Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2022, 08:23 AM

Bored - 2021 miles figured up for each of the 28 bikes I rode

Made a comment on my post about the David Kirk built Fishlips bike last night that got me curious about how many miles I put on each bike last year.

Woke up early this morning and I was bored. So I downloaded my 2021 info from Strava, sorted the spreadsheet per bike, added up the distance, converted it from KM to miles, and recorded. Some rounding up of tenths of a mile so it may be a tad off. But looks like I rode 28 different bikes this year for 4237 miles. Even though the Azor dutch bike has some miles assigned to it the reality for that one is it had a lot more miles on it just running errands where I didn't track them.

Trek Y-Foil 373 miles the most miles

Giordana Xl Super 113 miles

Greg Lemond Team Z 151 miles

Girodana Superleggera 107 miles

Allsop Powercurve Softride 37 miles

Pinarello Monviso 149 miles

Schwinn PDG Paramount 146 miles

Paletti 128 miles

Fuji Opus III 121 miles

Olmo Sanremo 50 miles built up right before winter weather hit.

Ochsner SL 7 miles Sold this year

De Rosa Neo Pro 230 miles

Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune 75 miles

Klein Quantum II 137 miles

Kirk Fishlips 258 miles

Kona Jake the Snake 79 miles Sold This Year

Pashley Guv’nor 259 miles

Wayne Evans 278 miles

Duell Vienna 277 miles

De Rosa Nuovo Classico 25 miles Sold This Year

Davidson Impulse 264 miles

Custom Lemond GP&GS 184 miles

Serotta CSI 210 miles

Cannondale CAAD8 Optimo 156 miles

Azor 30 miles

Miyata 914 se 25 miles Sold This Year

Trek 5200 158 miles

Schwinn 684 65 miles Sold This Year

Anyway, at least this verifies that they all do get used. Didn't have any at zero miles for the years. Some were lower that I expected but that's because I am slow to fix mechanical issues because there's always just another bike to take out. And now...back to my coffee.

Last edited by jamesdak; 01-15-2022 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:50 AM

Great post from a dude that knows his bikes.

Start of the pandemic quarantine gave me the time to ride all my bikes, and I love finding the quirks and characteristics of each one.

What is it about that y foil that makes it the go to? Can’t say I’ve ever seen one in the wild.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:50 AM

Interesting, do you ride each bike on a whim throughout the year? Or were there phases of different bikes/types?

I ride a lot of different bikes during the year and my choice is almost entirely dictated by if the trails are too wet to ride or not.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:28 AM

Easier for me with fewer bikes

Firefly 1483
Casati (sold) 56
Bob Jackson 516
Big Dummy 56
Litespeed 508
Pivot 429C 564
Nagasawa 152
Strong 1905
Raleigh 20 folder 4
Old 01-15-2022, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post

What is it about that y foil that makes it the go to? Can’t say I’ve ever seen one in the wild.
Funny thing is I don't even consider the Y-Foil one of my top 3 bikes. I think I just took it out a lot this year because it matched the new patriotic kit I got and liked to wear. So this Y -Foil and the PDG Paramount got out a lot.

I'll do longer climbing rides on the Y-Foil due to it's gearing where the PDG with a 42T small ring normally sees more flat, faster and shorter rides.

Old 01-15-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
Interesting, do you ride each bike on a whim throughout the year? Or were there phases of different bikes/types?

I ride a lot of different bikes during the year and my choice is almost entirely dictated by if the trails are too wet to ride or not.
Ummm.... a whim...with a purpose.

Like if really windy I'll not take the Y-Foil or a couple of the bikes with deeper wheels. If climbing I'll take a triple or compact crank normally. Unless I want to hurt or play tough or something in which case I'll take one of the 42T small ring bikes.

Some of the bikes are more comfortable so if I'm sore or tired from a previous days ride I'll normally grab one of the rides with a Brooks style leather saddle or one of the Fizik Kurve saddled bikes.

Sometimes I just want that certain feeling one of the special bikes give like the Giordana XL Super or the Fuji Opus III. Both are almost better than sex now at my age, LOL!

