Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2022, 11:09 AM

Anyone doing Tour du Zwift?

Three years on Zwift in the off season... first time trying it.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:23 AM

yep. not looking forward to doing the big hill tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
yep. not looking forward to doing the big hill tomorrow.
I did stage 2 this morning in Innsbruck. As i stand 198cm and 83kg it was not fun.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:30 AM
Shifty Member

Yup, have a few friends that do it with me and we'll try to do as many stages together as we can. Did the flat one a couple days ago and man I'm out of shape. Though I prefer hillier stages as I can find spots for bringing my heartrate down. With the flat ones, it's hammer the whole time.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:46 AM

I still haven't tried Zwift - and I do a LOT of indoor miles.. all on TrainerRoad. I've always viewed trainer time as being focused on the workout. And I don't know what Zwift offers that I'm not getting with TrainerRoad when it comes to structured training. But I'm willing to be convinced.. or can someone explain how I can stick to my TrainerRoad coaching plan while "playing bikes" on Zwift? Is it really engaging enough that you don't get bored watching your avatar?
Old 01-14-2022, 11:48 AM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I still haven't tried Zwift - and I do a LOT of indoor miles.. all on TrainerRoad. I've always viewed trainer time as being focused on the workout. And I don't know what Zwift offers that I'm not getting with TrainerRoad when it comes to structured training. But I'm willing to be convinced.. or can someone explain how I can stick to my TrainerRoad coaching plan while "playing bikes" on Zwift? Is it really engaging enough that you don't get bored watching your avatar?
if you have an ant+ and a bluetooth sensor, you can use one in zwift and one in TR and just do the TR workout.

i sometimes just like the zwift app so there's people to chase.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
And I don't know what Zwift offers that I'm not getting with TrainerRoad when it comes to structured training
Nothing.

Its a different thing. I like it, but I'm more into the JRA and bunch rides these days.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Nothing.

Its a different thing. I like it, but I'm more into the JRA and bunch rides these days.
Do you know the people you are riding with/around? Do you interact with them? Or is it just seeing other avatars bouncing around on the virtual road?

I should just watch a YT video on it I suppose.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:14 PM
Randomhead

You can interact with the people riding around you. It's just like riding on the road, although drafting is okay, mostly. It's always funny when I'm just doing my own thing and the person takes off when I start passing them. Although the majority of the time that's because they are doing a workout (it looks like there is a book on their handlebars).

They still have free trails. There is a distance limit every month, but you can ride for free.

I didn't think I would like it, but after I did it a while I like it a lot. Not fond of the hills though.

I forget exactly why I joined, but maybe it's because other randonneurs were doing group rides on there. Group rides can be fun if you're with people you know. It's easy to set one up for just you and one other person. Who doesn't actually have to join.
Old 01-14-2022, 03:35 PM

Doing Stage 2 tomorrow, the longer version up AdZ. Might as well get a spin on the prize wheel at the top while I check off Stg 2. I've ridden up AdZ 12 or 13 times and haven't gotten the Lightweights yet.
Old 01-14-2022, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Zwift has a bunch of workouts to choose from. You have to "be your own coach" a bit more and make good decisions about which workouts to do, but if you are able to do this the workouts are as good as any and zwift has a few different FTP tests you can use as well. Personally the playing bikes thing and other people riding around makes the time pass more easily. And you also have PRs and strava segments like on real bikes, as well as session specific KOMS and sprints/leaderboards which to me are fun.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:53 PM

Did stage 2 today, the Innsbruck course. Took about a hour, I pushed a bit but mostly rode with the same group and tried to stay in the low 2w/kg range. It’s fun. Seems like last year something happened and a ride didn’t upload or something and I never officially finished it.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Zwift has a bunch of workouts to choose from. You have to "be your own coach" a bit more and make good decisions about which workouts to do, but if you are able to do this the workouts are as good as any and zwift has a few different FTP tests you can use as well. Personally the playing bikes thing and other people riding around makes the time pass more easily. And you also have PRs and strava segments like on real bikes, as well as session specific KOMS and sprints/leaderboards which to me are fun.
I actually cancelled my TR subscription last summer because I just wouldn't keep up with the scheduled workouts (insert random excuse here); and went soley to Zwift. I like picking my own workout based on how I'm feeling or what I feel like doing... OR more fun is just opening the Events and picking whatever group thing is happening at a good time for me that day.

TdZ this week I did the long and medium routes for Stage 1. I love the group events because you fall in just like you would in a fondo. Fast guys are gonna be gone asap, so you find YOUR people and work together and it's actually more interactive than it sounds.

Stage 2 I'll do sometime soon, but my 5yo wants to have family movie night. So I'll either being going up Alpe at 8pm when she's in bed... or just doing it another day.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
or just doing it another day.
Sounds like you might have answered my question, but can you complete the Tour at any point? Or is there an end date to the event that all stages need to be completed? I've got a smart trainer on the way and I'd like to participate, but I might not get it until next Wednesday.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:10 PM

Anyone doing Tour du Zwift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeryman View Post
Sounds like you might have answered my question, but can you complete the Tour at any point? Or is there an end date to the event that all stages need to be completed? I've got a smart trainer on the way and I'd like to participate, but I might not get it until next Wednesday.

Each stage runs for I think 4 days. And they should do a short makeup round at the end.

https://www.zwift.com/tour-de-zwift/ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by BRad704; 01-14-2022 at 06:13 PM.