaints that the Raps are getting the benefit of the whistle.
My gut reaction is that the refs saw how much contact kawhi was initiating in previous games and saw how that led to Looney fracturing his collarbone. They we’re probably trying to steer kawhi towards a more finesse style play to prevent serious injury.

Is that fair? Maybe not, but it’s also not fair to allow so much contact that people are breaking bones.

I’m not saying kawhi broke looneys bones but I think the injuries piling up was an indication that the series could be getting out of control with physicality from a reffing position.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:07 PM

I think I heard that was revised to sternum cartilage injury. And if so it would be directly attributable to the locomotive shoulder driven into his chest by Leonard.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshell View Post
So clever, Flash. No they did not. I don't think anyone suggested that.
There's an implication anytime someone says "The refs" in a not particularly close game over a variety of really non-high leverage calls that somehow different officiating would have led to a different result.

The reality is both teams play with the same garbage 3 refs if there's 3 garbage refs.

It's a lazy and hackneyed complaint to wield when there are way more obvious reasons why the Warriors got punched in the mouth last night. Two missed goaltending calls aren't going to swing that game.

The most obvious being Boogie -- who I love -- looking like a guy who would struggle to jump over a Sunday Newspaper. Any fans of a team in the NBA finals playing Quinn Cook for 27 minutes and expecting a resounding win need to desperately reset their expectations.

Now, do we want the refs to get the high leverage calls right? Of course. But I echo Jaybee's assessment. If you hate NBA refs, go watch literally any NCAA tournament game. You'll pine for the Scott Fosters of the world.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonW87 View Post

I will say that if feels strange as a Raptors fan to hear complaints that the Raps are getting the benefit of the whistle.

Yea....it’s an odd thing to hear, especially when you can clearly see otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
In terms of reffing - try being a raptors fan throughout the regular season and even in the playoffs. Lots of missed and bad calls that don't help the raptors out.

I think the biggest thing is that the raptors are so used to it, they can play through it and Kawhi has adjusted to this fact.

It is fun flipping between the Canadian and US coverage of the games to hear different perspectives of what is going on.
I've been considering finding a stream of the Canadian broadcast, as JVG and MJax are so painful - all while we have the great DB on player and coach updates. C'mon!
Old 06-06-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobslide View Post
I've been considering finding a stream of the Canadian broadcast, as JVG and MJax are so painful - all while we have the great DB on player and coach updates. C'mon!
Lucky to have the option to watch both. Mostly watch the Canadian feed as the ply by play and analyst are enjoyable to listen to - Leo Rautins especially.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobslide View Post
Quote:
Lucky to have the option to watch both. Mostly watch the Canadian feed as the ply by play and analyst are enjoyable to listen to - Leo Rautins especially.
When my first daughter was born 6 years ago, I started watching games on mute, because I was trying to give her a bottle and put her down for a nap. Haven't gone back since. If you have watched enough basketball (and by enough, I mean like 10 games throughout your life) then the announcers aren't telling you anything you didn't know already, and in most cases, they are taking away from the experience. You won't miss anything. For example, I didn't know until I read it this morning that JVG was actually defending the RRWD who pushed Kyle Lowry. I'm glad I didn't have to hear that awful take in real time.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
There's an implication anytime someone says "The refs" in a not particularly close game over a variety of really non-high leverage calls that somehow different officiating would have led to a different result.

The reality is both teams play with the same garbage 3 refs if there's 3 garbage refs.

It's a lazy and hackneyed complaint to wield when there are way more obvious reasons why the Warriors got punched in the mouth last night. Two missed goaltending calls aren't going to swing that game.

The most obvious being Boogie -- who I love -- looking like a guy who would struggle to jump over a Sunday Newspaper. Any fans of a team in the NBA finals playing Quinn Cook for 27 minutes and expecting a resounding win need to desperately reset their expectations.

Now, do we want the refs to get the high leverage calls right? Of course. But I echo Jaybee's assessment. If you hate NBA refs, go watch literally any NCAA tournament game. You'll pine for the Scott Fosters of the world.
IME, when you hear people talk about how bad NBA (or whatever sports league) officiating is, it's because they primarily watch games of their team, and not random Wednesday night games of teams they couldn't care less about. When you watch the prism of your team getting shafted, it's easy to see all the missed calls. When you don't have any emotional investment, you might see some calls you think are wrong, but you'll notice that they happen to both teams and are pretty infrequent in the grand scheme.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:49 PM

Flash, you are a good arguer and you write like an intelligent person. I love how eloquently you missed the point/gist.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:07 PM

The media is loving this post season.

According to “sources” there’s a chance Kevon Looney comes back now. Haha
Old 06-06-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
The media is loving this post season.

According to “sources” there’s a chance Kevon Looney comes back now. Haha
From a sternum cartilage injury? Judging from my own (hit it on the stem cap while going OTB) Kevon Looney is 50x as tough as I ever will be. I can remember holding my breath for 10 seconds at a time just so the pain would stop.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:12 PM

Yeah. I doubt it but they have to write about something on the off day.

Kawhi leonard could’ve had the hiccups last night and there would be analysts trying to figure out what that means
Old 06-06-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post

The Sunday NY Times is a very thick newspaper. I challenge you to jump over it...
Old 06-06-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
IME, when you hear people talk about how bad NBA (or whatever sports league) officiating is, it's because they primarily watch games of their team, and not random Wednesday night games of teams they couldn't care less about. When you watch the prism of your team getting shafted, it's easy to see all the missed calls. When you don't have any emotional investment, you might see some calls you think are wrong, but you'll notice that they happen to both teams and are pretty infrequent in the grand scheme.
It's those random Wednesday games where you see the really egregious calls. My God. Bad officiating is a Wednesday night Hawks/Knicks game with absolutely zero stakes for anyone anywhere. The NBA assigns their worst crews to that stuff, and if you're a fan of a team being deliberately awful, man do you see some bad NBA officiating.

By contrast, the stuff in the playoffs looks like the Wisdom of Solomon. And even then nobody bats a 1000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshell View Post
Flash, you are a good arguer and you write like an intelligent person. I love how eloquently you missed the point/gist.
Then explain it like I'm a stupid person.

Because there's a lot of complaining the last few pages about "the refs" that would fit on any segment of Tommy from Quinzee calling in to talk to Murph and the Mad Dog.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Much prefer Jack to Leo. I don't think I'm alone.