And usually each year I pick one month were I set a goal of riding a different bike each day until I've gone through all of them. That was "modified" this year by the silly goal of trying to do a 19 mph avg on all the road bikes.

The Guv'nor is just for fun rides although I don't hold back on the mileage. It's just limited by it's design, 3 wide gears, heavy weight, unconvential riding position, etc. It's tops for grins per mile though.

Weather is a factor too. Once winter chemicals are put on the roads only a couple of "junker" bikes get used until spring rains clear the road surfaces. That's were I'm struggling right now. The Schwinn 684 was going to be my winter bike and yet it sold about a week ago so I'm not sure what to use. Thinking the De Rosa since it's paint has so much wear anyway.

So yeah some thought goes into it but a lot of the time I just come home from work, walk into the bike cave and grab something, then head out.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:42 AM

I love this idea. I don't set that specific goal but with eight bikes once in a while I try to ride seven in a week. The Raleigh 20 sorta doesn't count...

With as many as you have, you'd need a spreadsheet to keep track, or maybe you put a sticky dot on the saddle of the ones already ridden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Snip

And usually each year I pick one month were I set a goal of riding a different bike each day until I've gone through all of them.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:20 PM

No pie chart? What's up with that?
Old 01-15-2022, 12:35 PM
Registered (ab)User

When I first started tracking annual mileage it was mostly as a way to keep track of maintenance* so I broke out the individual bikes on an Excel spreadsheet. I finally got a Wahoo about a year ago so I guess I could look at my RideWithGPS stats and somehow extract which rides were on which bikes -- right? -- but I still maintain those Excel spreadsheets so it's actually really easy to see the distribution.

For 2021, I rode:
- 1,364 miles on the Strong
- 897 miles on the Sachs
- 2,975 miles on the Cannondale Synapse
- 1,044 miles on the Cannondale CAADX

*okay, who am I kidding? it was mostly for bragging rights!
Old 01-15-2022, 12:53 PM

It's much easier for me. I have two bikes and put about the same mileage on each one to get 5700 miles last year.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:10 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

#Like on the OP/THread.

I don't track miles anymore... My 'get off my lawn' cranky demeanor with any/all devices last 5 years has me not bothering with them much. I do use the Garmin Varia, and seems like resets are too frequent even with that. Just wanna ride, not fidget.

But hands down outta a lot of nice steeds the Domane Team Issue used most. But really I have some dupes. The EP build unseated all use of the 585 for example.

FWIW, the Y-Foil was used mostly years back when I had one. Boy, that was so body friendly for me...
Old 01-15-2022, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
#Like on the OP/THread.

FWIW, the Y-Foil was used mostly years back when I had one. Boy, that was so body friendly for me...
Yep to me that's the key of that one. It just doesn't have the lively feel of good steel but it is very comfortable without a doubt.

By coincidence my LBS has one up on display and for sale right now.

https://www.thebikeshoppe.com/articl...ale-pg1504.htm

Old 01-15-2022, 08:49 PM

I try to ride each bike at least 500 miles. For 2021:

Kirk JKS 1337
Serotta CTI 507
Serotta CSI cross 619
Trek 5200 495
Bridgestone RB-1 579
Bridgestone RB-T 500
Colnago Dream 747
Rivendell All-Rounder 724
Colnago Master 727
Fuso 503
Seven Axiom 699
Basso Loto 525
Schwinn Paramount P15 564
Serotta Fierte 219

The Kirk is my favorite but I gotta ride the others just to be sure. Also, it’s too nice to ride in bad weather or salty winter roads. I usually have 2-3 in the rotation at any time. The Fierte was a December craigslist pickup while following the “who still rides a serotta” forum thread.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:58 PM

This thread helps me see that I don’t have *that* many bikes nor am I *that* obsessive. I suppose just a little if both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2022, 09:09 PM

A couple amazing collections there, no wonder you guys spread the love out.

I may have to try this this year. Thx for the inspiration.