Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2015, 11:47 AM

I bought vintage Shamals...Now what?

Long story short, I want to build this bike:

Through a lot of magic and ebay and craigslist and iphones, I am almost there. I found an incredible deal on a set of shamals, and although they are in good condition, the tension is all over the scale. The thought of riding these is a bit scary to me as I am about 185 lb and ride fairly aggressively, and I have never ridden wheels with less than 32 spokes.

Hoping I can receive some input.
Has anyone ever broken a spoke riding these?
Anyone ever rebuilt them? (Paging Dr. Spud)
Thoughts on replacement spokes?
Cleaning brake track?

Pictures below selected and downsized from this album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskkSGMW6

Original decals:

A few spoke holes are beginning to look like this:

C in square on spoke ends (made by campagnolo?)

9 speed on the old style hubs, was this a conversion? Also notice the DT spoke used as a replacement.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:57 AM

Eyelets on rims look dodgy .
C in the square is campagnolo ( have these on campagnolo cables too I think..)
16 spokes on the rear wheel stronger than 12
Personally I'd leave the brake tracks as they are as they're going to be more grippy than polished tracks
Ride em till you break em!
Old 09-22-2015, 12:13 PM

Had them, gave them to a friend and she broke a spoke. She might've been heavier than me at the time as she had a 2nd kid. That said, when I had them, they were rock solid.

I had the freehub converted to Shimano, and I don't remember the original freehub body looking that nice; that said, there were a few versions of the Shamals I think. Dunno which ones I had.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:16 PM

I raced on a pair of Ventos back in the day, both the 8 and 9 spd variants (same basic wheelset). Same rim as Shamal I believe but with 20F/20R spokes. I was between 200-215 and beat on them hard. Never had an issue, only had to slightly true the front once after a wreck.

Generic pic pulled from web.
Vento.jpg

Last edited by donevwil; 09-22-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:31 PM

Dbl post, oops.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:36 PM

That's basically my MXL.

Need to get my shamals retensioned so they're off now but I wouldn't worry. They're pretty bombproof (and HEAVY) wheels.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:39 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_version View Post
Long story short, I want to build this bike:

Through a lot of magic and ebay and craigslist and iphones, I am almost there. I found an incredible deal on a set of shamals, and although they are in good condition, the tension is all over the scale. The thought of riding these is a bit scary to me as I am about 185 lb and ride fairly aggressively, and I have never ridden wheels with less than 32 spokes.

Hoping I can receive some input.
Has anyone ever broken a spoke riding these?
Anyone ever rebuilt them? (Paging Dr. Spud)
Thoughts on replacement spokes?
Cleaning brake track?

Pictures below selected and downsized from this album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskkSGMW6

Original decals:

A few spoke holes are beginning to look like this:

C in square on spoke ends (made by campagnolo?)

9 speed on the old style hubs, was this a conversion? Also notice the DT spoke used as a replacement.

As long as you have the nipple, spokes pretty easy. May not be bladed tho. Probably originally 8s(ti axle), used a 1997 9s free hub body from Record/Chorus 1997 hubs. I'd have a decent wheel builder true/tension before you ride them, then ride them, they are 11s compatible, btw.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:57 PM

Those are first generation Shamals, from the '94-'95 time frame. In '96 the hub was changed to the HPW hub, which used straight pull spokes. Since 9spd wasn't released until '97, the freehub on your wheel was converted from 8spd to 9spd at some point.

Don't worry about the shape of the spoke holes, since these holes don't bear the spoke tension. The rim is actually a 'triple wall' rim, with an extra internal spoke bed in the middle of the rim. The photo below isn't a Shamal rim, but it is of a similar construction:

If you ever need a spoke replacement, make sure you don't lose the special nipples and spoke support plates that sit on the internal spoke bed.

Last edited by Mark McM; 09-22-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:09 PM
bourbon!

I have that exact same frame, paint scheme and all, in a box in my attic. Too small.

You will love it once it's up and rolling.

As for the wheels, I rode a set of Rolf Vector Pro's for years with no issue. I'm 6'5" and 240lb and never an issue. I know they are not the same, but similar construction.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:18 PM

One other note--youve got/a 9s freehub body on those. Of they break, keep the freehub body! There's plenty of 8s shamal sets out there, but all 8s. Finding the 9s body to convert em isn't easy.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
That's basically my MXL.

Need to get my shamals retensioned so they're off now but I wouldn't worry. They're pretty bombproof (and HEAVY) wheels.
Yes it is! You're only missing a 101. I assume you'll be getting some gumwalls for the shamals before you put them back on.

I like my road bikes as heavy as possible, so I can rub it in when I beat my friends up the hill.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
As long as you have the nipple, spokes pretty easy. May not be bladed tho. Probably originally 8s(ti axle), used a 1997 9s free hub body from Record/Chorus 1997 hubs. I'd have a decent wheel builder true/tension before you ride them, then ride them, they are 11s compatible, btw.
I would consider myself a decent wheel builder and I think I will be handling the work. Any thoughts on specific tensions, I have access to a park and wheelsmith tensiometers.

Also I read elsewhere on this forum that although an 11s cassette may fit, one may not be able to use the gear closest to the spokes as the derailleur my make contact.

Much appreciated.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Those are first generation Shamals, from the '94-'95 time frame. In '96 the hub was changed to the HPW hub, which used straight pull spokes. Since 9spd wasn't released until '97, the freehub on your wheel was converted from 8spd to 9spd at some point.

Don't worry about the shape of the spoke holes, since these holes don't bear the spoke tension. The rim is actually a 'triple wall' rim, with an extra internal spoke bed in the middle of the rim. The photo below isn't a Shamal rim, but it is of a similar construction:

If you ever need a spoke replacement, make sure you don't lose the special nipples and spoke support plates that sit on the internal spoke bed.
Thanks for your specific info, just checked out some old catalogs and it seems that you are spot on. Will definitely keep close track of all the parts, just need to track down the correct skewers now.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
I have that exact same frame, paint scheme and all, in a box in my attic. Too small.

You will love it once it's up and rolling.

As for the wheels, I rode a set of Rolf Vector Pro's for years with no issue. I'm 6'5" and 240lb and never an issue. I know they are not the same, but similar construction.
Thanks for your input. In the interest of being specific, your frame is almost like the one pictured above but instead of the dark charcoal base of the FNG scheme, it is dark green, it also does not have the og fork or chromed head lugs.

None of these things prevented me from purchasing your frame as I was about to, the one thing that did was its size. Just a cm too big. You were very helpful and patient with me though, and I hope to be sending a saddle your way someday soon.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeybike View Post
One other note--youve got/a 9s freehub body on those. Of they break, keep the freehub body! There's plenty of 8s shamal sets out there, but all 8s. Finding the 9s body to convert em isn't easy.
Noted!

Tags
campagnolo, campy, merckx, shamal